The 2 Week Fisher

Rod Recommendations? Don’t wanna make the same mistake twice

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

So I currently have 3 Okuma Cedros CSX surf rods. Two 10’ and one 11’. I know they don’t get a ton of love or recognition, but I love them. Love the way they feel, cast, etc. and lifetime warranty is great. I pretty much just use cut bait or shrimp in the Myrtle Beach area. However, I wanted to buy another rod to either use for Cut bait OR Toss a spoon or something when I’m bored. I love the Okuma’s, but they discontinued them. I made the mistake of purchasing a St Croix Avid Surf  9’6 MH without seeing it in person, and it’s just way too beefy for me. I love that the Okuma is a little softer and more sensitive (insert necessary pun) you can actually feel what you’re fighting and know when something is biting. Is there something out there that may be similar to what I have? If anyone is familiar with the okuma cedros CSX that would be a bonus. Looking for something preferably under, but no longer than 10’ and a lure weight of up to 4 or 5 oz. Any recommendations? 

I just bought an ODM, DNA rod. I have the 9' medium /medium light. I bought it for casting Eels. But I realy like the DNA series rods , It cast great, and has a lot of backbone, mines 1-3.5 oz. I think they have a 10' model thats 1-5oz.

or somewhere around that.They are a nice build with Fuji components. There mid priced. So far I like it better than my St Croix rods.

21 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Take a look at the Okuma Rockaway HD rods.

I did, but they just don’t seem to be the same type of quality or build unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I just bought an ODM, DNA rod. I have the 9' medium /medium light. I bought it for casting Eels. But I realy like the DNA series rods , It cast great, and has a lot of backbone, mines 1-3.5 oz. I think they have a 10' model thats 1-5oz.

or somewhere around that.They are a nice build with Fuji components. There mid priced. So far I like it better than my St Croix rods.

Thanks! I’ll have to check them out.

Okuma still makes the Cedros CSX. they have a 10' that's rated 2-5.

I just got a replacement tip piece for my 10' 3-8 chunking rod from them.

CSX-S-1002MH 7-1/4" A 20~50 LBS 2~5 7 + TIP 2-PCS 19" 10' 0" MH MF 11.1 $159.99

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

^^ Dna rods are awesome for the money! 

8 hours ago, hobobob said:

No offense,  but 9ft rod can throw 5oz  comfortably is a broom.  Go visit a rod dealer or maker.

True, Other than for Eels ,I use either a 10' tp 11' rods for soaking bait and chunking. I use 8' and 9' for whiting, snapper blues any fish out to 30yds or closer. But the DNA series has the size rods and oz your looking for.

3 hours ago, Rob A said:

Never tried Rockaway rods but ODM DNA rods are great.

I never said they are not.

But for me, throwing lures in 0.5 to 1.5 oz range Rockaway feels much better.

I have two tica rods a 7' 1/2 to 2 oz rating with a 2500 sized reel and an 8' with a 1/2 to 2 oz rating and a 3500 sized reel.

I use the 7' surge for light jigs and the 8' graphite for 2 and 3 oz tins and gotchas, throwing a 4 to 5 oz lure is useless here unless you are shark fishing which is illegal in Horry County.

On the rare occasion I go into Georgetown County and want to throw something a bit heavier I fish a conventional set up...such as for reds or drums to the south of Myrtle. 

I got rid of my heavier surf set ups a few years ago when I realized MB was not a fishing mecca unless you have a boat, and the lighter spinners account for 90% of my fishing here. 

I did keep two older cabelas 8' rods with Penn 209s for the occasional pier trip. 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:39 PM, The 2 Week Fisher said:

So I currently have 3 Okuma Cedros CSX surf rods. Two 10’ and one 11’. I know they don’t get a ton of love or recognition, but I love them. Love the way they feel, cast, etc. and lifetime warranty is great. I pretty much just use cut bait or shrimp in the Myrtle Beach area. However, I wanted to buy another rod to either use for Cut bait OR Toss a spoon or something when I’m bored. I love the Okuma’s, but they discontinued them. I made the mistake of purchasing a St Croix Avid Surf  9’6 MH without seeing it in person, and it’s just way too beefy for me. I love that the Okuma is a little softer and more sensitive (insert necessary pun) you can actually feel what you’re fighting and know when something is biting. Is there something out there that may be similar to what I have? If anyone is familiar with the okuma cedros CSX that would be a bonus. Looking for something preferably under, but no longer than 10’ and a lure weight of up to 4 or 5 oz. Any recommendations? 

I’m not a fan of the Avid, way too fast for my taste. Maybe the 10’ GSB would be to your liking, there’s a model from 2-5 oz. It’s very moderate if that is what you’re looking for.