OnlyChunk

Striped Bass are Overfished

Rate this topic

298 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, afterhours said:

For the thousandth time...........Gamefish status. They are worth more alive than dead. 

100% All the delis and gas stations across the North East have lost allot of my business I don't travel just to get skunked. 

Edited by nfnDrum

On 10/10/2021 at 2:33 PM, dcobbett said:

We all need to look in the mirror. I'm in my late 70"s and live and fish in Massachusetts. I remember when the state imposed a no-fish bass mandate. It lasted quite a while. I think it was back when Frank Sargent was the Governor. Anyway, the Dept of Marine Fisheries eventually announced a meeting to discuss the no-fish issue and I went up to Gloucester to listen to what they had to say. The placed was backed. When they announced that the closure would be lifted there were cheers through out the room. All except one guy who stood up and yelled "now we can get back to killing some fish". That persons attitude has stayed in the back of my mind to this day and I firmly believe that it is the main reason bass are in trouble today.

Yup, That attitude still persists today. 

43 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Yup, That attitude still persists today. 

Just witnessed this exact problem during a Spanish Mackerel run. Gotchas flying left and right, guys with buckets of fish, and one fella says “I don’t know what the hell I'm going to do with all these...”

Pathetic. 

35 mins ago, Danthe said:

Just witnessed this exact problem during a Spanish Mackerel run. Gotchas flying left and right, guys with buckets of fish, and one fella says “I don’t know what the hell I'm going to do with all these...”

Pathetic. 

Back around 2010 or so, when NJ was having massive bunker  blitzes in the spring I was out with friends. When everything settled down one of my friends was trying to figure out what to do with the 2 bass that he had. All his neighbors and friends were stocked up with fish. I simply said that “you can throw them back ya know”. I got a look of confusion. He was a good fisherman and a good guy but everyone keeps their keepers I guess. 

NJ no longer has that fishery. I wonder why…

23 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Replenishment.  We have a lifeless beach now.  All marine habitats in the form of jetties are now buried.  And most structure is filled in.  There's no reason for fish to pay us a visit anymore.  The boat guys are still getting there's thou around the 3 mile line.  There was just a protest last week to try and put a halt to replenishments but it will continue for another 95 more yrs I believe the contract runs for. 

To the point of the first post of the thread.  What is the new plan being considered.  I didn't see it mentioned in the thread or doing a quick glance thru the conversation.  I would love for a moratorium to gain some momentum. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

So is the replenishment acting like a moratorium in effect? Push fish away from a good number of recreational anglers? 

Edited by Danthe

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Back around 2010 or so, when NJ was having massive bunker  blitzes in the spring I was out with friends. When everything settled down one of my friends was trying to figure out what to do with the 2 bass that he had. All his neighbors and friends were stocked up with fish. I simply said that “you can throw them back ya know”. I got a look of confusion. He was a good fisherman and a good guy but everyone keeps their keepers I guess. 

The NJ kill culture is heavvy and makes me sick.  It's a shame really.  I've seen it too often where people have stocked freezers to a point where you know they will be throwing several fish in the trash just to make room for their latest haul.

I’d be willing to pay double or more for licensing if it would put more conservation efforts in place and not pork. 

Slippery slope I reckon and nothing is without controversy. 

1 hour ago, Danthe said:

So is the replenishment acting like a moratorium in effect? Push fish away from a good number of recreational anglers? 

The boat rec guys still do their damage.  But land based guys don't see the same action as during pre-replenishment.  Go one state south of NJ and they are called rockfish.  For a reason.  In NJ when you bury all the rocks all that's left is a featureless dessert.  The fish pass us by at the 3 mile line or further off.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Replenishment.  We have a lifeless beach now.  All marine habitats in the form of jetties are now buried.  And most structure is filled in.  There's no reason for fish to pay us a visit anymore.  The boat guys are still getting there's thou around the 3 mile line.  There was just a protest last week to try and put a halt to replenishments but it will continue for another 95 more yrs I believe the contract runs for. 

To the point of the first post of the thread.  What is the new plan being considered.  I didn't see it mentioned in the thread or doing a quick glance thru the conversation.  I would love for a moratorium to gain some momentum. 

I’m going disagree strongly there. The fishing sucks because noting is left. Every fall those beaches would be destroyed and replenished multiple times due to storms. You would see a 100’ of beach disappear and then come back. 

I do not think replenishment is a good thing. It definitely causes issues but again, the fishing sucks because there just aren’t any fish left. 

6 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’m going disagree strongly there. The fishing sucks because noting is left. Every fall those beaches would be destroyed and replenished multiple times due to storms. You would see a 100’ of beach disappear and then come back. 

I do not think replenishment is a good thing. It definitely causes issues but again, the fishing sucks because there just aren’t any fish left. 

I would concur, stripped bass have been doing their thing longer than man has been putting artificial hard structure out. Putting in man made structure aggregates the fish together in one place but doesn't actually increase the overall population. In contrast restoring oyster reefs and eelgrass and other naturally occurring things will increase biomass as well as provide forms of structure to fish. 

Wouldn’t it make sense to adding structure to the replenishment efforts, would help reduce the need for replenishment? 

I’m assuming it’s just pumping sand like  I’ve seen down south. 

Ditto.  The south shore beaches I fish do not contain any hard structures.  They are sand beaches that stretch for miles.  10 plus years ago when everyone agreed there were more bass around, there was some very good fishing that could be had during the spring and fall.  Nowadays you will be lucky if you get a few decent weeks in the spring and fall, if that.  To put it in perspective, a fishing buddy of mine was fishing one of these beaches in 2007 when everyone agrees there plenty of bass around.  He was still young and very green when it came to surf fishing.  He was fishing off the ocean, using a 6' rod with a jig and tube and was hammering keeper bass Labor Day weekend while people were swimming next to him.  Fast forward to now, I can't even catch a bass there during a new moon with inclement weather in October.  Something is seriously wrong here.

Beach replenishment certainly doesn't help our cause but it is not the issue.  Less striped bass are.  Again, we've been down this road before.

I'm not saying the fishery is great shape.  It needs as much help as we can give it but if you think the boats here in NJ are not crushing large fish in the Spring and Fall you are mistaken.  It is happening.  So is the destruction of the habitat in which they once used to feed on shore.  Why come on shore if there habitat is gone and the food source stays off shore?  They might not be the smartest fish but they're not that dumb either.