Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Seems kind of unfair that the second best team in the majors could have their season end based on one game. Cardinals finished hot, but LA had 106 wins. Unless it's a tie like Yankees/Red Sox the single game wildcard playoff should be dropped.  

22 mins ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

Drop the one game playoff - wining percentage over the season is good enough

They added an extra Wild Card a few years back, so now 3 Division Champs, and 2 Wild Cards face off to play one of the Division winners, thats 5 playoff teams in each league in the tournament. The penalty for not winning a division is you have to play a single game elimination, makes teams play out the whole season and and makes September interesting. Anything can happen in a single game elimination.

Prior to the current way things are set up, there were 3 Division winners and 1 wild card, in that world only 4 playoff teams but no single game elimination. Unlike hockey and hoops  where everybody gets in, baseball for the most part you need to win 90 to get a spot. Can't let 2 wild card teams have a series whilst the other teams wait, unless you make it a best of 3 with a doubleheader on day 1, finish on day 2 and right to the division playoffs on day 3.

You'd get a better test of teams depth and pitching staffs and they'd be gassed for the playoffs but thats show business. It could be done except the players union would scream unfair working conditions, imagine asking ballplayers to play 3 games in 2 days for maybe a lousy $50K a head (guess, it might be more)  with the chance to make more, who would consider that?

I think it stays this way which is improved over the prior system.  The Dodgers got screwed this year with 106 wins and are wild cards, thats the luck of the draw. 

Great game!  Walk off home run by a struggling player... Now my Dodgers get to tangle with their long time rivals, the Giants, for the 1st time in post season play... Now that's real baseball...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

Doesn't work all the time. Play different set of rival through out the season. Different injuries dictate records. Some type of playoff is needed. 1 game seems tough. But football does it. Playoffs, bring a game, every game or go home. By the way, life long Dodgers fan

Go Blue.

Edited by Mdbasser

Anyone that says baseball is boring, should be watching that game... Also the drama of the end of the LA, SF season to see the division winner... Now they get to play each other... I just hope this series and the ones following will be as exciting... If my old ticker can take it...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

Deserving of home field ? That’s what you get for winning the schedule . Don’t seem right to me . The WC team can wear a ring and raise a banner ? You win the Division you get runs per game , WC teams have to play their A$$ off 

Edited by Hook I

Yea, the Dodgers are gonna have to play great baseball to repeat.... And a great SF baseball team stands in the way.. I hope it's a great series... But with the Dodgers on top, of course .;)....

Butch

Two things really stand out about the 2021 MLB season - how insanely good the Giants and Dodgers were, and how good the AL east was - 4 teams over .550 (Rays at .617!)  and either playoff bound or in contention for the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

Two things really stand out about the 2021 MLB season - how insanely good the Giants and Dodgers were, and how good the AL east was - 4 teams over .550 (Rays at .617!)  and either playoff bound or in contention for the playoffs.  

Yea, and SF and LA at .660 and .654!

Butch