OnlyChunk

Striped Bass are Overfished

Rate this topic

233 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Unfortunately without proper enforcement, it doesn't make a difference to some what changes are made. Sure during the 80's the 36" limit helped rebound the stocks (interpretive). But there were far less people fishing. Fishing was much more a secretive cult that you shared with a select few. NOW...more people are fishing, you can read anything you need to know on the internet and the "WOW look at me!" people with cell phones have regularly crushed spots.

Edited by BernOC

11 hours ago, z-man said:

I agree that the “influencers” should do a better job at fish handling and releases. Even Skinner, who I like, has some not great releases quite often. Plus his video he put out disliking in-line single hooks wasn’t helpful. Possibly losing a few fish that you have to release by law anyways should be a priority over killing or injuring them with a ton of trebles. This isn’t 1970 anymore where every fish was killed to be eaten or sold. 

I heard about Skinner's in-line video so I watched it awhile back.  I don't know what he did but his experience is not consistent with mine.  It's worth repeating, I DO miss fish, but only a few.....nothing like in his video, which has probably steered many away from moving away from treble.  At the end of the day, I am never out fished by the guys I fish that still use trebles, and may even catch more as my fish are released substantially quicker.   

Funny, the first thing I saw this mornings was an "influencers" tournaments results from my area....a board with two columns.  One column marked "Bluefish" had dead blues laying on the sidewalk with anglers names and total weight.  The other had "Stripers" with number of "released" bass.  I hope all the bluefish caught will be utilized....    

20 mins ago, liambrouillette said:

It surprises me how many surf fisherman lack proper fish handling skills, even some really good ones. 

Sad but true. I can’t understand why anyone would be against single hooks. 

For starters. 

11 hours ago, NHAngler said:

I read this as poor management. Call an epo in ma and leave voicemail? After hours activities? There will always be googans that get lucky but I promise that a good red angler that knows what he/she is doing will be letting a lot of fish swim unharmed. ..and also that a door open to sell fish will ensue poaching for a lot of unreported activity. 

That said, everyone has great advice and ideas but this will ultimately go back to decision makers that will priories $ over wildlife management. 

While management is piss poor the rec issue goes beyond that. Too many people have no respect for the resource. Over playing fish, hero shots with exhausted bigger fish held out of the water for minutes, poor handling. I could go on. 

30 mins ago, liambrouillette said:

It surprises me how many surf fisherman lack proper fish handling skills, even some really good ones. 

A lot or the good ones learned from old-timers including me.  Not saying I'm good lol......I just learned from old-timers.  Anyway, the old-timers we fished with in the 70's were barbarians.  I can only speak for my experience but that's the truth.....EVERYTHING was killed.  Mix that with the newer anglers who lack respect and here we are.  Of course it's not everyone, but to your point, it's surprising.  

We need a lesson from Florida fish and game managers. They have their chit together and realize the value of having and keeping fish populations healthy. In doing this they create a goldmine in tourism. Here in the northeast , just looking to kill everything, bait and game fish. Tired of it

26 mins ago, Drew C. said:

While management is piss poor the rec issue goes beyond that. Too many people have no respect for the resource. Over playing fish, hero shots with exhausted bigger fish held out of the water for minutes, poor handling. I could go on. 

Yup management and enforcement.  I had an eye opening discussion with a high ranking officer from NJDEP Bureau of Law Enforcement.  Repeated budget cuts and the area they required to cover make the job nearly impossible....there's a reason we hardly see them.  The other thing that really frustrates the officer is the groups that threaten to have him fired for over-enforcement.  These groups are financed by the tackle industry and have deep pockets....AND friends in politics.        

To me the biggest issue involves all the issues here, specifically that its impossible to quantify the cumulative effect poor fish handling, barbed trebles, harvesting spawning fish, commercial bi-catch and all the poaching going on in back bay bushes everywhere, every night.  The party boats ripping hooks out of illegal fish and tossing them back dead, or tossing them below deck, the environmental factors too.  It's all having a cumulative effect on the fishery which at this point cant be effectively accounted for by ANY governing body in time before the fishery crashes, which it currently is.  anything less than a moratorium at this point is dithering.  Oh I forgot to mention the obligatory fu_k the asmfc comment....something we all agree on.

Edited by DeepBlue85

11 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

To me the biggest issue involves all the issues here, specifically that its impossible to quantify the cumulative effect poor fish handling, barbed trebles, harvesting spawning fish, commercial bi-catch and all the poaching going on in back bay bushes everywhere, every night.  The party boats ripping hooks out of illegal fish and tossing them back dead, or tossing them below deck, the environmental factors too.  It's all having a cumulative effect on the fishery which at this point cant be effectively accounted for by ANY governing body in time before the fishery crashes, which it currently is.  anything less than a moratorium at this point is dithering.  Oh I forgot to mention the obligatory fu_k the asmfc comment....something we all agree on.

You can’t quantify it accurately but you can see the results in the crappy fishing that we currently have. 

1 hour ago, turkaholic said:

We need a lesson from Florida fish and game managers. They have their chit together and realize the value of having and keeping fish populations healthy. In doing this they create a goldmine in tourism. Here in the northeast , just looking to kill everything, bait and game fish. Tired of it

I know where you're coming from. They set regulations that are logical toward maintaining a population, then strictly enforce it.

The only lesson that I think could possibly be borrowed from them is : How to keep politicians from influencing science, and motivate resources toward effective enforcement.  

In my opinion the first step when you want change is to "clean house".  Take every opportunity to disband commissions, and push out incumbent politicians.  Even some thought to be sensitive.   Then move on with your mission.  

Edited by chisler

4 mins ago, chisler said:

I know where you're coming from. They set regulations that are logical toward maintaining a population, then strictly enforce it.

The only lesson that I think could possibly be borrowed from them is : How to keep politicians from influencing science, and motivate resources toward effective enforcement.  

In my opinion the first step when you want change is to "clean house".  Take every opportunity to disband commissions, and push out incumbent politicians.  Even some thought to be sensitive.   Then move on with your mission.  

There’s really no politicians involved here. It’s the structure of the asmfc. They are not obligated to do anything at all. They have good data, at least good enough to make sound decisions but it’s ignored by the various reps due to plain ol greed. It’s a bunch of foxes guarding the henhouse.