Mainiac

What we gonna flyfish for............

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

An anecdotal example of crappy Florida management.

My Mom lives on a lovely barrier island community call Longboat Key, across the bay from the city of Sarasota.  The town of LBK owns a boat specifically designed and utilized for cleaning up dead fish during red tides - LBK just had to purchase a second dead fish clean up boat because the single dead fish clean up boat could not keep up with all of the dead fish in and around LBK during bad red tides.

Edited by Cpalms

It’s funny how we always think the grass is greener elsewhere. ..

it’s heartbreaking to look back at the fishing that I had locally from 1991-~2010 or so. In hindsight it was declining over that time though.

The fishing was essentially epic for me (at times). I had good bass to start a season, then blues. Weaks kept us busy in the dog days of the summer. I also had sporadic Spanish and bonito in the late summer. That morphed into albies +/- others. Then lights out blues and bass to finish the season. 

Now, every single one of those fisheries (even albies) are a mere shadow of what they were. All of them and it sucks (they aren’t fly targets but I’ve lost winter flounder, fluke and tog also suck). 

Now, I’m looking into travel and anywhere for $5-10k a pop. But, that’s pretty much it if I want to ever see my backing again. 

My long and short: since I never fished striper habitat for big ones , I am content with dinks to 25” on my 6 wt. Being old and slow it’s now just a habitat or tradition, get out at 4, fish, smoke and talk with guys. So now we’re selling ourSWFL place I will go back to fishing Lake Ontario rivers and tribs , doing a week to 2 week trips fall and spring for steelhead and browns.Florida snook and redfish is beyond awesome in a 12 month fishery. Just to hot, I can fly fish freezing and mind at all. So now just changing back to what I did 35 yrs. ago at a much slower pace:rav:

Sold my 16' Lund this spring.Ramps on the Cape can be a nightmare or full.Traffic in the summer,well you know.Fixed income so no more Bahamas,Mexico,etc.Still fishing the beaches and out of the way spots in the salt.But now the 10' jon boat is getting the use in freshwater locations that are tough/impossible to access in waders.Large&Smallmouth bass,pickeral,& a pike location are getting the attention.Great fishing,mostly no crowds too.Targeting the browns at night in some locations.Big patterns are getting smashed! This ain't no #14-#22 fishing[until winter midges get active].Loads of fun.

Hopeful for our beloved striped bass ...we just have to bite the bullet and give them a break.

Tarpon is  my favorite i can fish for them in the good ole usa , Mexico, belize,cuba and Costa  rica.

20 mins ago, thaistick said:

Hopeful for our beloved striped bass ...we just have to bite the bullet and give them a break.

Tarpon is  my favorite i can fish for them in the good ole usa , Mexico, belize,cuba and Costa  rica.

I'm starting to look into travel options for those types of places. I'd like to do a US trip sometime this year and hopefully travel to a foreign destination in 2023. I'm still trying to decide where. But I think going forward its local for trout, albie season and maybe a big trip every other year and maybe two smaller in between.

Ive all but given up on SW here.After mid-May to June,it drops off to nothing.Been doing lots of FW ponds for bass and pickerel.And praise the snakehead,as good a FW gamefish on the flyrod as any & their numbers are increasing.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:14 PM, Killiefish said:

Sea robins, anyone?  They seem plentiful.  Hard to clean but tasty.

Not hard once you get used to it.  There is a way you rip they’re spine out or something like that, makes it real easy.

4 hours ago, RAW said:

My long and short: since I never fished striper habitat for big ones , I am content with dinks to 25” on my 6 wt. Being old and slow it’s now just a habitat or tradition, get out at 4, fish, smoke and talk with guys. So now we’re selling ourSWFL place I will go back to fishing Lake Ontario rivers and tribs , doing a week to 2 week trips fall and spring for steelhead and browns.Florida snook and redfish is beyond awesome in a 12 month fishery. Just to hot, I can fly fish freezing and mind at all. So now just changing back to what I did 35 yrs. ago at a much slower pace:rav:

Are you selling your place in Wells?

I've gotten to fish some good spots while on family vacations, but never had a fancy fishing trip. I think that's a good thing because on a family trip you learn to appreciate catching whatever is there. Yeah I'm always looking at the water for those bonefish and I have lucked into a good many juvie tarpon over the years, but a most times it's being happy with various jacks, cuda, snappers, even ladyfish - whatever will eat. I might spend more time with the trout gear looking for flounder, shad and my LMBs and will spend a lot more time on trout and salmon. Seems like a lot of places have had luck with hybrid stripers in lakes, I wonder if we'll ever see those up here?

A lot of anglers who target Stripers along the North East complain about the amount of catchers .Maybe they need to work on their game a little more = you know personal ability  :laugh:

The PNW is seeing this with Steelhead and Salmon. Government clearly showing preference to commercial guys who are ****ing the rivers with indiscriminate netting and trying to pass Chum as good table fish.

My 4 th year traveling for fishing trips. I try to do 3 or 4 trips a year if I can swing it. You can thank Silver Kings for that, Tarpon are sooo addicting can’t get enough. Leave in a few weeks for the Keys for a flats trip. I go by myself every time as I don’t want anyone else to influence my days a field. I live on Block 4 or 5 days a week and have been here since 1982. Witnessed a lot of ups and downs but this one hurts bad. Really want to go to Louisiana next for Bull Reds,but they keep getting beat to crap by hurricanes. Tough times