OnlyChunk

Striped Bass are Overfished

Rate this topic

235 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

MD is looking out for ‘our’ spawners?

you’re kidding, right?

They used to, and to the extent that they don't allow fishing on the spawning grounds, and have a 19-26 inch slot on the Susquehanna Flats, one could argue that they still do.  But the old regulations that prohibited keeping fish over something like 34 inches or 15 pounds (I don't recall which one it was right now) are long gone.

In fact, the Maryland spring "trophy season" marks the only time and place where an angler is allowed to kill a (almost certainly female) striped bass over 38 inches long anywhere on the coast, as Maryland has a 35-inch minimum size for that fishery and no maximum.  New Jersey's 28- to 38-inch slot and Virginia's slot with a 36-inch maximum size mark the only other places on the coast where a bass over 35 inches may be landed.

14 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Like many things in life, one hand washes the other. Look at it this way, if MD didn’t look out for the spawners there might not be any fish left. “Producer status” has a long history at the ASMFC. Originally NY, NJ & DE had such status and the perks that go along with it.

So it is a protection racket.

Nice fishery you got here...  Would be a shame if someone killed too many juvenile and spawning fish...

Adding this to my top ASMFC issues S#;+list: the brilliant idea to give producer status perks to a state that takes pride in racing to the bottom.

6 hours ago, Drew C. said:

MD is looking out for ‘our’ spawners?

you’re kidding, right?

No, one can certainly make that argument, especially if you look at history.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

NY and DE are fishing on spawning fish even without any special status.

Crazy. I know it is a big thing for fisherman in the Hudson Valley when the striped bass come up the river, but it’s ridiculous that fishing is allowed. Season should be completely closed for targeting stripers when they’re actively spawning.

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, Finneus said:

Crazy. I know it is a big thing for fisherman in the Hudson Valley when the striped bass come up the river, but it’s ridiculous that fishing is allowed. Season should be completely closed for targeting stripers when they’re actively spawning.

Banning targeting them during the highest water temperature months of July and August would do a ton of good for the fish, but would never happen. This would be for NY,NJ,CT,RI and MA

Edited by canalsharpie

On 10/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, fishless said:

The boat rec guys still do their damage.  But land based guys don't see the same action as during pre-replenishment.  Go one state south of NJ and they are called rockfish.  For a reason.  In NJ when you bury all the rocks all that's left is a featureless dessert.  The fish pass us by at the 3 mile line or further off.

The fishery has died on natural beaches 2 states to the south, and on rocks to the south. It isn’t just replenishment, it’s just that there’s no fish. 

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

No, one can certainly make that argument, especially if you look at history.

I could give 2 **** about history. What is going on currently is the issue.

Maryland sucks, NJ sucks.  I'm being quite kind with my words.