salvadore33

Redington Crux vs predator

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hey fellas

 

So after being a newb to fly fishing for the past 3-4 years, my starter rod finally gave out on me during an outing in the cape, anywho I reached out to the fine people at redington and was able to get a 50% off coupon towards a new purchase, so I'm limited to getting from said brand.  

After looking at their line up I figured I'd make use of the discount and get one of thier higher end rods and it would not break the bank. So I wanted to ask if anyone has tried either the Crux or the Predator line of rods?

 

My application would be for saltwater

North East, stripped bass, bluefish, fluke, Albies. I already have several 9wt fly lines so would rather stick to that weight of rod. 

 

Attached is a picture of my now 

deceased rod mid biting the dust.

 

Lue

Capture+_2021-10-07-09-01-22~2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go with predator...  its a strong rod that has a proven record.  Many guides use them as boat rods which is a good thing.  Its sort of a heavy rod.  Not to go down the rabbit hole but both TFO and ECHO have rods similar or maybe better for the same price and build quality.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killiefish said:

Agree - the Predator over the Crux.  Bit heavy in 9wt but you look like you can handle it.

When you say heavy do you mean like in actual physical weight or the amount of force it takes to load the rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

If you have an assortment of 9wt lines go with a 7 or 8wt Predator...they're tough rods but grossly mislabeled.

You positive on that?

 

I spoke with a rep yesterday about possibly getting an 8wt to double duty as a large mouth bass rod and smaller striper rod and was told that the predator is pretty spot on with its rating and that my 9wt lines wouldn't match up to it too well.

 

Just don't want to pull the trigger and get stuck with something that won't work for the applications.

 

Lue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mightyrime said:

go with predator...  its a strong rod that has a proven record.  Many guides use them as boat rods which is a good thing.  Its sort of a heavy rod.  Not to go down the rabbit hole but both TFO and ECHO have rods similar or maybe better for the same price and build quality.

 

 

Thanks for the heads up unfortunately I'm limited to strictly a redington cause of the 50% off coupon. Otherwise I wouldn't be looking at purchasing a $350 to $400 fly rod. But figured it was a.chance to get a nice high end rod without the guilt of the full price tag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Predators are not high end rods.  They are mid-priced rods.  They are built with the idea that they are better at fighting fish than a similarly rated "flats" type rod.  Most of the early Predators were also far too powerful for their rating.  This was remedied to some extent in the newer versions.  I think that if your lines are 9wt Outbound type lines then get a 9wt Predator.  Outbound lines are already over-lined by at least two line weights.  If your "nine" weight lines are more traditional (standard AFTMA) weight forward lines then consider getting an 8 weight Predator.  YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d lean towards the 8 myself. 
For a couple reasons. First nearly all modern rods can manage being up lined by one weight line. 
Second that up lined 8 tossing a 9 line will load fast and be able to shoot without having to play line out via a false cast. 
The quicker the fly is in the water the sooner the fish get a chance to see it. 
The only reason I’d suggest you to go with a 9 rod would be if you are honestly a consistent 100’ fly caster. 
And many folks aren’t and that’s not a bad thing at all. 
The point I’m driving is that it’s far easier on your own body to work a #8 rod all day then a #9. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, Killiefish said:

The Predators are not high end rods.  They are mid-priced rods.  They are built with the idea that they are better at fighting fish than a similarly rated "flats" type rod.  Most of the early Predators were also far too powerful for their rating.  This was remedied to some extent in the newer versions.  I think that if your lines are 9wt Outbound type lines then get a 9wt Predator.  Outbound lines are already over-lined by at least two line weights.  If your "nine" weight lines are more traditional (standard AFTMA) weight forward lines then consider getting an 8 weight Predator.  YMMV.

Most of the lines I have are a airflo cold water striper intermediate and floating the only heavier line I own is a 300 grain airflo depth finder. I'm not as well versed in the ins and out of fly lines so not sure if they fall into the "standard aftma" you mentioned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, salvadore33 said:

Most of the lines I have are a airflo cold water striper intermediate and floating the only heavier line I own is a 300 grain airflo depth finder. I'm not as well versed in the ins and out of fly lines so not sure if they fall into the "standard aftma" you mentioned

All my fly rods are Predators., except for the two handers...

 

I agree with Killiefish and Linesidesonthefly...Get an 8 weight, put your Airflo 9 weight line on it, and you're good to go...

I use OBS 8weight lines on my 8 weight rod, and it is slightly too heavy at 330 grs... Your 9 weight line will be spot on.

 

Strong rods, 4 pieces for travel, no frills, reliable. 

Just my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, snapper1 said:

All my fly rods are Predators., except for the two handers...

 

I agree with Killiefish and Linesidesonthefly...Get an 8 weight, put your Airflo 9 weight line on it, and you're good to go...

I use OBS 8weight lines on my 8 weight rod, and it is slightly too heavy at 330 grs... Your 9 weight line will be spot on.

 

Strong rods, 4 pieces for travel, no frills, reliable. 

Just my opinion.

 

Thank you snapper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snapper nails it.  Newer 8wt Predator (version 2) is right on the money, for those lines, IMO.  You might also want to ask Brian (moderator here) about the Predators as I believe he is a fan of the 9ft versions, at least as back-ups to his high end Sage rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2021 at 7:40 AM, snapper1 said:

 

I use OBS 8weight lines on my 8 weight rod, and it is slightly too heavy at 330 grs... Your 9 weight line will be spot on.

 

 

 

I had a similar experience with the current Predator.  I borrowed one for several long days in Alaska and thought my Outbound 9 wt heads matched the 10 wt Predator well.  Rather than the rod being off, IMO the Outbounds could stand to be 30 grains lighter to better reflect their weight rating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just a follow up and thank you to all!! i got the Predator and have fought a few stripers and shad before the end of last season and it has about the right amount of give to play schoolies all evening

20211023_011745.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.