The 2 Week Fisher

Rod Recommendations? Don’t wanna make the same mistake twice

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never used a Rockaway but felt nice in store.  TFO makes a nice lighter surf rod.  As far as your MH Avid, I think your mistake was the "MH".  Go M.

Edited by Skunkoff

Think I’ve decided I don’t need something rated up to 5oz because I already have 4 rods rated for that. Keep seeing people rave about the ODM DNA. Pretty sure that’s what I’m going to go with in the 9ft. 

For throwing metal, get a 9'6 or 10' black hole suzuki. Soft plastics, mirrolures, and top water any 7-7'6 rod rated up to an ounce will suffice for any fish your going to run into down there

On 10/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, Popasilov said:

Take a look at the Okuma Rockaway HD rods.

Yeah, I second that. I have two of the regular 12' rockaways, the 3/4-3 and the 1-4 oz verisons. I also have the 8'6 1/4-5/8 rockaway sp surf for ocean fluking and back bay fishing. I can't comment on the hd verisons, but they shouldn't be far off.

Edited by ORourke

53 mins ago, ORourke said:

I can't comment on the hd verisons, but they shouldn't be far off.

Rockaway Surf HD version is (in my opinion) more for bait fishing than for plugging.

12' HD version is rated 6 - 16 oz

11' HD is rated 3 - 8 oz.

That is way above 3/4 to 3 or 1 to 4 oz for regular Rockaway

34 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Rockaway Surf HD version is (in my opinion) more for bait fishing than for plugging.

12' HD version is rated 6 - 16 oz

11' HD is rated 3 - 8 oz.

That is way above 3/4 to 3 or 1 to 4 oz for regular Rockaway

Yeah, I plug fish with mine. Imo, they are great with bucktails and avas, but as for build quality, sensitivity, responsiveness and castability shouldnt be far off.

I have the Okuma Rockaway HD 12' -16oz  and a Okuma Rockaway 11' - 2oz rating. The Rockaway HD is a new series that came out recently.  It resembles the Daiwa Team Daiwa 12' also rated up to 16oz  70/30 split which I also have.  These are the lightest rods that are rated to casting 16oz but I doubt they are for lure casting also.

I would guess based on what the Cedros CSX guides look like that they are similar to the Daiwa Coastal SP Surf rods.

I had two Okuma Cedros CSX MH 9ft and 11ft. Both are great rods especially for large pieces on jetty and canal (very robust and never breaks) but the biggest advantage to me was 50/50 split. I got bored and sold them both which was a mistake. I believed that 30/70 split will cast better and give better feeling. Now I got St. Croix Mojo M 10ft and Tsunami Saltx 10ft M. Both are very good rods a little better for beach fishing (plugs and spoons) due to more flexible tip but transportation is less convenient. Both are much more expensive. Earlier I used two rubber stripes to put both parts of the CSX together and the whole setup could fit into my trunk. The line could stay on the rod. Whenever I went fishing, I could assemble my set-up literally in a minute. Now I transport each part separately, the short butt goes into trunk and the other part goes inside the car which makes ride for passengers less comfy. As a consequence I always reel-in the whole line which again takes more time when I assemble it. Now I placed the order with one of the tackle shops for CSX and they said it is going to be a long lead time. In the meantime I tried Penn Prevail II 10ft MH (snapped),  St. Croix Triumph 9ft MH (did not like it), two Lamiglas Insane 10ft M and MH (snapped one and broke reel seat of the other one). None of these will compare to CSX. 
I also have Okuma Rockaway 9ft and 10ft. Good rods and 9ft I frequently use as my light setup with Penn Slammer 4500 for fluke and blackfish. But these rod are much lighter and will not handle big catch on a jetty or canal. 

Edited by occasional_surfcaster
adding information

7 mins ago, osmalones said:

I second that ODM DNA is great. Light, strong, and sensitive.  

I actually ended up with the 9’ ODM DNA. Love the way it feels and really looking forward to using it. 

16 hours ago, The 2 Week Fisher said:

I actually ended up with the 9’ ODM DNA. Love the way it feels and really looking forward to using it. 

Good choice. I have the 9 foot too paired with a new gossa 6K. It casts light lures well, eels well, and heavier lures well. I love the grips on the rod and it really doesn’t tire you out casting all night. 

16 hours ago, The 2 Week Fisher said:

Your going to love it. I love the one I bought. Now it's my ODM and Star rods for my first choice.