Last_Cast

Recommendations for Conventional Setup for Jetty Tog

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Notable Catch said:

Here is something to think about.  If you want to switch to left side, why don't you just change handle to right side so you reel in with your right hand?

I'm saying this because I went through number of setups till I got to where I am and I'm still open to a change and most likely will change again.

I don't get out as much as I want to so when I'm out, I'm usually out there for long time and that causes malfunction of my body parts  :(

Elbows, wrist, ankle, back, fingers, shoulders etc.  I though about switching rod to hold with left hand so I can balance out the workload to save my right arm.  I just can' feel same thing with my left hand as I do with my right hand.  And also feels like one step delay with my left hand when setting hook.

I also debated to switch out to conventional and still thinking but most likely not happen.  I'm definitely using it on boat though.   Here are couple of reasons along with others.

1. Along with holding the rod you have to balance the reel as it's has natural tendency to fall.  You can minimize this by leaning the reel on your wrist or arm but still extra think to do.  Good side is, it give you a place to stretch your fingers different way than spinning.

2. Changing handle to right side and you don't have to fight reel falling, no extra money to spend(Who am I kidding)  As spinning sits below the rod, there's nothing to balance other than holding the rod.  This might not matter if you fish just couple of hours.  Me, I fish 12-18 hours when I'm out on the Jetty so this matters.

3. Spend money on lighter gear.  Started out with Battle 2 5000 and AWE10.5' which total weighs something like 34oz-35oz with line.  I went through couple of rods and reels to find a balance of light weight but enough power to fight nice Tog and Sheepshead.  Was using Trophy 2 9' and Stradic 5000 till 2 weeks ago when I snapped the rod setting hook for Bluefish.  Any ways, that set up was around 21oz-22oz and now Okuma Rockaway HD 9' with stradic 5000 which should be around 20oz-21oz.  From where I started, I shaved off about a pound of weight.  You might say it's a pound but unless you are deadsticking hold a pound of weight 12-18 hours a day will kill your arm and other body parts especially on long term.

4. Use your rod, not the reel.  I mean this because I had sharp pain develop on my left elbow to the point that I couldn't reel.  This went on for months and some times it takes couple of hours before I start feeling it and sometime worst than other times.  Then I started pump my rod even for smaller sized Tog and reel down with as little resistance as possible so my left elbow doesn't have to work as hard.  After doing this for a while I haven't felt that pain for past 8 or so trips and those were times I caught my PB 24.5" Sheepshead and days I caught 60-80 Togs a day which will definitely give your arms a problem.

Looks like SaltX 6000 is 18oz and just as a comparison, Stradic 5000 is 7.4oz lighter.  That's the weight that your arm have to hold how many hours you have to hold.  

These are couple of things I can think of.  Basically if you switch arms, get something lighter while you are at it.  I recently tried my brothers Battle 2  5000 with 8' rod which should be noticeably lighter than 10.5' I had but that felt much heavier and bulkier to use than current set up. 

I know this is long and not really what you asked but I think something to be considered while getting a new gear.

This was fantastic feedback - thank you for taking the time!  Like you, I also spend many hours on the jetty, and I typically bring two rods this time of year - one for togging, and one for plugging. The repetitive nature of the task is really hard on the shoulder and elbow (I work in physical therapy, so I have a good understanding here), and I know that I have degraded my joints significantly in recent years. Simply put, I want to introduce a bit of balance into the equation.

You're right about not having the same feel and hooksetting speed on the left vs right - that's a major concern to be sure, but I'm sure I'll become proficient eventually. And  frankly, I'd rather lose a few fish than blow out my right shoulder prematurely.

I decided on conventional both to offload my right arm, but also to learn a new skill. I've never fished conventional before and simply put, I would like to learn. I agree with your point of going lighter - that was also part of my decision. The Penn Squall SQL200LPHS I ordered is 9.3oz, with 43" of line retrieve per turn and 24lbs of drag. That's some serious specs for that weight -  I'm not sure I would be able to find those that in a spinning reel (I haven't looked, honestly). I'm not sure what the Tsunami  TSTIISC-1002H rod weighs, but I expect the outfit to be significantly lighter than my previous setup.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to report back in a few weeks with a review of the new rig.

Tight Lines!

23 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Must be a Jersey thing. Been using a lever drag togging for more than 10 years with no issue 

i actually use the same reel for tog sea bass,flounder but of course i am not hard core like these guys are which is why i asked Mike .

the first ld i bought used from a prominent 6 pack boat in cape may and thats what he always uses on his boat for the same species.

Avets suck for togging. There. I said it. I have 3 and have used them togging. No comparison to a Saltiga, a Lexa or even a Newell 220. Suckage

Edited by Mike

5 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

i actually use the same reel for tog sea bass,flounder but of course i am not hard core like these guys are which is why i asked Mike .

:laugh: Mike is soft core at best.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Avets suck for togging. There. I said it. I have 3 and have used them togging. No comparison to a Saltiga, a Lexa or even a Newell 220. Suckage

i wasnt busting your balls. my questions were legit. i have heard others say no to LD.

43 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Saltist also , hey they're what I have so that's what I use. Not sure what the alleged issue is so please enlighten me, thanks

I gave my reasons above. Makes no sense to me vs a spool release and a star. You're not adjusting drag while bottom fishing. You're not using Strike.

Ok , you have your reasons. As stated , this is what I own so it’s what I use. I have the drag adjusted so when I push the lever to the first click it’s good to go. Tomatoe  tomato 

13 hours ago, Mike said:

I had no issue and gonna use it for Cbass.

10 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Ok , you have your reasons. As stated , this is what I own so it’s what I use. I have the drag adjusted so when I push the lever to the first click it’s good to go. Tomatoe  tomato 

zactly, fished it for years never an issue, upgrade the Pinion Brg and your good to go.

And there it is. People use them because they own them and not because it is the right tool for the particular application. If buying something for a particular application, get the better tool for that. 

The OP also wants to cast off a jetty. Every try that with an Avet? Yikes! Damn hard to control. 

$300 for togging NJ jetties?  Get yourself a 5 dollar jig master or Penn 140 and whatever stick you have laying around and it will be more than adequate. You would be insane to buy anything special to blackfish from shore. Saltiga, Lexa, Newell? Save it for the special occasions. 

Edited by Fly By Nite

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

$300 for togging NJ jetties?  Get yourself a 5 dollar jig master or Penn 140 and whatever stick you have laying around and it will be more than adequate. You would be insane to buy anything special to blackfish from shore. Saltiga, Lexa, Newell? Save it for the special occasions. 

Correct.