Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

After over a decade of wanting and waiting, I am finally getting into saltwater fly fishing. Even though I did not settle on which rod or reel to purchase, I have this constant itch to own saltwater flies.

 

So I tried my local bait & tackle shops first and they do not sell any flies or fly tying supplies at all. So I took it upon myself to attempt to create my own saltwater flies from scraps of material around the house.  

 

I did not follow any tutorials or manual on these (clearly). Because I did not have the proper size or style hooks, body materials or even the right clear epoxy. I know they are tied crappy (no vise/clamp), their heads are flat and their eyes keep drooping because I used the wrong epoxy (table top).

 

Be gentle, it's my first crack at this with zero experience. I've never seen a saltwater fly in person, no less attempted to tie one. Regardless they are the first three to make it into my empty fly box.

 

Yellow/white/mylar is 6" on 3/0 hook

Blue/white/mylar is 5" on #1 hook

Gray/white/mylar is 7" on 3/0 hook

 

20211010_181730.jpg

Edited by HighCal
Added lengths and hook sizes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orca said:

Very decent. I particularly like the top yellow one.  

Thank you!! That was my attempt at a Spearing. One of the most plentiful bait fish in my area.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen a lot of firsts on here and these look pretty good. 

The only advice I would give is to use enough material too achieve the profile that you are looking for and no more. 

Do not assume that it will get slimmer when wet with synthetics and epoxy because it will not. Tie it so it look good in your hand and it will look good in the water. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Kml said:

I have seen a lot of firsts on here and these look pretty good. 

The only advice I would give is to use enough material too achieve the profile that you are looking for and no more. 

Do not assume that it will get slimmer when wet with synthetics and epoxy because it will not. Tie it so it look good in your hand and it will look good in the water. 

 

Great advice. Thank you. I am here to learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, HighCal said:

Thank you!! That was my attempt at a Spearing. One of the most plentiful bait fish in my area.

 

 

Spearing,peanuts/adult bunker and bay anchovies.  When dressing your flies “less is best”.  There are many fine tyers on this board 

and if you look through some of the old posts here you’ll be overwhelmed with all the beautiful flies posted. 

 

Edited by Orca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Orca said:

Spearing,peanuts/adult bunker and bay anchovies.  When dressing your flies “less is best”.  There are many fine tyers on this board 

and if you look through some of the old posts here you’ll be overwhelmed with all the beautiful flies posted. 

 

I have been looking back. Each night I get a page or two further. I am like 12+ pages deep and can not believe how beautiful and realistic some of the SOL member's flies are. The Spearing, Bunker, Anchovies, Sand eels, Shrimp and Crabs always have me in awe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pick a baitfish say spearing and find a pattern you like and then really get that pattern down before moving on.  Books by  Ed Mitchell,Lou Tabory and Bob Popovics are very handy and contain about 90% of all the info you need to know in my opinion.

Edited by Orca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Orca said:

Pick a baitfish say spearing and find a pattern you like and then really get that pattern down before moving on.  Books by  Ed Mitchell,Lou Tabory and Bob Popovics are very handy and contain about 90% of all the info you need to know in my opinion.

Great advice. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they look great for a first attempt. Fish them and they will catch fish as well. The hardest part is getting g started so it’s all downhill from here.  You are now a “custom” fly tier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to tie one more Spearing style Surf Candy. This time with some 5min epoxy and holographic string I found. My dining room lighting is too warm and the background is worse. But here is my fourth. I tried to integrate that shimmer thread around the whole head and a few strands down the middle. This is 5" long on a 4/0 hook.

20211011_010540.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those will 100% catch fish.  For whatever it's worth, they look like the right hooks to me.  

 

I'm at a loss for how you are able to tie flies without a vice.  If you can do that without a vice, you'll be great once you get one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JCH said:

Those will 100% catch fish.  For whatever it's worth, they look like the right hooks to me.  

 

I'm at a loss for how you are able to tie flies without a vice.  If you can do that without a vice, you'll be great once you get one.

They are all considerably "big" flies, so I have something to hold onto when hand tying. They also take me a while because I don't have the proper tools yet. Bottom line is that I'm having fun doing it. If I ever actually catch a fish on one of them, that will make it that much better. I have a WTB for flies posted and am hopefully working on getting some professionally tied flies for hands-on reference.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, HighCal said:

They are all considerably "big" flies, so I have something to hold onto when hand tying. They also take me a while because I don't have the proper tools yet. Bottom line is that I'm having fun doing it. If I ever actually catch a fish on one of them, that will make it that much better. I have a WTB for flies posted and am hopefully working on getting some professionally tied flies for hands-on reference.

 

Plenty of tutorials on-line with the materials list.It's great to just watch folks tie flies.You have the right attitude in keeping it fun.Don't lose that part.Plenty of us here will be able to help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.