Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 6 - Oct 13

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Ok, guess I’ll share something pretty damn cool from this morning that might balance out some of the doom and gloom in this thread. 

I got out a little later than expected but still saw some bird action in my area and was glad that there were still some fish around. So while I’m fishing and scanning the water, just as I turned my head to look to my left, there’s a huge explosion right where I saw some birds a few minutes earlier. I never saw the fish. This was probably less than 150 - 200 yards off shore. The only thing I could think of was that it had to be a big bluefin blowing up on something. 

Left my spot to grab some food and make some gear changes. And sadly when I came back in the afternoon, saw less and less birds and activity going into the evening. Really was hoping I’d stick one of those albies! 

Wonder if I should stick with the same area I’ve been fishing for tomorrow and hope more fish come through or move to another area. Hmm! 

8 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

Ok, guess I’ll share something pretty damn cool from this morning that might balance out some of the doom and gloom in this thread. 

I got out a little later than expected but still saw some bird action in my area and was glad that there were still some fish around. So while I’m fishing and scanning the water, just as I turned my head to look to my left, there’s a huge explosion right where I saw some birds a few minutes earlier. I never saw the fish. This was probably less than 150 - 200 yards off shore. The only thing I could think of was that it had to be a big bluefin blowing up on something. 

Left my spot to grab some food and make some gear changes. And sadly when I came back in the afternoon, saw less and less birds and activity going into the evening. Really was hoping I’d stick one of those albies! 

Wonder if I should stick with the same area I’ve been fishing for tomorrow and hope more fish come through or move to another area. Hmm! 

That’s the age old dilemma in the fall.  Marry a spot and wait… or search.  

15 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

Or Salty the seal. :laugh:

Just now, bdowning said:

Or Salty the seal. :laugh:

That’s what I was also thinking. It looked more like a sea lion than a bluefin to tell the truth. But I hadn’t seen any sea lions in this area. And admittedly, it’s a lot more exciting thinking it could have been a bluefin than a sea lion!!! :) 

Ran into a good bass bite just before sunrise.

It sure looked promising. Lasted all but a few minutes and vanished.

Took one nice 26 inch striper and that was all.

We did have lots of albie sightings today with poor results.

The morning bite was weak with a boil here and there.

In the afternoon there was more fish in each pod, but they weren't biting either.

At least we had visuals. Totals for the day 1 albie, 3 stripers, 4 chub mackerel, a few sea bass.

We had good current, but it was flat calm, very little dynamics to excite the fish and mask our presents.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

We had good current, but it was flat calm, very little dynamics to excite the fish and mask our presents.

Same observation in MA waters.

13 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Until we drive over to the other side and get the plug back :p

True story....the look on their face is....well, red.

After a(nother) long season of not-really fishing, I took my son kayaking off a breachway this week.  Two days of bluebird weather and 4-ft tides.  Pretty much identical conditions both days: temp in the 70s, mostly sunny, surf around 1'.  Light winds (0-5kt)... um, let's call it SW.

First day (Wed) we got there a couple hours into the tide.  Bait was primarily bay anchovy with some scattered peanuts.  Albies breaking everywhere with some scattererd bass (maybe?) breaking surface, two or three thin clusters of birds working where the bass were.  Albies doing that "boiling water" thing, which is really cool to see up close.  I wasn't targeting the albies, but my son tried for a while.  The bass were spread very thinly and they disappeared after the first hour.  I had one hookup on a bucktail (probably small bass) and my son hooked something on a metal (he thinks it was an albie, I think it was a blue.  Does no harm to let him believe he was into an albie).  Nothing landed.  Fish were primarily in/around the outflow, all the way back to where the flow usually meets the shore.

Second day (Thu) we got there just as it turned.  We spotted some bay anchovy (some, not a huge amount) in the pond waiting to drop, and maybe a handful of peanuts.  We were out front maybe 20 minutes into the tide. No birds working but albies still doing the boiling-water thing, but much farther out. We cast and trolled around the area for 2-3 hours, but the only action we ever saw was the albies way out the rip.  There were more boats around, bigger and they were moving around a lot more so I told my son to avoid going near them.  No hookups, nothing landed.  The only visible action was the albies, and they were way out (.5 - 1km)

0 for 2 at this point.  At this point it was just a couple of perfect days spending time with my son and kayaking.  I'll take it.  

