Roccus7

Screw the First Monday In October Hype!!

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

For me the most important day in October is the First Afternoon Negative Moon Low Tide in October, which means the local shellfish season has begun and it's low enough to get to the prime clam and oyster flats.  Well that day was today and the pickings were good, as well as dinner.  Too tired to do a raw bar, but that will happen tomorrow, unless I'm back at it stocking up some more since the Full Moon tides this month aren't the best...

IMG-9399.jpg.10a7836d435d38eeef0f8930bd3fa4c0.jpgIMG-9400.jpg.815502e2aff879e39b4cae48bbae1bd7.jpg

1 hour ago, Nbourque said:

Those oysters must be delicious raw. 

I say this with all humility and respect, but they are the best oysters I've ever had, and I've eaten American Oysters from NOLA up to Prince Edward Island.  FYIW the peak of their deliciousness comes in Jan/Feb at the lowest water temps.

Last year we had to take an unexpected trip a day after I collected my February oysters and had to ask a neighbor to do a few things for us around the house.  In recompense I gave him the oysters I had collected and told him they will be the best he ever had.  Looking at me with some skepticism regarding that claim he gladly took them.  15 minutes later I get a phone call, "You weren't LYING!!  Those are the best oysters we've ever had!!!"

In the interest of full disclosure, the clam are among the best I've consumed too.  

Tonight, RAW BAR!!!

Edited by Roccus7

Channeled Britany today, "Oopps I Did It Again", and went back for another 1/2 peck of mixed clams and oysters.  Used a pronged hoe instead of my very heavy basket clam rake so wasn't as tired.  Had enough energy to open1/2 dozen of the oysters, just AMAZING!!

And Poseidon had his way with me.  As I was digging, a few small bass were breaking in the nearby rip just to taunt me...

Edited by Roccus7

On 10/6/2021 at 7:36 PM, Roccus7 said:

IMG-9400.jpg.815502e2aff879e39b4cae48bbae1bd7.jpg

Ohhhh my sweet Jesus!! THAT is one awesome looking Linguini and Clam Sauce if I ever saw one!! :ginzo:

On 10/6/2021 at 7:36 PM, Roccus7 said:

For me the most important day in October is the First Afternoon Negative Moon Low Tide in October, which means the local shellfish season has begun and it's low enough to get to the prime clam and oyster flats.  Well that day was today and the pickings were good, as well as dinner.  Too tired to do a raw bar, but that will happen tomorrow, unless I'm back at it stocking up some more since the Full Moon tides this month aren't the best...

IMG-9399.jpg.10a7836d435d38eeef0f8930bd3fa4c0.jpgIMG-9400.jpg.815502e2aff879e39b4cae48bbae1bd7.jpg

That’s a lot of good bait!

13 hours ago, RAW said:

That’s a lot of good bait!

Bait, Hell NO!!!   Mercenaria mercenaria & Crassostrea virginica are fine people dining.  There's even a nearby mudflat full of razor clams, which are highly prized by hoity toity Chefs, which I agree with, but the Admiral isn't a fan, so they are left to reproduce away.

In the extremely rare instance that I want to drown bivalves for bait, I get those easy-digging Hen Clams, which make for mediocre at best eating, IMO.

8 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

ya gotta take us one time!  Just one time!!!

Someday my friend, after the plague is a memory and when you get the proper permit...