Recommendations for Conventional Setup for Jetty Tog

Rate this topic

Last_Cast

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for a conventional setup for togging the NJ jetties. My budget is in the $300 range. My current setup is a spinning outfit (9' rod with Tsunami SaltX600 spooled with 40# braid). I'm looking to switch to a conventional rig to give my right shoulder a break (biceps tendinitis).

I have ZERO experience with conventional reels, but I'm willing to put in the time to learn. I'm looking hard the Penn Squall Low Profile line, specifically the high speed models due to the faster retrieve, which I think would be beneficial in getting those tog up out of the rocks quickly. As for rods, I would like to stay in the 9-10' range - I like the longer rods because I feel I get more vertical angles when dropping into those closer holes. I would love any input and advise here.

Am I on the right track with the Penn Squall Low Profile, or should I look at the Penn Squall II Star Drag? Which particular model/size of the would you recommend? Which rods would you guys pair these reels with?

Thanks!

Penn Fathom is all metal. Squall is graphite. On the rocks, I would go with metal because graphite and hard contact with rocks may not end well.

Either way, star drag.

If you drop $200 on a Fathom that leaves about enough for a Tsunami rod. 

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

I use and can recommend Abu ambassadeurs 5000 or 6000 size with 20 or 30 lb. braid.  The 5000 size holds about 300 yards of 20 lb. braid. The 6000 size holds about 300 yards of 30 lb. braid.  5500c3, 6500c3, 5600c4, 6600c4 is all you need. C3 has a push button and 5.3:1 gears. C4 has thumb bar and I think 6.3:1 gears. Your choice. Anything similar like an akios for example is just as good.  I’m not familiar with the penn squalls that you speak of but maybe just as good. 
I have no advice on the rod since I’m using a 7 ft. St. Croix casting from shore, dock.  No jetty. 

4 mins ago, Mike said:

Penn Fathom is all metal. Squall is graphite. On the rocks, I would go with metal because graphite and hard contact with rocks may not end well.

Either way, star drag.

The penn fathoms are nice. That’s what I would go with if sticking with penn. Especially like the smaller sizes like the 12 and 15 with the mags for casting. 

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Either way, star drag.

Thanks for the input everyone. Mike, that's a great point, however, the SQL300LPHS is $179 vs the FTH300LPHS at $279, which is a pretty big difference. If it was $50 more I'd swing for the Fathom, no doubt. I'm leaning towards the SQL300LPHS and the Tsunami Trophy Surf 10' (TSTIISC-1002H), which would put me right at $300 out the door. Any opinions on this pairing?

5 hours ago, Last_Cast said:

Thanks for the input everyone. Mike, that's a great point, however, the SQL300LPHS is $179 vs the FTH300LPHS at $279, which is a pretty big difference. If it was $50 more I'd swing for the Fathom, no doubt. I'm leaning towards the SQL300LPHS and the Tsunami Trophy Surf 10' (TSTIISC-1002H), which would put me right at $300 out the door. Any opinions on this pairing?

Amazon 200-219

10 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

please explain. asking for me, not a friend.

Are you going to use that lever to adjust drag while reeling up bottom fish? No, you're not. Do you need a drag set at Strike? No. Why reset the lever drag everytime you drop down? Why mess with your drag at all? Star drag. Set it, forget it. Spool release to drop down. 

Here is something to think about.  If you want to switch to left side, why don't you just change handle to right side so you reel in with your right hand?

I'm saying this because I went through number of setups till I got to where I am and I'm still open to a change and most likely will change again.

I don't get out as much as I want to so when I'm out, I'm usually out there for long time and that causes malfunction of my body parts  :(

Elbows, wrist, ankle, back, fingers, shoulders etc.  I though about switching rod to hold with left hand so I can balance out the workload to save my right arm.  I just can' feel same thing with my left hand as I do with my right hand.  And also feels like one step delay with my left hand when setting hook.

I also debated to switch out to conventional and still thinking but most likely not happen.  I'm definitely using it on boat though.   Here are couple of reasons along with others.

1. Along with holding the rod you have to balance the reel as it's has natural tendency to fall.  You can minimize this by leaning the reel on your wrist or arm but still extra think to do.  Good side is, it give you a place to stretch your fingers different way than spinning.

2. Changing handle to right side and you don't have to fight reel falling, no extra money to spend(Who am I kidding)  As spinning sits below the rod, there's nothing to balance other than holding the rod.  This might not matter if you fish just couple of hours.  Me, I fish 12-18 hours when I'm out on the Jetty so this matters.

3. Spend money on lighter gear.  Started out with Battle 2 5000 and AWE10.5' which total weighs something like 34oz-35oz with line.  I went through couple of rods and reels to find a balance of light weight but enough power to fight nice Tog and Sheepshead.  Was using Trophy 2 9' and Stradic 5000 till 2 weeks ago when I snapped the rod setting hook for Bluefish.  Any ways, that set up was around 21oz-22oz and now Okuma Rockaway HD 9' with stradic 5000 which should be around 20oz-21oz.  From where I started, I shaved off about a pound of weight.  You might say it's a pound but unless you are deadsticking hold a pound of weight 12-18 hours a day will kill your arm and other body parts especially on long term.

4. Use your rod, not the reel.  I mean this because I had sharp pain develop on my left elbow to the point that I couldn't reel.  This went on for months and some times it takes couple of hours before I start feeling it and sometime worst than other times.  Then I started pump my rod even for smaller sized Tog and reel down with as little resistance as possible so my left elbow doesn't have to work as hard.  After doing this for a while I haven't felt that pain for past 8 or so trips and those were times I caught my PB 24.5" Sheepshead and days I caught 60-80 Togs a day which will definitely give your arms a problem.

Looks like SaltX 6000 is 18oz and just as a comparison, Stradic 5000 is 7.4oz lighter.  That's the weight that your arm have to hold how many hours you have to hold.  

These are couple of things I can think of.  Basically if you switch arms, get something lighter while you are at it.  I recently tried my brothers Battle 2  5000 with 8' rod which should be noticeably lighter than 10.5' I had but that felt much heavier and bulkier to use than current set up. 

I know this is long and not really what you asked but I think something to be considered while getting a new gear.