TheLuckyStrike

Night time

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I was curious to see what date in the last 10 years was the latest successful night trip from beach or rocks in NJ that you’ve had . Mine was January 6th 2011 and it was the epic sandeel bite year. Great memories. 

I forget the actual date and the journal is upstairs but I had a great night the third week in November last year. Shot down to moco after work and had a great night on a classic black darter and a wine red and gold teaser. Right after daylight savings. Fun times

2 hours ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

I was curious to see what date in the last 10 years was the latest successful night trip from beach or rocks in NJ that you’ve had . Mine was January 6th 2011 and it was the epic sandeel bite year. Great memories. 

Man, I had some fantastic nights that year.

I always do better at night, into January As long as there are no peanuts around If there are peanuts around, at least for me, the night bite shuts down

Pearl Harbor Day, Cape May, NJ, 2005ish.  Went fishing instead of hunting, epic night, a friend that later passed was there. Great memory!

Not really the exact response you’re looking for but since there’s not much participation…. 

In my fall night trips in November and December over the years in OC & Monmouth, I have not had much luck. When I have, it was when the sand eel bite was on and for what it’s worth I think that coincided with calm conditions - which is more likely about me than the fish. 

I’ll be on mostly nighttime runs this year even though I prefer daylight for the Fall. I probably won’t report anything real time so nobody can blame fishing for my daytime drowsiness 

44 mins ago, EricDice said:

Not really the exact response you’re looking for but since there’s not much participation…. 

In my fall night trips in November and December over the years in OC & Monmouth, I have not had much luck. When I have, it was when the sand eel bite was on and for what it’s worth I think that coincided with calm conditions - which is more likely about me than the fish. 

I’ll be on mostly nighttime runs this year even though I prefer daylight for the Fall. I probably won’t report anything real time so nobody can blame fishing for my daytime drowsiness 

Any answer is fine. I know most guys can’t get in on the day bites unless they are retired or unemployed. I guess I was trying to lead people to realize how night trips can be productive much later into the season than most think. Like Sudsy says a lot “every year is truly different “. I’ve been fishing long enough to see this.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hardly surfcast anymore but have had epic fall nights when there were sandeels around.  One big exception was on one of my last night forays as a surfcaster at Sandy Hook about 8 or 9 years ago in November when I stumbled onto a rare (rare because it was late at night) peanut bunker blitz with fish up to 44" on literally every cast throwing an olive Big Don ML swimmer.  I still have that swimmer :)

Edited by GeoffT

1 hour ago, GeoffT said:

I hardly surfcast anymore but have had epic fall nights when there were sandeels around.  One big exception was on one of my last night forays as a surfcaster at Sandy Hook about 8 or 9 years ago in November when I stumbled onto a rare (rare because it was late at night) peanut bunker blitz with fish up to 44" on literally every cast throwing an olive Big Don ML swimmer.  I still have that swimmer :)

Sounds like an epic memory. I know you’ve been on here a long time, curiosity has me asking why u no longer surf fish? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, TheLuckyStrike said:

Sounds like an epic memory. I know you’ve been on here a long time, curiosity has me asking why u no longer surf fish? 

Because of a decline in the number of bass, and losing productive spots due to beach replenishment and losing all those jetties.  

Why drive an hour or so to bust my ass taking a long walk on the sand for maybe a fish or two a night where I can catch dozens by kayak in places not reachable by boat or beach?   

Edited by GeoffT

34 mins ago, GeoffT said:

Because of a decline in the number of bass, and losing productive spots due to beach replenishment and losing all those jetties.  

Why drive an hour or so to bust my ass taking a long walk on the sand for maybe a fish or two a night where I can catch dozens by kayak in places not reachable by boat or beach?   

I suspected that was ur move lol wasn’t sure how old you are. I do agree with you unfortunately.