Callmefish

Yay circle hooks

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I fish bait about 20% of the time. I have fished "braid" exclusively since Fireline came out. I never spike my rod while fishing. I favor large "J" hooks specifically Gamigatsu10/0 , razor sharp and can't recall having gut or gill hooking a fish since I stopped "spiking" and using mono. 

The move to circle hooks is an emotional response on the part of regulators to show they are doing "something"

to improve fish stocks. The reality is if they truly wanted  to improve fish stocks they would declare a moratorium! It worked before and will work now!! Circle hooks fished in a spiked rod or held rod in my less than humble opinion will not improve the plight of the Striped Bass.

Marc

45 mins ago, Callmefish said:

Reg is for targeting stripers, i was not targeting a bluefish

If it was a bass, you'd probably find the hook in the mouth. Bluefish are angry mindless yellow eyed demons.

It happens. 

I use circles for just about everything. Even bluegills.  Went out with my kids this weekend. Every 10 bluegills 8 hooked in corner of the mouth 2 would swallow it.   

I've noticed that you have to dramatically increase the size of the circle hook you would use in comparison to the equivalent J-Hook.

Where a 7/0 J-Hook might make do normally, a 10/0 or 11/0 circle cuts accidental gut hooking down alot.

My experience anyway, your mileage may vary.

18 hours ago, mml4 said:

I fish bait about 20% of the time. I have fished "braid" exclusively since Fireline came out. I never spike my rod while fishing. I favor large "J" hooks specifically Gamigatsu10/0 , razor sharp and can't recall having gut or gill hooking a fish since I stopped "spiking" and using mono. 

The move to circle hooks is an emotional response on the part of regulators to show they are doing "something"

to improve fish stocks. The reality is if they truly wanted  to improve fish stocks they would declare a moratorium! It worked before and will work now!! Circle hooks fished in a spiked rod or held rod in my less than humble opinion will not improve the plight of the Striped Bass.

Marc

Circle hooks increase the safe hookset time window but cannot guarantee a safe hookset. They also reduce snagging fish from the outside of their body.
That's not emotion but physically a result of the hook shape.

That being said, a skilled angler with a properly sized J hook doesn't really pose any additional gut hooking risk to the fish, there is always a small risk of something weird happening out of your control that even using a circle hook can't prevent. But you also have to remember that regulations are not for skilled anglers but rather the ignorant masses. There is way more people out there baiting and waiting then actively fishing.

4 mins ago, JerseyJeb said:

regulations are not for skilled anglers but rather the ignorant masses.

More in the “sad but true” column. Release a fish without taking it out of the water and it makes people’s heads explode. 

1 hour ago, Danthe said:

More in the “sad but true” column. Release a fish without taking it out of the water and it makes people’s heads explode. 

A while ago, a friend and I were fishing on the backside of Robert Moses right after sunrise.  He hooks a bass in the mid-teens, grabs it by the jaw, and just lifts the head out of the water so that he could get the hooks out and set the fish free.  In the maybe 30 seconds it took him to separate the fish from his plug, somebody ran over from a good hundred yards away, gasping for breath as the fish swam off, the guy blurted "You could have kept that!"

As my friend looked at him and said, "I could let it go, too."

9 hours ago, Richizzzle said:

I've noticed that you have to dramatically increase the size of the circle hook you would use in comparison to the equivalent J-Hook.

Where a 7/0 J-Hook might make do normally, a 10/0 or 11/0 circle cuts accidental gut hooking down alot.

A guy I know and trust A LOT when it comes to fishing uses 16/0 tuna circles for Bass and Drum. They look funny until you stick a bunker head on them.

9 hours ago, Richizzzle said:

^^^True.

Also consider that if the hook point gets buried in the bait (is not exposed) the odd of gut hooking go up as well.

I haven't had any gut hook issues with circles.  I normally use that larger sizes, 8/0 or 9/0 (if I can find them).  Easier to fit fat chunks or big pogies on.

My biggest issue is I get too excited and set the hook.  Then the fish just swims away, usually with a free snack.

I fish live eels with 9/0 and 8/0 circle hooks. My first night fishing 7/0 circle hooks I gut hooked 50% of the bass I caught. I feel that circle hooks require you to allow a fish to consume a bait more then a J hook, with a quick hook set upon the bite. I feel as though those who fish live bait actively, circle hooks may actually be a detriment to striped bass.