JoelJ

Lamiglas still in business?

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, mml4 said:

I broke a GSB 136-1-MH years ago that looked the same under the same circumstances. In MY case the drag was too tight and the the strike very violent. Something had to give and the blank did right where it was contacting the sand spike. The break was very even with no splinters almost like it had been cut with a tubing cutter or a hack saw. Taught me to check my drag and to ALWAYS hold the rod when bait fishing. YMMV.

Marc

The old GSB were the toughest rods in the market. When I was bait fishing all night I was using bait runner reels. I wasn’t going to hold the rod all night long. I took it out of the spike when the probability of a bite was higher based on the current and tide.

3 hours ago, mml4 said:

I broke a GSB 136-1-MH years ago that looked the same under the same circumstances. In MY case the drag was too tight and the the strike very violent. Something had to give and the blank did right where it was contacting the sand spike. The break was very even with no splinters almost like it had been cut with a tubing cutter or a hack saw. Taught me to check my drag and to ALWAYS hold the rod when bait fishing. YMMV.

Marc

I see your point and if it was operator error on my part, did your rod have that epoxy looking thing right at the break point as well? 

3 hours ago, levari said:

When and where did you buy this rod ? I don’t see it listed on their web site.

Did you read their warranty page? Did you call the number listed on the warranty page?

Please allow up to 90 days for warranty processing. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

For further questions, please contact us at: (240) 332-8045

I bought this rod directly from Lamiglas website. It was on the discontinued item list and was on sale at that time. 

You are missing my point ...  I don't care whether they honor their warranty or not -- please read my last post before this ...

. . . 90 days,  huh . . . ok, 30 more days to go till I receive word from them then?? -- good to know . . . Thanks.

8 hours ago, JoelJ said:

20210813_102857.jpg.a56b4de3a10eb2cbede448184113261a.jpg20210813_103007.jpg.4511c429443585b67d37e3700051fe84.jpg

Mine broke not even on the cast ...

. . . Got bite and was taking rod out of spike/holder when it snapped . . . Notice how the break was pretty straight and clean and WTF is that white epoxy-looking thing doing there???. . . Material and workmanship my a$$ . . .

Deny my claim if they should -- I don't care -- but this deliberate act of selling an obviously defective rod which they tried to pass as new and ignoring all attempts to reach them reflects more on them than on anyone and anything else.

If you ever hear back I would like to read their response on that.

47 mins ago, JoelJ said:

I see your point and if it was operator error on my part, did your rod have that epoxy looking thing right at the break point as well? 

I bought this rod directly from Lamiglas website. It was on the discontinued item list and was on sale at that time. 

You are missing my point ...  I don't care whether they honor their warranty or not -- please read my last post before this ...

. . . 90 days,  huh . . . ok, 30 more days to go till I receive word from them then?? -- good to know . . . Thanks.

You implied the rod is under warranty and my question was how long do you own this rod? Usually clearance and discontinue rods do not have the usual lifetime warranty but are limited to one year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, JoelJ said:

No it did not! Mine broke just at the rear of the reel seat. I have seen epoxy build up between the masking tape rings the rod builders use to make up for the taper of the blank when fitting a constant diameter reel seat. That epoxy is not inside the blank but rather between the blank and the seat. Yours appears to be inside the blank which begs for an explanation. I'm no rod builder but the only reason I can see for epoxy there is a repair of some kind. I would ask Lami for an explanation! 

My rod builder fixed my broken 136-1-MH by taking a section from a broken 132-1M he had in for replacement and matching the taper of the added piece to the taper of my broken rod. Once it was epoxied he made up for the "step" where the two joined with a layer of cork tape. He then covered the whole butt section including the seam with a second  layer of tape. I've caught a lot of fish with that rod since it broke and it still catches till this day! 

Mark Flynn of the now defunct Long Island Rod Crafting was a very talented rod builder! 

Marc

Edited by mml4

1 hour ago, mml4 said:

No it did not! Mine broke just at the rear of the reel seat. I have seen epoxy build up between the masking tape rings the rod builders use to make up for the taper of the blank when fitting a constant diameter reel seat. That epoxy is not inside the blank but rather between the blank and the seat. Yours appears to be inside the blank which begs for an explanation. I'm no rod builder but the only reason I can see for epoxy there is a repair of some kind. I would ask Lami for an explanation! 

My rod builder fixed my broken 136-1-MH by taking a section from a broken 132-1M he had in for replacement and matching the taper of the added piece to the taper of my broken rod. Once it was epoxied he made up for the "step" where the two joined with a layer of cork tape. He then covered the whole butt section including the seam with a second  layer of tape. I've caught a lot of fish with that rod since it broke and it still catches till this day! 

Mark Flynn of the now defunct Long Island Rod Crafting was a very talented rod builder! 

