onthefly

Keel guard needed?

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just picked up 2021 kaku whahoo 12.5 will be fishing rivers 1/2 of time lake and maybe estuary the rest. I just watched Chad Hoover drag a kayak 15 miles behind his truck and no holes were made so question is do I really need keel guards? If so what are guys using?

Edited by onthefly

If you’re dragging it over wet grass then no, if you’re dragging over wet rounded river rocks then probably not, if you’re dragging over rough, oyster covered volcanic rock then probably yes … if money or common sense isn’t an issue then by all means dragging behind a truck for 15 miles sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Good luck

Yeah that was a test from an expert with a bonafide prototype that he had to show how tuff they are. I would be using a cart and of course  proper care and common sense.

11 hours ago, onthefly said:

Just picked up 2021 kaku whahoo 12.5 will be fishing rivers 1/2 of time lake and maybe estuary the rest. I just watched Chad Hoover drag a kayak 15 miles behind his truck and no holes were made so question is do I really need keel guards? If so what are guys using?

Depends.  A keel guard will reduce damage and prolong life of plastic.  You can purchase a keel guard (BERLEYPRO BUMPER BRO KEEL GUARD) or make your own.

I make my own and the guard takes the brunt of abuse from boat ramps, sand and gravel recoveries.  Search "DIY Kayak Keel guard"

I replace mine about every six months and if fishing pylons, I will attach a garage door weather strip along the sides to avoid the scrapes and scratches.  

I have a keel guard for my outback, its only on the front 12 inches of my bow. Don't wanna scratch it when I come back to the launch. I use a cart and don't drag my kayak anywhere if I don't have to. It does not go the length of the kayak

I made mine out of PVC and used a torch to heat it up, then I added in 3M tape to secure it. Spray painted it to match kayak and its been great. End of season I buy a tube of JB weld putty and I add it to build up the PVC where its been worn down or damaged from me coming in hot to the launch.

90% of the time I roll my boat into and out of the water, don't even get sand on it. And I never drag it. Obviously that doesn't work if you're launching out front, or use a scupper cart (which you shouldn't anyway). I admit I was a bit harder on my PE boats.

22 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

I have a keel guard for my outback, its only on the front 12 inches of my bow. Don't wanna scratch it when I come back to the launch. I use a cart and don't drag my kayak anywhere if I don't have to. It does not go the length of the kayak

I made mine out of PVC and used a torch to heat it up, then I added in 3M tape to secure it. Spray painted it to match kayak and its been great. End of season I buy a tube of JB weld putty and I add it to build up the PVC where its been worn down or damaged from me coming in hot to the launch.

Did the exact same, except I use a heat gun to shape the PVC.  They last about 6 months of hard use and concrete ramp recoveries.   When I unload from the bed of the truck, the bow (nose) goes on the ground and I have to lift the rear and swing it around which places all the weight on the point of contact which is why the guard gets worn down.  I painted the first iteration, but don't anymore.

Easy preventive measure and my bow (nose keel area) looks like new

Thx I'm not going to use one. I picked up  another whahoo kayak today for my son used rental that the outfitter used since 2018. The keel and bottom still looked pretty good and this kayak was used about 50 times a year in the Susquehanna river and it held up well. Plan on maybe making 10 trips a year.

Sooooo.......

Apparently, I don't quite understand how you guys launch or recover!  When I launch, I pick up the bow and roll the yak into the water until its in knee deep water.  Then I remove and stow the wheels.  No need to drag it.  When I recover, I exit the yak in knee deep water and reverse the process.  Put the wheels in, grab the bow strap and exit the water.

Sounds like some of you come in like you are storming the beach at Normandy.

My only concern was running  rocky river. Yeah I would not drag it down a ramp purposely. Just pick it up an lay in water. I will be using a trailer also even easier

10 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Sooooo.......

Apparently, I don't quite understand how you guys launch or recover!  When I launch, I pick up the bow and roll the yak into the water until its in knee deep water.  Then I remove and stow the wheels.  No need to drag it.  When I recover, I exit the yak in knee deep water and reverse the process.  Put the wheels in, grab the bow strap and exit the water.

Sounds like some of you come in like you are storming the beach at Normandy.

2-3’ shore break at 6-10s isn’t really conducive to mucking about with wheels …

10 hours ago, Africaster said:

2-3’ shore break at 6-10s isn’t really conducive to mucking about with wheels …

True, but for the average guy, the conditions you describe are few and far between.  There are not many who launch in those conditions on a regular basis