judahL

No more factory heavers?!??

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Wanted to advise a friend as to which factory spinning rod could reliably throw 7-8&bait and looked around and I’m not seeing anything… maybe I’m just out of the loop but, WTH? 

What’s out there that the DelMarVa group would like to recommend? Anything new or good?

(pls don’t tell me it cost $700 to get going) 

best,

judah 

20 mins ago, dj1975232 said:

For spinning I started with a Tica 12' 4-10.  That handled up to 8oz but I wouldn't go any higher. 

Thanks. Same here. The Dolphin’s seem to not be as good of quality blanks as the older TC2. I started with a TC2 as well and it held up well until guide rings gave out eventually. 

maybe I was wrong and there are some decent options. I think for throwing 8&bait on a spinner I prefer a more ‘forgiving’ action than with a conventional. I guess I like my pointer finger lol. 

24 mins ago, judahL said:

Thanks. Same here. The Dolphin’s seem to not be as good of quality blanks as the older TC2. I started with a TC2 as well and it held up well until guide rings gave out eventually. 

maybe I was wrong and there are some decent options. I think for throwing 8&bait on a spinner I prefer a more ‘forgiving’ action than with a conventional. I guess I like my pointer finger lol. 

I have the TC2 version.  And agreed it wasn’t too long with the spinner before I switched over to conventional for a heaver.  So much easier and more comfortable even than trying to use a spinner even with a cannon.  

On 10/7/2021 at 0:01 AM, judahL said:

Wanted to advise a friend as to which factory spinning rod could reliably throw 7-8&bait and looked around and I’m not seeing anything… maybe I’m just out of the loop but, WTH? 

What’s out there that the DelMarVa group would like to recommend? Anything new or good?

(pls don’t tell me it cost $700 to get going) 

best,

judah 

CPS GEN 2 Factory Built Rod, 12 ft. 8" 4-8 oz is the best "factory heaver" I know of - $349

On 10/7/2021 at 7:55 PM, judahL said:

So guide rings breaking mean the blank itself is not good?  The dolphin blank is superior to the tc2, the performance of the guides has nothing to do with the blank. Fuji guides come on the dolphin blank, and those are good guides. 

The St Croix Avid surf rods are good factory rods to consider in my opinion.  I have 2 older ones that still get lots of use after 15 or more years.  I have a newer Avid from a few years ago too that uses the newer guide technology and it's a great rod.  My point here is that based on my experience the st Croix surf rods are good quality factory rods that will last if taken care of.  Caught many drum on those rods.  Good rods cost $$$ but is worth it. 

I got a couple older Tica's, guides broke, one rod broke, not impressed.  

8 hours ago, d-man said:

The St Croix Avid surf rods are good factory rods to consider in my opinion.......  My point here is that based on my experience the st Croix surf rods are good quality factory rods that will last if taken care of.   

Also one of the best warranty’s in the industry, even if you broke it in the tailgate!