surfamerica

Brenton Point

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, mikez2 said:

You should go to the top of the thread and read it all. The guy got nothing but good advice until he decided to be a dick. After that, it was still mostly him insulting Rhode Island guys.

Instead of joining a group and starting out being a dick, it would have been better to lurk for awhile and read old threads. Not only will most questions already be answered in past threads, but you/he would have known "there are no fish in Rhode Island" has been a running gag on this forum for years.

Agreed but sometimes this place can be rough. I associate fishing with fun and friendly advice when I meet someone with the same interests. Here we have that but often there is so much negativity, it makes you wonder if its necessary.

People will put on lights, show up without Korkers and a white bucket and sometimes we might find other fishermen in our favorite spot, god forbid. That will never end. I read more about that here than good fish stories. Lurking is a good idea, hence my 15 posts in multiple years. 

4 mins ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

Agreed but sometimes this place can be rough. I associate fishing with fun and friendly advice when I meet someone with the same interests. Here we have that but often there is so much negativity, it makes you wonder if its necessary.

People will put on lights, show up without Korkers and a white bucket and sometimes we might find other fishermen in our favorite spot, god forbid. That will never end. I read more about that here than good fish stories. Lurking is a good idea, hence my 15 posts in multiple years. 

Well, keep lurking. And you really should turn off your headlamp.

4 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Well, keep lurking. And you really should turn off your headlamp.

People put on their headlamps, never said I did it. It was a list of items People do that isn't generally accepted but we have to live with it.

So what is the official rule on headlamps? I usually go with RED if I have to do something. But what about if you're landing a fish on a jetty in rough conditions, is the white light OK? Normally I wouldn't ask that here because some guys might get crazy but I'm taking a chance since the discussion went in this direction. I'm being serious, all I hear is no white light.  When would it be OK?

12 hours ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

I don't use Korkers all the time, if you fish from shore and its sand you don't need Korkers. Its not that difficult of a question.

SurfAmerica - Keep in mind this forum isn't a good place to ask questions about fishing.  Good place to complain and tell people there are no fish. 

If you ask a question it means you don't know something which means you're a noob and will generally be insulted vs given some good advice.

So my take on Brenton Point is:

Its a rocky spot with large rocks and ledge in a wide spread area. The bottom is also rocks in most places and tends to be a decent spot for Tog. Definitely need Korkers there.  Not the best spot for Stripers vs. most of the other popular places. If you're after Tog, give it a shot if not look elsewhere.

You need to stick to the Boat Ramp. Ledge @ Brenton Point?

On 10/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, surfamerica said:

I am well aware of when and where to use korkers.

If this is true you wouldn’t have asked the question.

10 hours ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

That'd be part of the whole "no fish in ri" thing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

People put on their headlamps, never said I did it. It was a list of items People do that isn't generally accepted but we have to live with it.

So what is the official rule on headlamps? I usually go with RED if I have to do something. But what about if you're landing a fish on a jetty in rough conditions, is the white light OK? Normally I wouldn't ask that here because some guys might get crazy but I'm taking a chance since the discussion went in this direction. I'm being serious, all I hear is no white light.  When would it be OK?

There is no official rule.

Red is good if you got it. Doesn't hurt the fishing or the eyes of other guys.

My personal preference is head lamp off except for tying knots and landing fish. If it's a reasonably bright night (moon light, bright star light, and/or ambient artificial light), I prefer to walk out on the rocks with no light. The goal is to develop and maintain my night vision. Every time I turn on my light, or some other putz shines his in my face, my night vision is shot for a good 15 minutes or more. If I get hit with bright lights every few minutes, my night vision is shot for good and I can't see chit.

I personally don't have a problem with landing a fish with light on if you have to climb down in the rocks. However if you develop your night vision, you can usually land and unhook your fish with no light.

The biggest thing is, if you have to use your light, you don't shine it in peoples' faces. You keep it pointed down and away and you sure as hell don't walk up to somebody and start talking to them with your headlamp on. 

I also have a problem with the recent trend of using way way too bright headlamps. You don't need anywhere near that much light. When those extra bright lights hit you in the face, it doesn't just ruin your night vision, it hurts like hell.

Again, this is my preference, not a rule. 

Edited by mikez2

21 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Wrap it in red Saran wrap if it doesn’t have red. 

Working on boats you always have to use a colored light when in berthing spaces. Once I forgot my lamp without a red setting. A strip of colored electric tape worked surprisingly well. 

16 mins ago, AClarke said:

Working on boats you always have to use a colored light when in berthing spaces. Once I forgot my lamp without a red setting. A strip of colored electric tape worked surprisingly well. 

Yea I’ve never done it but I see guys doing it all the time. Personally, I just make sure my light has a red setting. 

21 hours ago, chipwood said:

You need to stick to the Boat Ramp. Ledge @ Brenton Point?

Are you kidding me? Do you think those are big rocks measuring 300 feet across. Its ledge outcropping ( Bedrock). You know like in the Flintstones. Most of NE is on Bedrock ( Ledge). In some areas it sticks out of the ground or water.

I'll be kind and leave my response at that. Without suggesting what you should stick to.

New England is a region in the North Eastern United States consisting of the states Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. Most of New England consists geologically of volcanic island arcs that accreted onto the eastern edge of the Laurentian Craton in prehistoric times. Much of the bedrock found in New England is heavily metamorphosed due to the numerous mountain building events that occurred in the region. These events culminated in the formation of Pangaea; the coastline as it exists today was created by rifting during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. The most recent rock layers are glacial conglomerates.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Goddard park Boat Ramp

2 hours ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

In case you're wondering Hazard Rock is also ledge, don't forget your Korkers:howdy:

Capture1.PNG

Maybe you're a Geologist, who knows, but Hazard Rock & the Avenues are totally different from Brenton Point. Hazard Rock is more like certain sections of Cliff Walk. Brenton Point is adjacent to a shallow water reef system. Cliff Walk & the Avenues have deep drop-offs relatively close to the rocks. There are some sections of the Drive that are closer to deeper water but that is not Brenton Point. Brenton Point proper, if you will, is a shallow water spot. But I'm sure you know that because you're a Geologist. 

2 hours ago, Goddard park Boat Ramp said:

Edited by chipwood
Wrong quote