squidder 329

Armada Of Container Ships Offshore

Rate this topic

564 posts in this topic

Thousand of container ships just sitting offshore is really puzzling and nobody could explain why. Blamed the truckers and the truckers said no not us we want to work. Figured even china would be pressure as most of the goods are their manufacturing, just doesn't make sense. So I'm listening to the radio this morning and they are talking about the ships. A little while later in a news report "they" reporting an upcoming decision as to whether the US will continue the tariffs on china. Is it just me or do you think that if the tariffs are lifted or reduced which I assume would be billions in the pockets of china the truckers would go back to work  :shrug:

No there is a shortage of drivers and port workers, there is a shortage of factory workers too, I've had containers sitting in Baltimore for a month waiting to get broken down, usually takes a week. Can't get flatbeds either, it's crazy. And these are from Europe, it has no tariff relationship. Domestic mills are incredibly late on everything because they can't ramp up after the covid layoffs, people aren't going back to work and I don't know why. Meanwhile, unions are striking, because they see the situation.

It's not good , supply chains are a mess, even domestic ones.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, Billybob said:

Meanwhile, unions are striking, because they see the situation.

So when companies automatize their industries what will the union leaders have left to lie about to the unemployed workers?

Edited by rockyoutdoors

29 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Thousand of container ships just sitting offshore is really puzzling and nobody could explain why.

At the risk of repeating myself, my son is a merchant marine.  Granted, he isn't offloading or trucking merchandise, but does report that there is a significant shortage of labor in his world as well as at the ports.

People were paid to stay home, and paid well.  It's going to take some time. 

9 mins ago, Billybob said:

No there is a shortage of drivers and port workers, there is a shortage of factory workers too, I've had containers sitting in Baltimore for a month waiting to get broken down, usually takes a week. Can't get flatbeds either, it's crazy. And these are from Europe, it has no tariff relationship. Domestic mills are incredibly late on everything because they can't ramp up after the covid layoffs, people aren't going back to work and I don't know why. Meanwhile, unions are striking, because they see the situation.

Nucor is killing us, they can’t get the billets to roll our rod… 5200 lb coils of 7/32” 1008 hot rolled rod…they are about 30 truck loads behind on this order  , truck load is 45,000 lbs… we have 2 shifts of guys painting machines and columns in the building instead of running product.  The next order of 200 truck loads is scheduled for first week of November….it’s not lookin good. 

Just now, squidder 329 said:

Thousand of container ships just sitting offshore is really puzzling and nobody could explain why. Blamed the truckers and the truckers said no not us we want to work. Figured even china would be pressure as most of the goods are their manufacturing, just doesn't make sense. So I'm listening to the radio this morning and they are talking about the ships. A little while later in a news report "they" reporting an upcoming decision as to whether the US will continue the tariffs on china. Is it just me or do you think that if the tariffs are lifted or reduced which I assume would be billions in the pockets of china the truckers would go back to work  :shrug:

There are not thousands of ships just sitting off shore.

However there are thousands of containers sitting just off shore on a couple hundred ships.

This is Covid backlog and labor shortages.

And even once you resolve the labor shortages there's only just so fast you can unload one of those ships and clear the containers from the docks.

3 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

There are not thousands of ships just sitting off shore.

However there are thousands of containers sitting just off shore on a couple hundred ships.

This is Covid backlog and labor shortages.

And even once you resolve the labor shortages there's only just so fast you can unload one of those ships and clear the containers from the docks.

…and load containers for the next leg. Assuming there are any full containers waiting to leave. Does anyone know if there is a backlog of containers ready to ship out?

5 mins ago, charloots said:

…and load containers for the next leg. Assuming there are any full containers waiting to leave. Does anyone know if there is a backlog of containers ready to ship out?

Don’t know if still true but 75% were going back to Asia empty 6 months ago

40 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

Nucor is killing us, they can’t get the billets to roll our rod… 5200 lb coils of 7/32” 1008 hot rolled rod…they are about 30 truck loads behind on this order  , truck load is 45,000 lbs… we have 2 shifts of guys painting machines and columns in the building instead of running product.  The next order of 200 truck loads is scheduled for first week of November….it’s not lookin good. 

That's what I'm dealing with too, bit I'm managing to keep it together, barely.

9 mins ago, charloots said:

That sucks. 

Yes.  Loaded containers are sitting at facilities on chassis that could be doing something but Chinese grab every empty at ports.  Problem is trade has always been unbalanced with cheap rates going back basically to relocate cans. Goods like cotton, specialty ag products are getting run over by Chinese demand to reload their exports and shipping them back empty which pays better than sending them back loaded due delays both ends

Well if all this work is waiting why was unemployment extended till September? Come on man, all these guys are smarter than us, they told us so. There something going on in the background, always follow the money.

2 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Well if all this work is waiting why was unemployment extended till September? Come on man, all these guys are smarter than us, they told us so. There something going on in the background, always follow the money.

Makes for a hell of one-sided import export situation. Probably better than any trade agreement or economic situation could create. Mostly for china, which only uses capitalism to undermine other asian economies that cant get into ports.