squidder 329

Armada Of Container Ships Offshore

Rate this topic

564 posts in this topic

1 min ago, slicedcornbread said:

Same with the trades. Electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc.

Spent a whole generation teaching them that that kind of work was beneath them. Only losers dont go to college...

Gotta say though, I never would want to be an over the road truck driver. Seems like it would be a lonely existence. And let's face it, with the rare exception, driving is one of the most aggravating activities there is...

15 hours ago, z-man said:

Here in MA the National Guard is driving kids to school because of bus driver shortages. I’m sure we could get them to drive trucks too. 
I think a big part of the trucking problem is that a lot of the drivers are older guys that have retired and not enough new people are taking their place. I don’t think too many young people want a career as a truck driver these days. 

There’s a state training program here. Free. Same as for electric boat.  That’s how badly they are needed. 

3 mins ago, Finster said:

Spent a whole generation teaching them that that kind of work was beneath them. Only losers dont go to college...

This isn’t anywhere near true. I don’t know how it got so popular.  

3 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I think it comes from a sense of inferiority from tradesmen. 

4 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Sure. Ok. 

15 mins ago, Finster said:

Gotta say though, I never would want to be an over the road truck driver. Seems like it would be a lonely existence. And let's face it, with the rare exception, driving is one of the most aggravating activities there is...

And you damn   have to be a computer programmer to work on the new air conditioner lol

24 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

Same with the trades. Electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc.

The union trade guys I know retire at 57-58 years old with full health coverage. 

1 min ago, MikeMc said:

The union trade guys I know retire at 57-58 years old with full health coverage. 

And, unfortunately, absolutely ruined bodies. Watching my old man isn’t fun, and he moved up to management relatively early. My friends in their mid 40’s are already having serious issues. There is definitely a trade off there. No pun intended. 

1 hour ago, Finster said:

True. From an early age everything in school is about preparing for college and trying to get college scholarships from either merit or sports. 
I could never deal with driving full time. I would kill someone else or myself. There are so many idiots out in the roads. 

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

And, unfortunately, absolutely ruined bodies. Watching my old man isn’t fun, and he moved up to management relatively early. My friends in their mid 40’s are already having serious issues. There is definitely a trade off there. No pun intended. 

Not the electricians I know. They make it out in decent shape, for the most part. Maybe the carpenters and plumbers moreso, though. 

19 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Not the electricians I know. They make it out in decent shape, for the most part. Maybe the carpenters and plumbers moreso, though. 

Anecdotal but my Tin knocker BIL seems to be the worst off, but yea most I know are carpenters. 

2 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I disagree.

College was pushed hard over trades when i was in high school and shop classes are non existent.  There were trades taught in my school and now the kids are all bussed to off site specialty campuses.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, MikeMc said:

They retire "early" because their bodies couldn't take it anymore.  This is the last working demographic.  I think they knew the money was there to be made if they put in the time and the work.  There is more money in trades than what a kid with a bachelors degree working 9 to 5 can make. There is more physical effort involved in getting it (plus the front-end effort required), and i think that's turning kids away- they can survive with less so why should they kill themselves? How about we don't make it survivable?  Getting rid of unions is a start.

Edited by Fly By Nite