viper2788

Saltiga Expedition Discontinued?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Is there a website where I can still find a brand new saltiga expedition 5500h? I bought one used recently for $700 and as nice as the exterior may be, the main gear is worn along with some of its bearings. The overall action isn’t nearly as smooth as I’d like it to be. That being said, would daiwa  still offer repairs for the older saltiga? TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, viper2788 said:

Is there a website where I can still find a brand new saltiga expedition 5500h? I bought one used recently for $700 and as nice as the exterior may be, the main gear is worn along with some of its bearings. The overall action isn’t nearly as smooth as I’d like it to be. That being said, would daiwa  still offer repairs for the older saltiga? TIA

I've read gear set repairs are over 300$ on prior gen saltigas...and that was when they were still current.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK, the Expedition series has been discontinued. I have both reels, 5500H and 8000H. Best advice is to call Daiwa USA to see what they recommend. I was told that the reels would need to go to Daiwa Australia for service, there or Japan. Things may have changed since I last spoke with Daiwa, is why I recommend calling them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Daiwa usually carries important stuff like gears for about 10+ years after end of model.

Keyword is usually.   

 

The EXP gear and pinion cost about $370 for just the 2 parts alone.  The EXP originally cost more to begin with then the non EXP models.

 

 

 

 

Edited by ooeric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

High end Diawa reels honestly are a waste of time and money. Everything breaks and needs servicing, Daiwa is the only company that will take that opportunity to bend you over and take as much money as possible while doing as poor a job as possible. Shimano and Penn will both bend over backwards to get your gear fixed and serviced at a very reasonable cost. 

 

I broke a gen1 torque 5, handle sheared off and bail wire broke. Laid line like crap. Sent it in, replaced main and pinion gear, all bearings, all seals, and all the drag parts trying to troubleshoot my line lay problems. Parts cost over $600 easily. They only charged me a service fee of $75, because it wasn't covered under warranty as I was not the original owner. Parts free. I couldn't possibly be happier.

 

Sell your expedition and get a torque 7 or Stella. Support companies that support people who invest in their product. 

Edited by RedGreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, ooeric said:

@RedGreen

Youre just got unlucky and got lemons.

Ive never had issues with my daiwas and ive been using them since the first Saltiga came out.

Maybe. I won't be finding out. I'm done with Daiwa after the crap I've been through with my saltiga in getting them to fix it. 

 

Fact of the matter is Daiwas support and service is utter garbage compared to everyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, RedGreen said:

High end Diawa reels honestly are a waste of time and money. Everything breaks and needs servicing, Daiwa is the only company that will take that opportunity to bend you over and take as much money as possible while doing as poor a job as possible. Shimano and Penn will both bend over backwards to get your gear fixed and serviced at a very reasonable cost. 

 

I broke a gen1 torque 5, handle sheared off and bail wire broke. Laid line like crap. Sent it in, replaced main and pinion gear, all bearings, all seals, and all the drag parts trying to troubleshoot my line lay problems. Parts cost over $600 easily. They only charged me a service fee of $75, because it wasn't covered under warranty as I was not the original owner. Parts free. I couldn't possibly be happier.

 

Sell your expedition and get a torque 7 or Stella. Support companies that support people who invest in their product. 

Same experience, I needed a handle for an 8K dogfight and was astonished to see the price was $299.

 

Shimano is great, the Stradic is probably one of the best reels ever made in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, t_man7 said:

Same experience, I needed a handle for an 8K dogfight and was astonished to see the price was $299.

 

Shimano is great, the Stradic is probably one of the best reels ever made in my opinion.

Did your handle break or something? Buying something of choice is different than what should be a service/support issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedGreen said:

Did your handle break or something? Buying something of choice is different than what should be a service/support issue. 

Fell on the canal pavement.  Totally misshapen and needed replacing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, t_man7 said:

Fell on the canal pavement.  Totally misshapen and needed replacing.

The funny part is Daiwa has a warranty for all their reels, but conveniently claims abuse on most of them so they can charge you for parts. They claimed my buddy abused his 14k saltiga fishing for tarpon and snook from shore with a max of 25lbs of drag. Measured. What clowns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought this reel because I've always been wanting one for quite some time.. and decided to get this even after the new model came out. I'm prepared for the costs of replacing parts... however finding the parts has been difficult. I called Daiwa USA and they simply wont even touch it since its not a US model... its as if I called them asking for Shimano parts.

 

That being said... the 14 Saltiga model has been sold in the US and I'm wondering if perhaps the 5000 or 6000 models would have compatible interior parts as the 5500h. Anyone know about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2021 at 11:19 PM, t_man7 said:

Same experience, I needed a handle for an 8K dogfight and was astonished to see the price was $299.

 

Shimano is great, the Stradic is probably one of the best reels ever made in my opinion.

why would you be using a 8k dogfight on the canal? Furthermore you can afford a dogfight at your age? lol, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.