New phenomena spotted: solo fishermen in small boats or kayaks talking to themselves.  It took me a while to figure out WTF: bloggers.  I figured it out from the (sometimes) multiple cameras set up on their craft.  I resisted the temptation to shout obscenities in their background.

55 mins ago, rolm said:

After a(nother) long season of not-really fishing, I took my son kayaking off a breachway this week.  Two days of bluebird weather and 4-ft tides.  Pretty much identical conditions both days: temp in the 70s, mostly sunny, surf around 1'.  Light winds (0-5kt)... um, let's call it SW.

First day (Wed) we got there a couple hours into the tide.  Bait was primarily bay anchovy with some scattered peanuts.  Albies breaking everywhere with some scattererd bass (maybe?) breaking surface, two or three thin clusters of birds working where the bass were.  Albies doing that "boiling water" thing, which is really cool to see up close.  I wasn't targeting the albies, but my son tried for a while.  The bass were spread very thinly and they disappeared after the first hour.  I had one hookup on a bucktail (probably small bass) and my son hooked something on a metal (he thinks it was an albie, I think it was a blue.  Does no harm to let him believe he was into an albie).  Nothing landed.  Fish were primarily in/around the outflow, all the way back to where the flow usually meets the shore.

Second day (Thu) we got there just as it turned.  We spotted some bay anchovy (some, not a huge amount) in the pond waiting to drop, and maybe a handful of peanuts.  We were out front maybe 20 minutes into the tide. No birds working but albies still doing the boiling-water thing, but much farther out. We cast and trolled around the area for 2-3 hours, but the only action we ever saw was the albies way out the rip.  There were more boats around, bigger and they were moving around a lot more so I told my son to avoid going near them.  No hookups, nothing landed.  The only visible action was the albies, and they were way out (.5 - 1km)

0 for 2 at this point.  At this point it was just a couple of perfect days spending time with my son and kayaking.  I'll take it.  

New phenomena spotted: solo fishermen in small boats or kayaks talking to themselves.  It took me a while to figure out WTF: bloggers.  I figured it out from the (sometimes) multiple cameras set up on their craft.  I resisted the temptation to shout obscenities in their background.

I'm wondering if the "boiling water" thing could have been those chub mackerel?

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I'm wondering if the "boiling water" thing could have been those chub mackerel?

Hm, maybe.  I've never caught one around that, but I've seen albie fishermen flailing away at this kind of action.  

*edit* reviewing youtube, comparing videos for albie blitzing and chub mackerel blitzing: it did look more like mackerel (that bzzz kind of boiling water, not really any fish visible) compared to kick-splash albie thing with porpoising fish visible.  I always thought they were kinda rare around here, now I think I was wrong. Never seen this in the bay, only out front. 

Edited by rolm
update

16 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Until we drive over to the other side and get the plug back :p

It's even more fun when someone swims it

20 hours ago, mikez2 said:

My favorite thing is the guy on the other side of the channel that snags somebody’s line and cuts off their plug and keeps it.

That really adds to the excitement. :)

Or when a boat guns through

and "It's boat ON" as your drag starts peeling. :(

Fished Soco yesterday afternoon into evening. Went to go out on the sand trail and a guy in a awd Lincoln decided to try his luck and high and centered about 50 yards down way before the beach pull of. Took mine and my friends rescue trax and 4 guys pushing to get it up and out. A disgruntled fisherman from CT was mad enough to call the cops, can’t blame him. 

The fishing was disappointing. Nothing running the beach. The rocks were crowded on the east side after dark. Maybe 8-10 guys. Couldn’t believe it on a weeknight but I guess that’s just the way it is. 

It was Fast and Furious for about ten minutes before the hardtail bite stopped.

We were the 1st and only boat on stations shortly after sunrise.

Right away we had a hook-up, this time they were not fussy, it's going to be easier this morning I thought.

They took an average size fly. I thought for a second, maybe they are off all this micro bait now. Not!

After that they played hide and seek the rest of the morning!

No bluefish or striper action this morning what so ever.

IMG_2673.JPG