Mainiac

What we gonna flyfish for............

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Sea robins, anyone?  They seem plentiful.  Hard to clean but tasty.

The new king of NE game fishing...

11 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Sea robins, anyone?  They seem plentiful.  Hard to clean but tasty.

Sadly that’s coming. 

they aren’t bad on the plate but not good enough to be worth the effort to clean them. 

Been trying to target sea bass on fly from shore, but either I stink or they aren’t playing. The Grouper of the northeast. At least they eat well unlike blues, only caught a few blues all year. Crazy times

2 mins ago, Sngl2th said:

Hopefully the climate will warm enough for the reds to come up here, where they too will be mismanaged to death.

Maybe but not in my lifetime. 

if there was a complete moratorium today (and I mean complete, no fishing at all, even c n r) it would take 6-8 years to see some improvement on the coast and that would just be smaller fish. 

There used to be Redfish and Sheepshead very common in Monmouth county NJ. Some of the pictures from the old fishing piers show huge surf caught Red Drum. 

The bluefish and striper fishing is a shadow of what was 10 years ago and near death to what it was 20 years ago. 

Gave up my boat 25yrs ago...but now if ever is the time for another one, anyway if I want to fish for stripers ever again.

8 mins ago, Running Ape said:

Hey why does Florida manage its fish so well? Tourist dollars? 

I don't know but I'm guessing that their fish & game is well funded and they understand the value of having fish in the water vs dead on the dock. Also, they have some pure gamefish - snook, tarpon, bones, permit - no commercial fisheries there. Also, those fish and been c&r for a long time. Our NE fish are considered food and on the for-hire side have been marketed as piles of fish on a dock.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:23 PM, Hook I said:

The Catskills will be open for C&R all winter this year so on a good day , that’s where I’ll be . Some NJ streams also . Tampa Thanksgiving ~ Christmas the inshore 3 is good Reds , Trout , Snook been lucky some years with Cobia . 

Olives through the fall can be great.

31 mins ago, Running Ape said:

The fisheries may be managed well, but the environmental impact from agriculture, mining, and development have reduced several of Florida’s fisheries to shadows of what they once were. I’ve spoken to many folks down there who’ve lived the golden years and also witnessed the decline. 

I hope everyone on this thread has signed up with ASGA. Get involved, write letters, and attend meetings when possible. It seems to me this is the last hope for saving the stripers. Anyone that thinks striped bass fishing on the cape is good right now was not around 10-15 years ago. It's a shell of what it used to be.

15 hours ago, Running Ape said:

Florida doesn't manage fish well.  They do what is good for the local economy and that means the more tourists fishing in Florida the better.  Tourist don't show up to fish unless there are fish in the water to fish for.  They way Florida manages it's water quality is a joke. That's just the beginning, Florida does not deserve the praise it receives from out of state anglers.

I used to catch Tarpon, Snook, big Jacks, Blue Runners and small Bluefish from my Condo's beach near Delray.

It's been fishless for 7 years.

Herb