OnlyChunk

Striped Bass are Overfished

Rate this topic

235 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, night owl said:

What we need is more fishing influencers to grow the sport as much a possible. The more people fishing the better.

 

We also need lots of internet fishing reports to inform millions of people where exactly the fish are located so they can go catch them.

 

We also need lots of YouTube videos informing millions of people how exactly to catch these fish. 

 

There's LOTS of MONEY to be made in this sport! Yours truly.....  Fishing Capitalists

 

 

Didn't this work out well for other gamefish and fisheries?  I ate every other largemouth before my subscription to Bassmaster. 

 

You see no connection between recreational value and abundance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, night owl said:

What we need is more fishing influencers to grow the sport as much a possible. The more people fishing the better.

 

We also need lots of internet fishing reports to inform millions of people where exactly the fish are located so they can go catch them.

 

We also need lots of YouTube videos informing millions of people how exactly to catch these fish. 

 

There's LOTS of MONEY to be made in this sport! Yours truly.....  Fishing Capitalists

 

 

 

But I’m special. Just read my blog. It’s the other guy. And the commercial rigs. 

 

#overfished 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

The entire situation smells.   

 

All summer long I watched as large fish, over 35" were caught. Fish after fish. Almost without exception, each and every one was removed from the water, and held up for hero photos. Often, multiple hero photos where the poor fish was handed between onlookers, and they had their photos taken with it.

Then, if that wasn't enough, after being out of the water for 5 minutes, they don't even attempt to revive it. They just unceremoniously throw it back in the canal as if it were trash, and watch it float away. :banghd:

I saw this happen again and again all summer. So much so, I cut back on my fishing it bothers me so much.

And people say it’s not the rec anglers causing the problem. 

Edited by Drew C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bob_G said:

I can't begin to tell you how many floaters over 35" I saw this summer on the canal. Some mornings it could be a half dozen.

Certain user groups would show up with their wives, grandparents and kids, all possessing saltwater licenses so they could each take home a fish that someone else caught and gave away.  Then brag about selling the fish privately or to the backdoor of restaurants.

It was a sickening, disgusting display all summer. 

Are you saying thanks commercial guys kill the fish or recreational guys?

It's very rare for me to see a dead bath anywhere very rare if I see one every three years that's probably about what it amounts to.

I can't remember when I started salt water fishing 1978 and then at that time there was two things in the water billion bonkers and a million super size Gators, the only strep mask we saw at that time up until 1983 or 4 was on Atom lure package.

I do remember I'm several occasions and getting up in the morning and looking over the bridge and looking straight down and seeing one or two really big fish bigger than a blue fish way bigger and not knowing what they were back then, now I know everybody but there was so far and few in between we just knew they were some kind of a big fish.

I remember standing on the pier at 14 years of age catching small black fish and bergals little pieces of sandworm and having a blast doing it I remember several times bringing up 8 in bergals up and something pull like hell to snap my line off like paper.

So one day on the Pier with the sun getting low I looked out away from the pier and I saw this huge tail switching back and forth I look to the right and that I noticed the whole body and that damn fish was as big as me I had no clue as to what it was but when I got old enough to know I knew what it was.

They were big.

I I sure hope their numbers turn around.

 

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Iv never personaly fished the canal, but the description about the way things are done up there is absolutly disgraceful and sounds a lot like what I see on a smaller scale in my local waters.  Add to that their disregard for their own trash, feces and sometimes loud music...its a wonder so many people cant stand them.    I wonder what it is about fishing that causes grown adults to abandon their inhibitions and promptly turn into feeble minded cave dwellers....regardles of nationality and origin. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, z-man said:

Everyone blames someone else for the lack of stripers. Guys blame social media but yet still go out and keep every keeper they catch. Guys are still fishing plugs with three trebles and tearing up fish that they are releasing. Others are still lifting fish with a boga or by the gills. Just keep blaming everyone else. 

Good point and I'll rant on both....  First time I saw a boga, I mean that thing should be a no-brainer right? Damage!  Next up, trebles....considering the state of the fishery, trebles should be viewed the same way....it's obvious that even a single treble with crushed barbs can cause serious damage, and fact is trebles are not needed.  Yes, I miss a few fish using inline singles hooks, but does that really matter?  I can get that treble out an eyeball w/o damage right?  These are questions I asked myself.....the answers were no and no.  Not telling anybody to do anything, but I be honest, 86ing trebles has made me enjoy surf fishing even more.   

 

Sorry Z-Man, but I feel the need to throw some blame.  These "influencers" and their tournaments deserve some blame because they can turn men into savages.....and all for low end junk prizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am blessed to have caught a number of Bass that were over 50 inches and 50lbs. They were gently revived and released. Those fish were over 20yrs old and deserved to be released, having survived for that long with all sorts of danger.

I truly love these fish and hope they survive, I hate what is going on today.  You can tell I'm and old kute that is resigned this cycle is  leading to a mandatory moritorium.

All you young fisher people should push to make changes in the way the fishery is managed, our generation did a poor job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Frede said:

Good point and I'll rant on both....  First time I saw a boga, I mean that thing should be a no-brainer right? Damage!  Next up, trebles....considering the state of the fishery, trebles should be viewed the same way....it's obvious that even a single treble with crushed barbs can cause serious damage, and fact is trebles are not needed.  Yes, I miss a few fish using inline singles hooks, but does that really matter?  I can get that treble out an eyeball w/o damage right?  These are questions I asked myself.....the answers were no and no.  Not telling anybody to do anything, but I be honest, 86ing trebles has made me enjoy surf fishing even more.   

 

Sorry Z-Man, but I feel the need to throw some blame.  These "influencers" and their tournaments deserve some blame because they can turn men into savages.....and all for low end junk prizes.

I agree that the “influencers” should do a better job at fish handling and releases. Even Skinner, who I like, has some not great releases quite often. Plus his video he put out disliking in-line single hooks wasn’t helpful. Possibly losing a few fish that you have to release by law anyways should be a priority over killing or injuring them with a ton of trebles. This isn’t 1970 anymore where every fish was killed to be eaten or sold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bob_G said:

The entire situation smells.   

 

All summer long I watched as large fish, over 35" were caught. Fish after fish. Almost without exception, each and every one was removed from the water, and held up for hero photos. Often, multiple hero photos where the poor fish was handed between onlookers, and they had their photos taken with it.

Then, if that wasn't enough, after being out of the water for 5 minutes, they don't even attempt to revive it. They just unceremoniously throw it back in the canal as if it were trash, and watch it float away. :banghd:

I saw this happen again and again all summer. So much so, I cut back on my fishing it bothers me so much.

Sorry to say but it’s time to close the canal to bass fishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Drew C. said:

And people say it’s not the rec anglers causing the problem. 

I read this as poor management. Call an epo in ma and leave voicemail? After hours activities? There will always be googans that get lucky but I promise that a good red angler that knows what he/she is doing will be letting a lot of fish swim unharmed. ..and also that a door open to sell fish will ensue poaching for a lot of unreported activity. 

 

That said, everyone has great advice and ideas but this will ultimately go back to decision makers that will priories $ over wildlife management. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now