Mainiac

What we gonna flyfish for............

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

.....when our stripers are gone. They're the only game in town here in Maine as far as shore bound anglers are concerned.

Guess we're pretty much screwed here. How will the demise of the striped bass affect you ?

I already consider them to be gone. Also gone are weaks and blues. 

I’ve moved to freshwater fishing. I also plan to start traveling for various things. Maybe a small trip (Florida or similar) and a bigger trip every year. 

It is incredibly sad to say this, but I will never see shore based fishing here in the NE like I have on the past. It is what it is though. 

It is pretty sad to see.  I used to travel for business from NJ to Maine.  I would shore fish along the way.  Stops in Ct, R.I. the Outer Cape, NorthShore Boston, NH and finally the Mousam River in Maine.  No more as the fishing pretty much s**** in all those places now. I now just charter a handful of trips a year, trying to schedule it just right so that maybe, just maybe, I can catch a few fish.  So far this year, except for one Spring trip in NJ, it has not worked out well.  My R.I trip was bad, Boston Harbor was bad in June, as 7 hours of fishing yielded one nice bass. My Montauk trip next week was cancelled already as there are no fish of any kind there.  Last hope for the year in the NE, is a Westport Ma trip possibly next Sunday. Have  a Harkers trip planned for November.  Maybe this will pan out??

The Catskills will be open for C&R all winter this year so on a good day , that’s where I’ll be . Some NJ streams also . Tampa Thanksgiving ~ Christmas the inshore 3 is good Reds , Trout , Snook been lucky some years with Cobia . 

I wonder if our fish management crew ever reads posts on this web site ?  They might learn some valuable information.  What am I saying ,they don't want to know the real truth,because they are responsible for the disaster unfolding.  

If I were stuck here for the whole year I'd be fishing for Large and small mouths bass as well as trout.  That would terrify the trout fisherman. LOL

The only good news is that I have great photos and memories of how great it was fishing with my sons and friends. We had a good 20years of fun.

The striper bite is still productive in the MA, NH, ME region but as you've noted a boat is necessary. The shore might still be possible but I have not tried that. It does not need to be a big boat.  Kayak will do.  I've found saltwater fish in southern NH and all over MA that can be reached with a kayak. Pick your days and bring a buddy boat.  May and June in Cape Cod bay was really good.  Better then it has been for the last couple of years. 

However I get your point.  The current situation sucks. On a positive note, the blues I've caught this year are the biggest I've seen in several years. 

Ask the new generation, the chest thumpers on social media. To them there’s nothing wrong. At least that’s how it seems. Cornballs calling 15-pounders “big”. 

19 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Ask the new generation, the chest thumpers on social media. To them there’s nothing wrong. At least that’s how it seems. Cornballs calling 15-pounders “big”. 

No ****. It took me a long time to break 20, another 10 years to break 40 and another 15 to break 50. 

48 mins ago, qecfly said:

The striper bite is still productive in the MA, NH, ME region but as you've noted a boat is necessary. The shore might still be possible but I have not tried that. It does not need to be a big boat.  Kayak will do.  I've found saltwater fish in southern NH and all over MA that can be reached with a kayak. Pick your days and bring a buddy boat.  May and June in Cape Cod bay was really good.  Better then it has been for the last couple of years. 

However I get your point.  The current situation sucks. On a positive note, the blues I've caught this year are the biggest I've seen in several years. 

Take my word for it, things are dismal even in the boat. The striper fishery in Buzzards Bay and along the Elizabeth Islands is the worst I’ve ever seen it. It’s been getting progressively worse with each season. 

@Seadogg, my experience has been different then yours.  Yes, Buzzards Bay was tough for me this year as well for stripers but the bluefish bite was very good.  Cape Cod bay was better then it has been in the last few years. Tons of bait from NH to RI this year.  Mostly Menhaden and Macs but also sand eels.  My normal places did not hold fish but once I figured things out the schoolie bite was good.

1 hour ago, qecfly said:

@Seadogg, my experience has been different then yours.  Yes, Buzzards Bay was tough for me this year as well for stripers but the bluefish bite was very good.  Cape Cod bay was better then it has been in the last few years. Tons of bait from NH to RI this year.  Mostly Menhaden and Macs but also sand eels.  My normal places did not hold fish but once I figured things out the schoolie bite was good.

Well I don’t know where you were fishing, but where I traditionally fish has been nearly devoid of bluefish since early July. Sure, there were areas that featured some throughout the summer, but the fishery is a shadow of what it was just a decade ago. Years ago you couldn’t get away from bluefish. It was guaranteed action anywhere in the bay, anywhere in the sound. Anyone who was around for those days isn’t calling these days “good”. Sorry.