Callmefish

Yay circle hooks

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

That fish was gut hooked because the hook was offset not a inline circle which would of probably hooked the Blue in its lip.. I usually use a barbless inline 8/0 circle for most of my fishing... Constant tension on the fish will prevent him from spitting the hook and because it is barbless it will allow an easy release ...  

14 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

That fish was gut hooked because the hook was offset not a inline circle which would of probably hooked the Blue in its lip.. I usually use a barbless inline 8/0 circle for most of my fishing... Constant tension on the fish will prevent him from spitting the hook and because it is barbless it will allow an easy release ...  

inline not offset, i follow the regs.

3CA446F9-EE93-4913-84F9-F1B25DCA8D1D.jpeg

571CA7A3-8159-4C9F-B1EE-D704C2302A47.jpeg

If they swallow the hook, they swallow the hook. If the baited line isn't under tension, and isn't monitored, that's a bigger risk. If the idiot fish insists on gulping your offering straight down, nothing can really be done about it. Going bigger can help, but I tried circle hooks on little bullheads destined for the table, to limit time spent unhookig and/or retying. The 8" long dopes vacuumed up 5/0 circles effortlessly.

8 mins ago, hobobob said:

This might sound funny, use duller hooks. 

I found this as well - brand new 8/0 circle hook? Higher chance than I’d like of gut-hooking. One that had caught a handful of fish already? Very low chances. 

40 mins ago, ermghoti said:

If they swallow the hook, they swallow the hook. If the baited line isn't under tension, and isn't monitored, that's a bigger risk. If the idiot fish insists on gulping your offering straight down, nothing can really be done about it. Going bigger can help, but I tried circle hooks on little bullheads destined for the table, to limit time spent unhookig and/or retying. The 8" long dopes vacuumed up 5/0 circles effortlessly.

He hit that thing at mach 20, fight literally lasted 10 seconds and when i pulled him up he was a bloody mess

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

This might sound funny, use duller hooks. 

Interesting thought.

Never occurred to me. I don't guthook enough fish to change my ways.

2 hours ago, Callmefish said:

He hit that thing at mach 20, fight literally lasted 10 seconds and when i pulled him up he was a bloody mess

Right, so suicidal. The hook was in its intestines before the rod finished bending. Nothing to be done about that. Would have swallowed a plug, probably.