LIsurfguy36

Bailess line snap issue

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I bought a Penn spinfisher VI 4500 bailess. This is my first bailess reel so I’m getting used to it but I’ve experienced this issue where every now and then (at least once an outing) where during my cast the line will accidentally snag the roller and snap my line (30lb braid) before the lure/jig even hits the water. I’ve lost a couple of jigs like this already and I’m wondering if it’s a common issue with this model or if perhaps I’m doing something wrong during the cast? Other than that this reel performs beautifully when hooked up. This happen to anyone else before/anyone have any tips to help reduce this occurring again?  

yup. spent a long time trying to figure it out. Someone finally suggested keeping the handle around the 4-430 position when going to cast and that fixed the problem for me. Tried all the grease packing etc. etc. The reel position was the only thing that consistently fixed the problem. I was about to relegate that reel, even though I really liked it. The rotor spinning on the back cast was really pissing me off.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, runnsfromcops said:

yup. spent a long time trying to figure it out. Someone finally suggested keeping the handle around the 4-430 position when going to cast and that fixed the problem for me. Tried all the grease packing etc. etc. The reel position was the only thing that consistently fixed the problem. I was about to relegate that reel, even though I really liked it. The rotor spinning on the back cast was really pissing me off.

Ya I think that’s what’s happening with me. Without the line on the roller, that thing spins if I Breathe on it. I think it’s moving on my forward cast and grabbing the line. Thanks for the advice I’ll try that 

Edited by LIsurfguy36

19 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Grab line with finger then reel until spool is fully extended up and handle is pointed down. This will solve your issue.

This^
This worked on all my bail less spinfishers.
Do this on my VS’s even though the flyer  doesn’t move on a cast.

43 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Grab line with finger then reel until spool is fully extended up and handle is pointed down. This will solve your issue.

Keep the handle down so it has less chance of cranking (thus spinning the rotor) during the cast right?

Just now, LIsurfguy36 said:

Keep the handle down so it has less chance of cranking (thus spinning the rotor) during the cast right?

Place handle in 6 o’clock position so handle won’t spin on the cast

Some reels come with shims that allow you to time the reel so the bail or lack thereof is in certain position when the handle is also in a certain position  

I have the same reel and I’ll echo what others have already said—handle at 6 o’clock and spool fully extended. I do it out of habit from Penn Z reels but because of the gearing (same on a VS) the spool should be fully extended with the handle at 6 if everything is shimmed correctly. Might not be completely necessary with newer reels (different rotor design) but it doesn’t hurt to try and clear the spool from the line roller as much as possible.

I bought the same reel about 2 years ago, and had the same problem.

So much for the "no lost lures due to premature bail closing" argument in favor of bail-less reels.

I initially hit on the "handle at bottom of travel while casting" solution described above. 

Since then I filled the case with super lube grease and that seems to have resolved the issue for me. 

I fish this reel a lot and love it now that the auto-rotation while casting has been damped a bit.

I don't notice any increased retrieve effort, so no problem there.

As I'm debating trying bail-less, a question:

With the mention of handle orientation in terms of clock position, what is the rod position? Horizontal/parallel to the ground, extended forward, i would assume?

A dumb question is the one not asked.

I've experienced similar issues with bail less reels. Got them right with the same suggestions above but I ended up going back to bailed with the friction ramps removed. Close the bail by hand and haven't had a lure snap off again. 

Just now, GoneCoastal said:

I've experienced similar issues with bail less reels. Got them right with the same suggestions above but I ended up going back to bailed with the friction ramps removed. Close the bail by hand and haven't had a lure snap off again. 

With the rod horizontal to the ground or water, reel handle should be at the bottom of the clock closet to your feet with spool fully extended. 

Had a hard time transitioning to a bailess reel.  Had fished with a bail for so long.  Like everything else it just takes time.  After 5-6 outings it felt natural.  Having the roller turned to to opposite side of where your finger is on line while casting also helps.