Mainiac

What we gonna flyfish for............

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I am embracing what i have here in Southern California.  LMB in lots of lakes.  Corbina and halibut in the surf, Calico bass on the reefs and structure and Yellow tail out in the open water.

And trout fishing 3.5 hour drive.

I tell you what LMB in big resovoirs is tough to figure out.

Hopefully the Striper make it out east.  I had a good 6 years fishing for them when i lived there.

By boat, western Suffolk County LIS, fly fishing has been pretty good all season for Striped Bass. Bluefish has also been much better than the last three combined. These outings are usually close to shore during small windows in the early AM and late afternoons. Plenty of slot sized fish, a few over and a good deal of schoolies. What's missing? A bulk of the real smaller fish that use to be in many spots throughout most of the year. I'm talking those 8"-14" you couldn't keep off your fly. Some were here start of the season/ spring, but they use to be around all season. They usually came back in the fall but so far that hasn't been the case. That's a concern as a canary in the cold mine as to a few years out from here. 

Island wide, is there any credence to the Chesapeake stock is in trouble but our Hudson strain is doing fine? Seems the bulk of my fish are said to be from the Hudson and rivers into Connecticut.  

Edited by brushfly

24 mins ago, brushfly said:

By boat, western Suffolk County LIS, fly fishing has been pretty good all season for Striped Bass. Bluefish has also been much better than the last three combined. These outings are usually close to shore during small windows in the early AM and late afternoons. Plenty of slot sized fish, a few over and a good deal of schoolies. What's missing? A bulk of the real smaller fish that use to be in many spots throughout most of the year. I'm talking those 8"-14" you couldn't keep off your fly. Some were here start of the season/ spring, but they use to be around all season. They usually came back in the fall but so far that hasn't been the case. That's a concern as a canary in the cold mine as to a few years out from here. 

Island wide, is there any credence to the Chesapeake stock is in trouble but our Hudson strain is doing fine? Seems the bulk of my fish are said to be from the Hudson and rivers into Connecticut.  

I've been fishing the western Sound on the Connecticut side, and find the same thing:  A first light bite that tapers off quickily, mostly bass with some bluefish mixed in, that quiets down quickly once the sun breaks the horizon, althoiugh sometimes offers a pick for a while after.  Most of the fish are 2015s--six or seven pounds--with a few 2011s in the high teens or even low 20s mixed in, and a scattering of smaller stuff.

As far as the Hudson goes, it has been up and down too.  Above-average year cllasses in 2014 and 2015, quite a bit below average in 2016, just about average in 2017 and 2018, far below average in 2019, very strong in 2020.  Although irregular, the recruitment pattern in the Hudson is definitely stronger than it has been in the Chesapeake, and is probably fairly typical.  

On the other hand, the average recruitment for the Chesapeake over the past six years is significantly worse than the average for 1980-1975, and the rumors I'm hearing suggest that 2021 will be another bust.  If we don't protect the 2015s--and the window for doing so is narrowing--and if we don't see a good year class come out of the Bay in the next couple of years, we could be headed for a very bad place.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

I've been fishing the western Sound on the Connecticut side, and find the same thing:  A first light bite that tapers off quickily, mostly bass with some bluefish mixed in, that quiets down quickly once the sun breaks the horizon, althoiugh sometimes offers a pick for a while after.  Most of the fish are 2015s--six or seven pounds--with a few 2011s in the high teens or even low 20s mixed in, and a scattering of smaller stuff.

As far as the Hudson goes, it has been up and down too.  Above-average year cllasses in 2014 and 2015, quite a bit below average in 2016, just about average in 2017 and 2018, far below average in 2019, very strong in 2020.  Although irregular, the recruitment pattern in the Hudson is definitely stronger than it has been in the Chesapeake, and is probably fairly typical.  

On the other hand, the average recruitment for the Chesapeake over the past six years is significantly worse than the average for 1980-1975, and the rumors I'm hearing suggest that 2021 will be another bust.  If we don't protect the 2015s--and the window for doing so is narrowing--and if we don't see a good year class come out of the Bay in the next couple of years, we could be headed for a very bad place.

There earliest that we can see that is 2023, correct?

17 mins ago, Drew C. said:

There earliest that we can see that is 2023, correct?

We COULD see good Bay recruitment is 2022.  However, we could also see a continuation of the current, dismal pattern.

All depends on the weather we get in the winter and, particularly, early spring.

24 mins ago, CWitek said:

We COULD see good Bay recruitment is 2022.  However, we could also see a continuation of the current, dismal pattern.

All depends on the weather we get in the winter and, particularly, early spring.

Sorry, I meant protection for 2015s. 

58 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Sorry, I meant protection for 2015s. 

Yes.  Probably 2023.  It could happen in ‘22, but that’s not likely due to an aversion to mid-season management changes.

22 mins ago, CWitek said:

Yes.  Probably 2023.  It could happen in ‘22, but that’s not likely due to an aversion to mid-season management changes.

well, hopefully there are few 2015s left by then.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

well, hopefully there are few 2015s left by then.

If we lose the 2015s, my fears for the future of the stock increase by an order of magnitude.  Not a lot of good news coming out of the Chesapeake Bay.

Just now, CWitek said:

If we lose the 2015s, my fears for the future of the stock increase by an order of magnitude.  Not a lot of good news coming out of the Chesapeake Bay.

Absolutely.

Yoy sb any day now at this point. 

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Probably this week.  Don't expect good news.

I’m not

its just a matter of whether it will be “not good; bad; or oh ****”. 

Edited by Drew C.

Walking and fly fishing is what I do now. In the future i expect to do a lot more walking. 

I am hopeful Chesapeake Bay will be cleaned up and future YOY indexes will improve.

On 08/10/2021 at 6:46 PM, Mainiac said:

.....when our stripers are gone. They're the only game in town here in Maine as far as shore bound anglers are concerned.

Guess we're pretty much screwed here. How will the demise of the striped bass affect you ?

Devastated right now. Why would I want to fly 6000 miles to engage in a screwed up fishery. I had hoped you had learned from the last cock up and the enforced moratorium. But greed always beats common sense and good science. Aided and abetted by useless  politicians who have their snouts in the trough. It’s just bollocks.

But whose fault is it. The Recs did not do enough just like we do not in the U.K.

You have Sea  Robins.. We have worse.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver