Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 6 - Oct 13

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

It was Fast and Furious for about ten minutes before the hardtail bite stopped.

We were the 1st and only boat on stations shortly after sunrise.

Right away we had a hook-up, this time they were not fussy, it's going to be easier this morning I thought.

They took an average size fly. I thought for a second, maybe they are off all this micro bait now. Not!

After that they played hide and seek the rest of the morning!

No bluefish or striper action this morning what so ever.

IMG_2673.JPG

Similar result for me.  I was there with you after checking harbor of refuge at sunrise, where there were a few scattered albies busting. Left your spot and scoured the shore down to quonnie.  Nothing but big schools of mackerel and the occasional tail swirl.  Then back to your spot before heading home.  I’d have jigged up some sea bass to have something to show for all the fuel I burned up, but I did that yesterday!  I’ve been out there 5 mornings a week for a month now with just a handful of really good days.  Not complaining though, given the incredible weather and calm seas this week.

8 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I'm wondering if the "boiling water" thing could have been those chub mackerel?

The boiling water we saw was pods of bunker just circling around with nothing harassing them and also could be snapper blues. 

I have never seen so many snappers, both out front and in the ponds....

I would think this is a good sign for the future, maybe there will be an upsurge in bluefish in the years to come ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, JfromRI said:

Similar result for me.  I was there with you after checking harbor of refuge at sunrise, where there were a few scattered albies busting. Left your spot and scoured the shore down to quonnie.  Nothing but big schools of mackerel and the occasional tail swirl.  Then back to your spot before heading home.  I’d have jigged up some sea bass to have something to show for all the fuel I burned up, but I did that yesterday!  I’ve been out there 5 mornings a week for a month now with just a handful of really good days.  Not complaining though, given the incredible weather and calm seas this week.

It has me completely baffled with the trends this fall.

Com'on Now ! This should be prime time with bait staging, fish starting to pod up to begin the migration.

There should be staging areas of acres of stripers fattening up on pond forage.

You couldn't ask for better physical conditions this morning. Strong tidal pull, two hours of incoming and than dumping all morning.

No bait to be found yet there are plenty of macks in certain locations. Not a striper or bluefish this morning.

It's a lousy game plan just to just fish ablies and put all your eggs in one basket.

Always nice to have a back-up plan for clients to have a nice day besides the good weather.

Sea bass just don't cut it !

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Was out today and had same experience as others.    After catching albies a couple days in a row with Wednesday seeing a lot of albies I thought Thursday and Friday were going to be great days.   Some people up to fish and I thought they hit it just right.    But Thursday and today were dead.   We fished from Weekapaug to the wall.   Caught some bluefish and a striper not too far from wall.    Found a pod or two of albies in one spot and fished them for 20-30 minutes.  Had one good shot at them but no hook ups.   That was it.  As mentioned by others lots of Chubb mackerel and snappers around.    Guys I was with don’t like to bottom fish so I missed out on two great days to bottom fish while waiting for any action.   I’m off the water for two weeks so I’m sure next week will be on fire.  

I totally agree that passing up a good striper blitz to chase sparsely scattered albies rarely makes sense (not that albie fishing produces rational behavior).  On Thursday, I stumbled across a pod of decent-size “sipping” stripers just east of Point Judith, which was another day when everyone was complaining about finicky fish due to abundance of bait.  I managed to get one on a 6” bunker fly, but it took effort.  Even with the glassy water, the swirls from these stripers were barely visible, which makes me wonder what’s below on windier days in these bait-filled waters.   Even the sea bass I got in 30’ of water off the SoCo beaches were spitting up whole peanut bunker.  But, back to that school of sipping stripers, the 27” fish had many “sea lice,” which I usually associate with fish coming in from offshore during the spring migration.  I’ve seen this a few times this fall , which I don’t recall being so common during the fall run.  Is anyone noticing this in their catches?

This fall has been disappointing for me. Granted I haven’t been out much though.  Last night I liked the conditions, NE wind with some nice white water.  Not even one hit.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished last night, napped for a bit and again this am through high tide for exactly 3 fish in the 18-20” range. Totally sucked. Or maybe its just me. I’ve been at it a long time, and places that used to consistently hold fish are just barren.
We all know the fishery is in trouble, but with a great moon cycle, clean water, and decent wind, with still no results i’m seriously considering being done. Gas, 1 1/2 hr ride, and no real reward, just doesn’t seem worth it to me anymore. Sorry, end of rant… :mad:

Edited by Mack26

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Fished last night, napped for a bit and again this am through high tide for exactly 3 fish in the 18-20” range. Totally sucked. Or maybe its just me. I’ve been at it a long time, and places that used to consistently hold fish are just barren.
We all know the fishery is in trouble, but with a great moon cycle, clean water, and decent wind, with still no results i’m seriously considering being done. Gas, 1 1/2 hr ride, and no real reward, just doesn’t seem worth it to me anymore. Sorry, end of rant… :mad:

Not just you!  RI not happening just yet or maybe not at all this year at all.  Cooler weather will tell.  Maybe Thanksgiving.

10 hours ago, JfromRI said:

But, back to that school of sipping stripers, the 27” fish had many “sea lice,” which I usually associate with fish coming in from offshore during the spring migration.  I’ve seen this a few times this fall , which I don’t recall being so common during the fall run.  Is anyone noticing this in their catches?

Yes, just today I saw fish with sea lice. Seems like we had a shot of 'fresh' fish moved up into the Taunton River. After a good morning bottom fishing in which my friend had a scup ripped off the hook by a good size fish, early afternoon I hit a different  spot on the river plugging on the a really ripping dropping tide. The new arrivals were small slot size, welcome addition to the resident schoolies which had been thinning out last couple of weeks. I had few anxious moments with only 20 lb fl leader, in fact one did rub me off on the oyster bed bottom.

Most fish taken on barbless 1/2 oz jig head with flap tail rubber, couple on jig/bass assassin straight tail rubber.

Super busy at a usually quiet spot this morning. Four idiots in a small one or two person boat beached their boat right on top of a hole that has been productive for me at a certain tide. Super loud and had their head lamp high beams on the entire time. Pretty aggravating. 

Been Blackfishing from shore since Wed Oct 6. Lots of 14-16" fish with an occasional 5#er. There has been more pods of Chubs than Albies. The Albies show up in small pods every now and again but out in the distance. The Chubs are the only ones coming in close. Lets just say, I havent even brought my Albie rob the last 2 times I've gone. Thats how infrequent the sightings are. Haven't seen any Bass/Blues either. The Pogie boat was out there for a couple of days. I remember last Oct running into massive schools of Pogies with no fish on them @ the mouth of the Sakonnet, so maybe they're around again.

I did a  [real search from shore yesterday ..

I had been checking out the end of the week in warwick  , still the huge schoole of pogies in A cove in warwick , nothing on them .

so yeaterday I started at the mouth of warwick cove & traveled north to every des that gace ame a view ......... Sam Gorden , Conimicutt , Gaspeee, Pawtuxet ,3 places  ,  edgewood,   J&W  and save the bay  , corliss , in the city , the bridge. the Hurracane dam ,  the lenght od India park .......... under the bridge  ............  gano ramp            / the area all around  theold red Bridge .. teh length od river road //////////said F/I by then ................... nO birds working , just a couple of guys 1/2 ass fishing  .............  the further north I went  / the more commarants         then  I just got really sad .. [age I guess]     not because of the lack of fish .............. it was all the changes I saw & drove pass or on ..      I miss how it use to be /but I guess  thats what happens with age ,       I miss the ability of just going .day or night .alone or with a partner  / weather didn,t really make a difference  if I wanted to go .

last weekend I was on the beaches .. Charlestown west , mmnice day tooooooooo many on C/B  & CBW ....same at wiini . went to taylor Swift beach   alot of traffic  .. not much fishing ,, the fe  eboats  were chasing what wasn,t there ........

plenty of SUV,s withouts stickers  .i seldom fish anyway .......But  if there is a bite .a see little or no respect from the boats or many surfcasters ...................... I know I,m just rambling  . just really down  .....  over the  60 years  .Ive lost 4 real good partners .last one 2 /3 years ago .......................................... People say .get another , even the wife of my last partner ....i tell them you don,t make friends at this age   >.you lose them .........and sometimes I go into what it takes to get a true partner /team ............................. I,ve learned over 60 years it has more  critiea  than  becoming married .

sorry for rant .....but I can,t get passed it in my mind today ,,

take care guys  .. alot of this up north  that if the don,t pass  outside  you,ll get another fix .

the real crazy thing is this all started  at  my boat at the dock  which is a block away ......sometimes I go days and not even check to see its there .

spending more time on SOL / e/b & some of the sites on Facebook  . getting rid of gear / have a son & 3 grandkids that when Ia sk them to go fishing or fun digging   they have asked me what they did wrong ???? >>>>>>>and I never forced them  or anything like that to go >,.,. 

Next life I,ll be a stone so I,ll no feelings ><>,