Mark L

Cracks in epoxy and paint

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Picked a needle online a few weeks back, used it a few times. I noticed after it’s last outing the paint and epoxy cracked. I few ideas why it did it but I’m not a builder so I’m not sure. I was planning on putting a few coats of slow cure epoxy I have on it. What are the chances that it will crack again? I’m thinking most likely it will but it’s a nice plug and I’m just trying to keep the color intact until a blue puts it signature on it. Any info would help and thanks. 

9 hours ago, Mark L said:

Picked a needle online a few weeks back, used it a few times. I noticed after it’s last outing the paint and epoxy cracked. I few ideas why it did it but I’m not a builder so I’m not sure. I was planning on putting a few coats of slow cure epoxy I have on it. What are the chances that it will crack again? I’m thinking most likely it will but it’s a nice plug and I’m just trying to keep the color intact until a blue puts it signature on it. Any info would help and thanks. 

Pic would help but sounds like a sealer issue. Wood took on water and swelled. Post a  pic otherwise hard to say.

30 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

Pic would help but sounds like a sealer issue. Wood took on water and swelled. Post a  pic otherwise hard to say.

I take one when I get home today. Thanks

13 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

They are hairline but they are there and more of them. This was the easiest to get a pic of. 
6E426A61-3C8C-4AED-9BBF-6966F2BF4FC4.jpeg.9847221f88c2c38ed9ed6ba8922fa2f7.jpeg

Those linear splits lead me to believe that my suspicions were correct. I made a bunch of plugs years back that I did not seal well and they had similar splitting problems. Hard to fix that. You could remove the thru wire and use epoxy to seal the interior then rewire and clear the exterior. Its probably more work than you want to deal with if you aren't a builder. Maybe the builder will replace it. They should.

14 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

This

15 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

Those linear splits lead me to believe that my suspicions were correct. I made a bunch of plugs years back that I did not seal well and they had similar splitting problems. Hard to fix that. You could remove the thru wire and use epoxy to seal the interior then rewire and clear the exterior. Its probably more work than you want to deal with if you aren't a builder. Maybe the builder will replace it. They should.

Sounds like I’m better off just using it as is. Thank you the info. 

32 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Ill repaint and seal it for you if u want

That is a very generous offer, I might have to take you up on that. I’ll let you know thank you. 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:08 PM, Mark L said:

That is a very generous offer, I might have to take you up on that. I’ll let you know thank you. 

Very nice of Bassmaster to offer that, I was going to offer the same before I read his comment.  Not sure how close you are to me in CT to me.  He will paint them up very nice for you.

23 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

I don't know. Plugs going to Bassmaster usually don't have a round trip ticket:laugh:

Hahaha I trust him if not I’m sure he will give it a good home. 

Nice plug, i woulda fished it till it fell apart, im turning it on my turner epoxy sealing atm.

I hope it stays warm so i csn paint it....