surfamerica

Brenton Point

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2021 at 6:10 AM, mikez2 said:

There is no official rule.

Red is good if you got it. Doesn't hurt the fishing or the eyes of other guys.

My personal preference is head lamp off except for tying knots and landing fish. If it's a reasonably bright night (moon light, bright star light, and/or ambient artificial light), I prefer to walk out on the rocks with no light. The goal is to develop and maintain my night vision. Every time I turn on my light, or some other putz shines his in my face, my night vision is shot for a good 15 minutes or more. If I get hit with bright lights every few minutes, my night vision is shot for good and I can't see chit.

I personally don't have a problem with landing a fish with light on if you have to climb down in the rocks. However if you develop your night vision, you can usually land and unhook your fish with no light.

The biggest thing is, if you have to use your light, you don't shine it in peoples' faces. You keep it pointed down and away and you sure as hell don't walk up to somebody and start talking to them with your headlamp on. 

I also have a problem with the recent trend of using way way too bright headlamps. You don't need anywhere near that much light. When those extra bright lights hit you in the face, it doesn't just ruin your night vision, it hurts like hell.

Again, this is my preference, not a rule. 

You don't need anywhere near that much light. When those extra bright lights hit you in the face, it doesn't just ruin your night vision, it hurts like hell.

Try being a 68 year old man and see how much light you need........................ daylight is barely enough!!! ..but I do my best to keep it down low.......

57 mins ago, jayp195 said:

You don't need anywhere near that much light. When those extra bright lights hit you in the face, it doesn't just ruin your night vision, it hurts like hell.

Try being a 68 year old man and see how much light you need........................ daylight is barely enough!!! ..but I do my best to keep it down low.......

I do get that everyone's eye sight is different. 

I'm 60 and I can see in the dark well enough to walk out on the jetty, land and unhook fish and see breaking fish out in the water without any headlamp at all - only assuming nobody screws my night vision with their lights.

I prefer to use my night vision because I can see all around me, all the time.

With a bright headlamps, you can only see what's in the beam. Everything outside the beam is pitch black. There's no seeing fish break or a guy walking up on you out of the corner of your eye.

With my night vision, I see all around the full extent of my normal eye sight.

But my complaint is really directed to the younger guys that definitely shouldn't need a headlamp so bright it blinds the guys across the breachway. Those things are like search and rescue lights. Way overkill.

And of course, they shine them right in your face.

I also don't think you need the headlamp on the entire time. The problem is, with such bright headlamps, they can't develop night vision. When they turn their light off, they're blind.

Edited by mikez2

On 10/14/2021 at 9:04 AM, Kooky said:

Its always a good time when people come on to complain about people complaining.... good times :laugh:

This thread is confirmation that: once an SOL thread passed 3 pages it's usually now about an entirely different topic and it's usefulness plummets.  Once it passes 5 pages it's usually devolved into bickering about something. 

16 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I do get that everyone's eye sight is different. 

I'm 60 and I can see in the dark well enough to walk out on the jetty, land and unhook fish and see breaking fish out in the water without any headlamp at all - only assuming nobody screws my night vision with their lights.

I prefer to use my night vision because I can see all around me, all the time.

With a bright headlamps, you can only see what's in the beam. Everything outside the beam is pitch black. There's no seeing fish break or a guy walking up on you out of the corner of your eye.

With my night vision, I see all around the full extent of my normal eye sight.

But my complaint is really directed to the younger guys that definitely shouldn't need a headlamp so bright it blinds the guys across the breachway. Those things are like search and rescue lights. Way overkill.

And of course, they shine them right in your face.

I also don't think you need the headlamp on the entire time. The problem is, with such bright headlamps, they can't develop night vision. When they turn their light off, they're blind.

Last night the moon was brighter than my headlamp. 

6 mins ago, AClarke said:

Last night the moon was brighter than my headlamp. 

Some of my favorite nights at Brenton Point have been when the Moon is at its brightest. You can see moonlight reflecting off the water and shimmering onto the rock in the small tidal pools. 

I've also been there when you can't see your hand in front of your face and the darkness sucks the light out of even the brightest headlamp. You can hear thundering waves but only barely see some whitewater. 

Great memories.