surfamerica

Brenton Point

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, DZ said:

From what I’ve researched most of the fishermen with actual gear were well off and could afford it.  Many of the bass clubs were “Gentlemen Clubs” where you needed some type of pedigree to join.  They would hire locals like the guy in the middle of the photo to chum, bait and cast lines, and land/gaff their bass.  All the gentlemen did was reel in the fish. Kind of similar to modern charter boat fishing in some cases. 

Super interesting thanks for sharing. I would give anything to see Newport around the time those bass stands were used. Excited for your book!

OP is still here? The thread evolved into something cool, stop trying to claw it back to your level. If I wanted to off myself I'd climb up your ego and jump down to your IQ. 

Edited by JimmyBean

On 10/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, mikez2 said:

Trying to set some kind of record for being branded the biggest D-bag in the fewest number of posts?

RHM’s illegitimate  love child. 

On 10/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, surfamerica said:

“Gentlemen “ clubs, code word for segregated “members only” !!!

Like the whites only club the RI senator belongs too. 

This guy just canceled the famous Graves Point photo. Incredible!!! The guy who doesn't even know enough to wear korkers when he goes out fishing.

Let me ask you a question. If we are going to cancel the history of surf fishing in America when can we cancel the fisherman from parts unknown & their blatant disregard of the law?

On 10/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, surfamerica said:

“Gentlemen “ clubs, code word for segregated “members only” !!!

Like the whites only club the RI senator belongs too. 

I take this quote as a negative comment towards what transpired in the Graves Point photo. I my mind I see it as a "Cancel Culture" comment. Someone looking @ something that happened well over a hundred years ago in a 2021 mindset. A "Gentleman's" Fishing Club to you means segregated & whites only, I guess. Thats the way it was back then. Rich, powerful white males who were the Titans of Industry fishing along a stretch of coast that not many had access to. Not saying it was right but thats the way it was. Back then, you and I , whether we were black or white, would've been bait men, chummers. I'm OK with that. My blood doesn't run blue. Lets be thankful we have the opportunity to fish these stretches of water.

2 hours ago, chipwood said:

I take this quote as a negative comment towards what transpired in the Graves Point photo. I my mind I see it as a "Cancel Culture" comment. Someone looking @ something that happened well over a hundred years ago in a 2021 mindset. A "Gentleman's" Fishing Club to you means segregated & whites only, I guess. Thats the way it was back then. Rich, powerful white males who were the Titans of Industry fishing along a stretch of coast that not many had access to. Not saying it was right but thats the way it was. Back then, you and I , whether we were black or white, would've been bait men, chummers. I'm OK with that. My blood doesn't run blue. Lets be thankful we have the opportunity to fish these stretches of water.

So I'm not white and nor am I part of the Let's Go Brandon movement nor do I classify myself as a D or R. I like to believe I'm smart enough to know both sides are corrupt and no politician actually cares about me/us.

But I think what he and you both said are just what it is. It is the truth, it was a different time. No one is looking to cancel the history of our wonderful sport. But at the same time we can comment on the differences in the way they did things.

No one is posting this to social media and requesting a cancelling of anything. Lay off the conspiracy theories, no emergency broadcasts are going off. I'd like to believe we are grown enough to be able to point out differences between yesteryear and today without anyone taking it as an offense.

I'm more upset they are using what looks like ****ing 200lb test and caught cows and I got stripers being finicky about my 30lb test braid even with a 6 ft leader.