Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 6 - Oct 13

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

I have been off the water for about a week and probably wont be able to fish for at least another week. The end of September and fist few days of October I had some fantastic fishing and beat my personal best bass. I was from grinding it out and taking multiple skunks between productive trips. This summer and fall have been discouraging but have also forced me to try and learn different techniques and learn. I am hoping with the dropping water temperature more waves of fish come in and stay for a little bit. It looks like November might be a high fish volume month at this rate. I plan on grinding this season out until it's time to take out the deer rifle. Good luck to thos grinding it out also. 

5 hours ago, clammer said:

I did a  [real search from shore yesterday ..

I had been checking out the end of the week in warwick  , still the huge schoole of pogies in A cove in warwick , nothing on them .

so yeaterday I started at the mouth of warwick cove & traveled north to every des that gace ame a view ......... Sam Gorden , Conimicutt , Gaspeee, Pawtuxet ,3 places  ,  edgewood,   J&W  and save the bay  , corliss , in the city , the bridge. the Hurracane dam ,  the lenght od India park .......... under the bridge  ............  gano ramp            / the area all around  theold red Bridge .. teh length od river road //////////said F/I by then ................... nO birds working , just a couple of guys 1/2 ass fishing  .............  the further north I went  / the more commarants         then  I just got really sad .. [age I guess]     not because of the lack of fish .............. it was all the changes I saw & drove pass or on ..      I miss how it use to be /but I guess  thats what happens with age ,       I miss the ability of just going .day or night .alone or with a partner  / weather didn,t really make a difference  if I wanted to go .

last weekend I was on the beaches .. Charlestown west , mmnice day tooooooooo many on C/B  & CBW ....same at wiini . went to taylor Swift beach   alot of traffic  .. not much fishing ,, the fe  eboats  were chasing what wasn,t there ........

plenty of SUV,s withouts stickers  .i seldom fish anyway .......But  if there is a bite .a see little or no respect from the boats or many surfcasters ...................... I know I,m just rambling  . just really down  .....  over the  60 years  .Ive lost 4 real good partners .last one 2 /3 years ago .......................................... People say .get another , even the wife of my last partner ....i tell them you don,t make friends at this age   >.you lose them .........and sometimes I go into what it takes to get a true partner /team ............................. I,ve learned over 60 years it has more  critiea  than  becoming married .

sorry for rant .....but I can,t get passed it in my mind today ,,

take care guys  .. alot of this up north  that if the don,t pass  outside  you,ll get another fix .

the real crazy thing is this all started  at  my boat at the dock  which is a block away ......sometimes I go days and not even check to see its there .

spending more time on SOL / e/b & some of the sites on Facebook  . getting rid of gear / have a son & 3 grandkids that when Ia sk them to go fishing or fun digging   they have asked me what they did wrong ???? >>>>>>>and I never forced them  or anything like that to go >,.,. 

Next life I,ll be a stone so I,ll no feelings ><>,

I know what you mean Mike. Scattered a good friend’s ashes just outside the harbor of refuge this afternoon. Nasty out there.

Tried for albies this am at a popular soco location. Action was pretty slow. Very few fish showing on top and on about a 15=20 min interval, someone would get a hit while blind casting. With that said, I was able to score one albie and drop a second one. Wind made for some sloppy conditions walking out on the said jetty. 

Actually had the same results on earlier this week at the same location (which had been my last trip before having to take a trip to VA Beach for my dad's service...which tomorrow will mark two weeks since we lost him). 

Fished out front on a popular beachy/rocky spot late Sat am/early aft..nasty East wind..lots of birds working just beyond casting range, couldn't tell what they were on..one micro striper for my efforts..went down the beach but wind and weed made it impossible to work a plug

19 hours ago, albacized said:

Tried for albies this am at a popular soco location. Action was pretty slow. 

Actually had the same results on earlier this week at the same location (which had been my last trip before having to take a trip to VA Beach for my dad's service...which tomorrow will mark two weeks since we lost him). 

So sorry about your Dad. 

20 hours ago, albacized said:

Tried for albies this am at a popular soco location. Action was pretty slow. Very few fish showing on top and on about a 15=20 min interval, someone would get a hit while blind casting. With that said, I was able to score one albie and drop a second one. Wind made for some sloppy conditions walking out on the said jetty. 

RIP. Cherish the memories. 

Tough one today. We ignored the bad reports and the ocean conditions and made the run down late last night.

We started at one outflow where we got knocked around by the surf, smothered in weeds, blinded by insanely bright head lamps and dodged plugs from the other jetty.

There were sporadic flurries of small fish but I got too frustrated and we left before I sent the walking lighthouse for a swim.

We ran over to another outflow hoping to find bigger fish and cleaner water. We found the surf and the crowd was even bigger.

Went to plan C which was take the fly rod back in the marsh. My son is just getting into saltwater fly fishing and he's taking to it quite nicely. 

Small stripers and plentiful shad gave him the practice he was looking for. 

Later in the morning was a bust. Dirty water, big surf and no birds or action. 

To top it off, I apparently picked up a screw in my tire which popped out when I was going 60 on route one. We ended up killing most of the day getting a tan while we waited for my tire to get patched.

Never got another fish.

IMG952021101195061117.jpg

Did some cruising and fishing up in bay. Birds and bait everywhere, not many of any fish. Didn’t catch and saw no one else. Fish really thinned out but not bait in this area. Came across several large schools of bunker, snagged a few and sent them back out without a touch. Thought they would at least get chomped.  Frustrating few hours before kids got bored “chasing birds”. 

There’s so much bait where I am, you can smell it, 100 ft from shore.

More birds than I care to count.

Predator fish, meh 

4 hours ago, foxfai said:

Did any one watch football? This looks like a football.

mmexport1634042364838.jpg

mmexport1634042382620.jpg

Lots of those around. Got at least a limit every time I went out.  Got a triple limit once. 

33 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Lots of those around. Got at least a limit every time I went out.  Got a triple limit once. 

I wish. Few spots that i went to only got 1-2 keepers per outing. Lots and lots of small. This was the only keeper yesterday.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

I wish. Few spots that i went to only got 1-2 keepers per outing. Lots and lots of small. This was the only keeper yesterday.

Use Whole green crab with another half green crab or whole green crab with 2 Asian crabs. If you only have Asian crabs, 4-6 Asian crabs at a time. The bigger the crab the better. Helps weed out the shorts