OnlyChunk

Striped Bass are Overfished

Rate this topic

234 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t think that’s gonna happen,  but I'm all for it.

Edited by mybosox3

3 mins ago, i_like_poppers said:

But the moratorium was only for recreational harvest, what gives? 

In RI it was one fish @ 36" back in the moratorium of the 80's for comms,

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Not bad , I’d say eight or so years too late.

At least eight

Realistically, ten to fifteen.

17 mins ago, Popasilov said:

At least eight

Realistically, ten to fifteen.

You got that right. 2013 was an above average year but id say the last good fishing was 2006. This fishery is effed!!!!!

1 hour ago, afterhours said:

In RI it was one fish @ 36" back in the moratorium of the 80's for comms,

I wonder how many they killed and just threw back in the water cuz they were short or took illegally and sold on the side somewhere.

HH

The whole scene breaks my old heart, it is an unneeded situation that was created by total mismanagement.  I'm fed up an will give up striper fishing, moratorium or not.  I fortunately have my southern fishery to fall back on which is managed to perfection. Snook, permit,sea trout, tarpon, redfish, grouper etc.  It's a pity the fishery has been destroyed. for stripers.  Too many people chasing too few fish.

I have a lot of good equipment that will show up on BST soon.

4 hours ago, OnlyChunk said:

ASMFC is creating a new plan to manage striped bass. Will they implement a moratorium on the harvest of striped bass? 

I'm betting no, although the issue will be considered.

I hope so.  I think it's the best chance to ensuring a healthy fishery in the future.  I hope I am still physically able to rock hop when things turnaround 10 to 15 years down the road.

33 mins ago, bob_G said:

I can't begin to tell you how many floaters over 35" I saw this summer on the canal. Some mornings it could be a half dozen.

Certain user groups would show up with their wives, grandparents and kids, all possessing saltwater licenses so they could each take home a fish that someone else caught and gave away.  Then brag about selling the fish privately or to the backdoor of restaurants.

It was a sickening, disgusting display all summer. 

Wow that is really sad.

It seems like the more that they tighten their grip the more slips through their fingers, they don't eliminate it they don't stop it they just drive it in the back corners back streets behind buildings.

All for the Love of money,,,sad.

Professor will be happy if there were many many more guys like us

HH

What we need is more fishing influencers to grow the sport as much a possible. The more people fishing the better.

We also need lots of internet fishing reports to inform millions of people where exactly the fish are located so they can go catch them.

We also need lots of YouTube videos informing millions of people how exactly to catch these fish. 

There's LOTS of MONEY to be made in this sport! Yours truly.....  Fishing Capitalists