Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteA

Carrying extra gear to the beach????

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, poopdeck said:

Pack light, freeze at night. I hate carrying stuff so I generally don’t. I’m not one of those guys wearing out the mantra about losing the fish of a lifetime for one reason or another. A few plugs, a few bucktails, pliers, leader, clippers, a little terminal tackle and a bottle of water and I’m all set. I don’t really care if I didn’t catch something because I didn’t bring the tackle shop. 

I also don’t load my car with stuff I can’t carry especially when I know I’m never returning to it until I leave. I’ve had to many broken windows (2) and stuff stolen from my cars over the years to leave anything valuable inside. 

I like this minimalist approach. My favorite spot is about a half a mile walk. Deciding what plugs, bucktails, soft plastics etc. to take in my bag can make me nuts. I tend to fish a few hours on a single stretch of tide, and if I throw 3 or 4 different things, that is a lot. Do others think like this?

47 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Ask Fishless, he's seen it in action.

Haha--i guess that's one way to do it. Let someone else find the fish while you get buzzed. 

On 10/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, MitchellNJ said:

I carry a 24qt cooler full of beer which is handy as a place to sit down and watch to see if anyone catches something first.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, fishless said:

I hope everyone reading this takes note, thats is a real sharpie tip.  

LOL

I feel like I have spent years dialing in what I want / need / am willing to carry and will spend future years doin the same 

Areas and time of year are different 

Dedicated eel trips and Albies are easy to pack light - mixed terrain, mixed conditions, from onshore surf to a calm lee become more complicated 

I will say that I've observed bags or clothes left on the beach get peed on by every single dog and probably a few coyotes that pass by

I take a rod setup and my belt with with the usuals attached, boga, pliers, knife, and 2-tubes. I pack like 6 plug max.

4 of those plug rarely change. I’m still trying to figure out why i have so much gear.

i also quit trying to figure out why I keep buying more.

If it does not fit in my surf bag or a pocket or cannot be attached to my belt- it stays on the truck. You don’t need to carry everything with you. Just be confident in the rod, plugs and gear you do take.

Edited by surfcaster1
Left out word

I've slowly become minimalist.  My carry consists of a AAA mouth light, pliers, a leader wallet, a seamstress cloth tape measure and about 8 items that get casted.  Mouth light and tape measure go in top pocket and everything else goes into a modified ODM AIO bag on a 2" rigid Blackhawk Duty Belt.  The bag slides around and sits on the small of my back when not needed.  I'm having a 5 loop bucktail pouch made as the AIO bag is not setup well for bucktails. 

On 10/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, Dr. Billvis said:

I like this minimalist approach. My favorite spot is about a half a mile walk. Deciding what plugs, bucktails, soft plastics etc. to take in my bag can make me nuts. I tend to fish a few hours on a single stretch of tide, and if I throw 3 or 4 different things, that is a lot. Do others think like this?

Yep, spend 10 minutes staring at my plug bag to figure out what to grab, gotta take this, leave that, need to try this one tonight, etc. 

Then I end up fishing just a few things most of the time. It’s why I dropped down to a 2 tube bag and small buck tail/tin pouch. No reason to haul all that extra stuff around. 

I like to travel light, small surf bag and a water bottle.  Six to eight plugs and keep moving and try to cover as much beach as I can.  Usually carry two of each, metals,  swimmers, paddle tails, darters and pre tied leaders, 20, 30, and 50 lbs for bigger blues. 

On 10/13/2021 at 0:20 PM, joetackle said:

Rod & Reel

1 lure or plug

Pocket Knife

Bottle of water

I like it... But what's the water for? ;) ... If it doesn't fit in my fishing vest, it doesn't go with me... Except for my rod & reel, of course..

Butch

49 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

I like it... But what's the water for? ;) ... If it doesn't fit in my fishing vest, it doesn't go with me... Except for my rod & reel, of course..

Butch

Water can be used for many things beside drinking. Wash a cut, rinse sand out of your eyes, quench the desires of a thirsty mermaid, etc.

Joe

Edited by joetackle