TheLuckyStrike

Night time

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, bbfish said:

There was one winter about 10 years ago that was incredibly warm, and we had this bizarre explosion of white legger (I think that’s the species) crab population from December right through late January.  The piles of crab sheds on the beach were impressive.  The fish were fat, aggressive, and stacked up.  Some nights as long as you hit the water you got bit immediately, especially if you matched the plug color to the orange color of the crabs. Fished a few nights in February that year and caught a few, but nothing like the late December/early January.

Orange like roe? Like they were laying eggs mid winter? Wow. 

I've only been in NJ for 5 years and my dedication to surf casting has been inconsistent at best.  Spent the previous 5 years landlocked.  So I have no valuable input for this thread.  :laugh:

In all honesty, when I used to fish a lot on LI I never did that great at night.  Had some epic false dawns way in the back bays after trudging through the back bays all night.  Some good schoolie bites in the inlets and a few nice fish once in a while.  But all of my crazy outings have been dawn, dusk, and daylight.  

I had a few solid nights last fall on the surf, but over the years it’s been mostly a sunrise/evening bite for me totally shutting down or completely dead at night. Didn’t break out the eels which normally result in night fish regardless if they feeding or not 

1 hour ago, BigBen425 said:

I had a few solid nights last fall on the surf, but over the years it’s been mostly a sunrise/evening bite for me totally shutting down or completely dead at night. Didn’t break out the eels which normally result in night fish regardless if they feeding or not 

I spend more time eeling at night this time of year for this reason. Even walking the sand fishing open beach produces fish that I believe wouldn’t touch an artificial. Eels are krack for them. 

49 mins ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

I spend more time eeling at night this time of year for this reason. Even walking the sand fishing open beach produces fish that I believe wouldn’t touch an artificial. Eels are krack for them. 

Too many blues around to to make fishing eels worth while right now...    

On 10/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, TheLuckyStrike said:

Any answer is fine. I know most guys can’t get in on the day bites unless they are retired or unemployed. I guess I was trying to lead people to realize how night trips can be productive much later into the season than most think. Like Sudsy says a lot “every year is truly different “. I’ve been fishing long enough to see this.

So, here’s a follow up question:

“Float the bugs” at night? Anyone? Or are the stripers looking up?

On 10/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, bbfish said:

There was one winter about 10 years ago that was incredibly warm, and we had this bizarre explosion of white legger (I think that’s the species) crab population from December right through late January.  The piles of crab sheds on the beach were impressive.  The fish were fat, aggressive, and stacked up.  Some nights as long as you hit the water you got bit immediately, especially if you matched the plug color to the orange color of the crabs. Fished a few nights in February that year and caught a few, but nothing like the late December/early January.

same here. i wrapped it up that year on 2/4.  they were the first and last february fish i ever caught at night or otherwise.  it was fun bite and wasn't limited to the area that it started in. 

On 10/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, EricDice said:

So, here’s a follow up question:

“Float the bugs” at night? Anyone? Or are the stripers looking up?

Bass eat bait in the dark no problem.  Don't see why this wouldnt work, could be a great way to catch our schoolie summer residents.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, UncleJohn said:

Too many blues around to to make fishing eels worth while right now...    

blues? You mean 10” snappers that are smaller then any eel I’d be slinging. Maybe out back in bays or rivers blues can be a problem but I never run into them anymore out front at night. At this point I’d welcome a solid blue at night even if it meant $2 down the drain.