Richard_the_Aughth

trout stocking

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Just now, Richard_the_Aughth said:

they usually dont update for a week or two after they stocked the location.

If JP is like other eastern MA trout ponds I fish, once word gets out its been stocked, the power bait crowd quickly thins out the truck bows.

2 mins ago, zak-striper said:

If JP is like other eastern MA trout ponds I fish, once word gets out its been stocked, the power bait crowd quickly thins out the truck bows.

Ha! yea thats exactly why I was hoping to get ahead of the crowd...

I guess I am shooting myself in the foot by even asking here though

On 10/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, zak-striper said:

Stocked trout eat other stuff besides power bait?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Fishingboston said:

Stocked trout eat other stuff besides power bait?

Yeah!  :)

20200401_185615.jpg.c1c518b21468ed58addf2fb04d7f2c6f.jpg

20200320_181046.jpg.6de371a03d65b8f15913870247812f69.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

20 mins ago, Fishingboston said:

Good to know. I've never had look with the kastmasters

1/8, 1/4 & 1/2 oz in gold or blue/silver usually work.

Don't forget, the better trout ponds are loaded with holdovers. These warm Oct days get them feeding. 

It's a myth that the powerbait crowd catch all the stockies. 

What really happens is the fish spread out, get educated and get difficult to catch. That can make it seem like the fish are all gone.

When you see all the trout rising to an Oct midge hatch,  you realize there's plenty fish left.

10 mins ago, mikez2 said:

It's a myth that the powerbait crowd catch all the stockies. 

I wouldn't call it a "myth". A couple of trout ponds near me get swarmed the day of or day after stocking with powerbait guys. The truck 'bows tend to hang close to their release point for a day or two while they try to figure out what the eff just happened. Power bait guys swarm the stocking locations and pick off a significant portion of the newly released fish. Yeah many of the fish swim around and disperse, some of those become the bigger holdovers.

7 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I wouldn't call it a "myth". A couple of trout ponds near me get swarmed the day of or day after stocking with powerbait guys. The truck 'bows tend to hang close to their release point for a day or two while they try to figure out what the eff just happened. Power bait guys swarm the stocking locations and pick off a significant portion of the newly released fish. Yeah many of the fish swim around and disperse, some of those become the bigger holdovers.

Really I just mean the conventional wisdom that ALL the fish are gone. I think many people underestimate how many holdovers there are. Of course not all ponds are suitable to hold over trout long term, but the good ones hold more than most people think.