Marc

You can see from the picture that most likely the rod broke inside the wrapping cork.

I wonder if this glue did not spill from under the cork..

I wonder if the OP can show us the other section of the rod where the breakage occurred .

13 hours ago, levari said:

When and where did you buy this rod ? I don’t see it listed on their web site.

Did you read their warranty page? Did you call the number listed on the warranty page?

Please allow up to 90 days for warranty processing. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

For further questions, please contact us at: (240) 332-8045

I broke a a Ron Arra rod back in 2008, in June. Lammy got around to replacing it with a similar model about 90 days later. Stressful for me,  the customer but at least they still have a warranty. 

The 90 day processing time is par for the Lammy course on factory surf rods, which they obviously don't have large quantities of back stock on, especially for older rods.

Blanks only seem to turn around quite a bit quicker and then it's on the builder to go ahead and get that done which can certainly take some time depending on the builder & how busy they are. 

One thing I would advise is, if anybody breaks a factory rod that they should check in every couple of weeks and keep asking what the status is. This can be frustrating because you'll experience long hold times and little to no movement but then eventually if you keep doing that, they will more than likely provide service towards the end of that 90 day window.

I've been pretty much beating the bag off of all my Ron Arra rods since 2013 and they haven't had any issues. 

Edited by UPSmanMatt

1 hour ago, CaryGreene said:

I broke a a Ron Arra rod back in 2008, in June. Lammy got around to replacing it with a similar model about 90 days later. Stressful for me,  the customer but at least they still have a warranty. 

The 90 day processing time is par for the Lammy course on factory surf rods, which they obviously don't have large quantities of back stock on, especially for older rods.

Blanks only seem to turn around quite a bit quicker and then it's on the builder to go ahead and get that done which can certainly take some time depending on the builder & how busy they are. 

One thing I would advise is, if anybody breaks a factory rod that they should check in every couple of weeks and keep asking what the status is. This can be frustrating because you'll experience long hold times and little to no movement but then eventually if you keep doing that, they will more than likely provide service towards the end of that 90 day window.

I’ve never understood why people who file warranty claims use emails to inquire the status of their claims instead of picking up the phone and calling the phone number provided to them for that purpose.

Many companies are extremely slow with email responses. The customer support people who are supposed to respond to emails are busy talking on phones to customers who dialed that number especially during the epidemic.

Edited by levari

25 mins ago, levari said:

I’ve never understood why people who file warranty claims use emails to inquire the status of their claims instead of picking up the phone and calling the phone number provided to them for that purpose.

Many companies are extremely slow with email responses. The customer support people who are supposed to respond to emails are busy talking on phones to customers who dialed that number especially during the epidemic.

Then what’s the point of even having the email? And with that logic, is everyone just going to sit on hold because they’re busy with someone else on the other line? 

Edited by natejeep

4 mins ago, natejeep said:

Then what’s the point of even having the email? And with that logic, is everyone just going to sit on hold because they’re busy with someone else on the other line? 

They control the hold time by the number of support people they hire..If you want fast response use the phone. With the epidemic you should expect delays in email response. Especially when they post the following message on their web site:

“Covid-19 Update: Our top priority is the health and safety of our customers and employees. We are currently operating our customer service department with the proper safety procedures. Due to reduced staffing we are experiencing delays in response times and processing of warranty claims. Lamiglas is committed to helping you #FIshWithConfidence and getting you out fishing is our goal. We thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult times. “

3 mins ago, levari said:

They control the hold time by the number of support people they hire..If you want fast response use the phone. With the epidemic you should expect delays in email response. Especially when they post the following message on their web site:

“Covid-19 Update: Our top priority is the health and safety of our customers and employees. We are currently operating our customer service department with the proper safety procedures. Due to reduced staffing we are experiencing delays in response times and processing of warranty claims. Lamiglas is committed to helping you #FIshWithConfidence and getting you out fishing is our goal. We thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult times. “

I don’t see how any of that would mean contacting them via phone is better than email. Highly doubt they’re going to hire more people because they’re getting more phone calls. Using the COVID card this far into 2021 is a joke. Just admit their customer service is one of the worst in the industry..

23 mins ago, natejeep said:

I don’t see how any of that would mean contacting them via phone is better than email. Highly doubt they’re going to hire more people because they’re getting more phone calls. Using the COVID card this far into 2021 is a joke. Just admit their customer service is one of the worst in the industry..

Why don’t you just call the number and find out how long you are on hold instead of speculating.

I have no idea how good or bad they are. The last time I contacted them was probably fifteen years ago and they were very responsive. 

What makes you think I didn't. Oh, I know ... I implied, right?

I'm just sharing my personal experience, nothing more and nothing less. If you have no idea how good or bad they are, may I suggest you should try to find out yourself? Your benchmark of 15 years ago is a bit outdated ... just sayin' :howdy:...