Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteA

Carrying extra gear to the beach????

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Four rods in the car.with a half of my fishing gear from the garage, too.

After I put a waders, one rod in the hand, plug bag on the shoulder and small pouch bag with tins and buck tails, on the belt.

Lately, I start caring pliers, too, since now and than I would have something nice on the hook.

I always have too much crap with me.  If I fish from shore, I rarely move around much.  

Big backpack with:

2-3 tackle boxes

Cutting board

Tape measure (or bump board)

Hockey tape

Extra leaders

Pliers and grips

Bait knife (only fish bait from beach, if I have any)

Two spikes 

Two rods (1 bait, 1 lures)

Folding chair (to keep my stuff off the sand)

Beer / weed

Other stuff

Bucket (if on beach for bait, etc.)

Jetties and marshes I take less.  Kayak, whatever I can fit.

I'm down to one shoulder bag that holds my tackle and lures and knife and grippers...sos fanny pack and the belt holds my pliers and rod holder...my dry top or waders hold my phone.....sometimes I take my wife and she holds my stuff while she sits and suns...

..lol

Trunk holds the extras if I need them.

8 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Four rods in the car.with a half of my fishing gear from the garage, too.

After I put a waders, one rod in the hand, plug bag on the shoulder and small pouch bag with tins and buck tails, on the belt.

Lately, I start caring pliers, too, since now and than I would have something nice on the hook.

I agree. I learned in the army to travel light. Extra gear stay's in the Jeep.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pack light, freeze at night. I hate carrying stuff so I generally don’t. I’m not one of those guys wearing out the mantra about losing the fish of a lifetime for one reason or another. A few plugs, a few bucktails, pliers, leader, clippers, a little terminal tackle and a bottle of water and I’m all set. I don’t really care if I didn’t catch something because I didn’t bring the tackle shop. 

I also don’t load my car with stuff I can’t carry especially when I know I’m never returning to it until I leave. I’ve had to many broken windows (2) and stuff stolen from my cars over the years to leave anything valuable inside. 

Edited by poopdeck

9 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I always have too much crap with me.  If I fish from shore, I rarely move around much.  

Big backpack with:

2-3 tackle boxes

Cutting board

Tape measure (or bump board)

Hockey tape

Extra leaders

Pliers and grips

Bait knife (only fish bait from beach, if I have any)

Two spikes 

Two rods (1 bait, 1 lures)

Folding chair (to keep my stuff off the sand)

Beer / weed

Other stuff

Bucket (if on beach for bait, etc.)

Jetties and marshes I take less.  Kayak, whatever I can fit.

Hockey tape?

40 mins ago, The Gimp said:

Hockey tape?

Priceless for those of us who plug on the move.  Helps close up and gashes that occur in a nights work. 

I carry just what is needed and nothing more. Dont overcomplicate it, its too easy to take stuff you think you MIGHT need and before you know it you look like your camping (unless you actually are). I usually have my waders/foul weather gear/or whatever the spot or forecast calls for on when i leave the car. I got two rods, My surf bag, and a light backpack with water and a couple small ziplocks containing extra precut leader and terminal tackle (incase of a breakoff or something). the more you bring the harder it is to keep track. Ive had plenty of times on rocks in night tides where i lose something and didnt even need it. Save yourself the physical trouble, money, and frustration.

Outside of water (which I keep on my surf belt) and maybe a small snack, I try not to bring anything “extra”. I’m considering starting to bring a stuff sack that can fit whatever my top layer is that day, walking miles through  the sand with waders on makes me overheat on all but  the coldest days. 

19 hours ago, beached again said:

Doesn't eliminate weight but I get everything in one bag.  I find this to be best way (for me) to carry extra buctails. 

20211011_114224.jpg

20211011_114023.jpg

20211011_114012.jpg

20211011_114009.jpg

Damn, that’s a good idea. Also the perfect length for measuring the average size bass people are catching these days.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, MitchellNJ said:

I carry a 24qt cooler full of beer which is handy as a place to sit down and watch to see if anyone catches something first.

Is this a serious post?