OnlyChunk

Striped Bass are Overfished

Rate this topic

225 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Transcripts of the meetings are available on the ASMFC website.

Reading Fote’s comments is not the same as hearing the. come out of his mouth. 

There’s ignorance and then there holy crap did he just say that….

18 mins ago, Drew C. said:

True, but a lot of these guys are working when the meetings take place, so at least they can read it without asking other site members to post it. What's the difference if thy read it here, courtesy of another member or they read it there, courtesy of the ASMFC (which their tax dollars pay for)

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I've been privy to those words in person.  He can have a room of 60 ppl telling him their experiences and he will tell them their experiences are wrong.  And he still gets to represent our voice.  

Edited by fishless

17 mins ago, fishless said:

I've been privy to those words in person.  He can have a room of 60 ppl telling him their experiences and he will tell them their experiences are wrong.  And he still gets to represent our voice.  

He’s a menace. 

2 hours ago, fishless said:

I'm at loss as to what I should do.  

Write the governor.  From what I understand they're the ones that call the shots.  If enough people complain to him, maybe he will actually listen.

In past years I have written each governor along the east coast to express my frustration and concern with where our fishery was headed.  Even if nothing ever became of those letters, I feel better venting my concerns as opposed to not saying anything.

44 mins ago, jps1010 said:

Write the governor.  From what I understand they're the ones that call the shots.  If enough people complain to him, maybe he will actually listen.

In past years I have written each governor along the east coast to express my frustration and concern with where our fishery was headed.  Even if nothing ever became of those letters, I feel better venting my concerns as opposed to not saying anything.

The problem with Fote is that he’s not a bad guy, he’s a veteran AND asmfc just gave him a lifetime achievement award or something like that. It’s hard to remove people like that, no? 

I agree, he is not a bad guy, but is completely clueless. The state reps are all just puppets as well, with no real thoughts of their own. The commercial interests completely control the state of NJ...

10 hours ago, 27conch said:

I agree, he is not a bad guy, but is completely clueless. The state reps are all just puppets as well, with no real thoughts of their own. The commercial interests completely control the state of NJ...

By commercial, I assume that you mean for hires? imho, the for hires (party & charter boats) drive most things drive NJ position on fishery issues. The state is a mess.

PS - I don't know if Fote can even spell asmfc

Edited by Drew C.

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

The problem with Fote is that he’s not a bad guy, he’s a veteran AND asmfc just gave him a lifetime achievement award or something like that. It’s hard to remove people like that, no? 

Over the years I have spoken with some of these not so bad guys.  Several years ago one of them was convinced it was the lack of bunker that was the reason for our striped bass challenges.  My response was we had plenty of bunker in the 80s but no bass so his argument didn't provide a sufficient reason.

Another of these guys agreed there were problems but the ASMFC is very political.  He admitted the for-hires/commercial sector believe it is there right to kill every fish in the ocean if they wanted to.  He suggested I reach out to the governor since they are the ones who make the decisions.  I took him up on that and began to write every one of them on the east coast, voicing my concerns and displeasure.  I had seen this day coming a mile away and wanted to do my part to try to help avert the significant decline we are now experiencing. 

Sure, but who says we have to remove him.  We can still share our concerns with his boss in the hopes that something is actually done. It certainly won't change if we don't speak up.  I'm pretty confident if we haven't spoken up over the past several years the few decent weeks I have to look forward to in the Fall wouldn't even be that.

8 hours ago, Drew C. said:

By commercial, I assume that you mean for hires? imho, the for hires (party & charter boats) drive most things drive NJ position on fishery issues. The state is a mess.

This is my giant frustration with the entire conversation.  These hard working honorable family businesses argue they'll lose their commercial viability if their 'recreational' clients can't kill enough stripers. 

The public comment shows the publics preference is repeatedly undermined by a small group's commercial interest.  But where are the recreational anglers calling for weaker regs? 

Every time they say "real fisherman don't know how to use the internet and couldn't comment" I hear "my friends own for-hire businesses and can't face reality". 

Edited by Bait Tailer

19 hours ago, MakoMike said:

True, but a lot of these guys are working when the meetings take place, so at least they can read it without asking other site members to post it. What's the difference if thy read it here, courtesy of another member or they read it there, courtesy of the ASMFC (which their tax dollars pay for)

I refer to the transcripts constantly.  They're a valuable source that are easily searchable, unlike the voice recordings of Council meetings that require hours of listening when trying to do research.

At the same time, anyone who does have the opportunity to listen to--or attend--a meeting should try to do so at least once, to get a feeling for the dynamics--and for the tone in which comments are made, which often provides insights about the speaker, but doesn't come through on the printed page.

18 hours ago, fishless said:

Largely because the New Jersey angling community condones his behavior.  If enough anglers contacted the governor's office, and provided a viable alternative for Governor's Appointee, they could probably get better representation.

But folks wont go to the trouble of working for change.

Edited by CWitek

On 10/10/2021 at 10:53 AM, CWitek said:

In 1983, in response to the collapse of the stocks, Congress passed the Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act, which empowered the ASMFC to adopt coastwide management measures and enforce them through the mechanism of a moratorium, imposed by the Secretary of Commerce, on a non-compliant state.

Then, in 2000, the ASMFC amended its charter to give legislative and governor's appointees equal standing with professional fishery managers, which allowed parties with vested interests to impact the process without legal constraints.

Things that make me scratch my chin hair and go ...Hmmm