olvart

Question for fishing tackle industry insiders/reps

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

With all the cargo containers stacked up on the coasts my question is how many reels could Daiwa,Shimano etc ship in a 747- 400  cargo plane and what would it add to cost?
How many sales are being lost while product is stuck in a system that no longer works?

If I can buy a reel from Jpn shipped fedex,ups,japan post for basically $20 shipping maybe it’s time for them look at alternatives.

Buying season is right around the corner an all i see is “out of stock”
Asking shipwreck,scoobie,cary greene,Penn fishing,etc?

I’m no insider but I listened to a podcast regarding the lack of stock a few weeks back. Basically they were saying it isn’t just a shipping thing but a manufacturing thing as well.

i guees alot of the stuff is outsourced to manufacturing facilities that make more stuff then just fishing equipment, the industry paniced at the start of COVID and cancelled their production, then COVID turned fishing into a banger which the industry wasn’r prepared for. When they pulled thier production they also “lost thier place in line” leading to not only shipping delays but manufacturing delays as well and they’re still playing catch up.

the source was the founder of monsterbass, they are kind of like mystery tackle box

43 mins ago, Callmefish said:

guees alot of the stuff is outsourced to manufacturing facilities that make more stuff then just fishing

I get that with Pure Fishing,maybe even Van Staal,Visser,etc.

But, I always thought the big 2,Shimano and Daiwa made their reels in house.

Made there own gears,frames etc. Maybe I am wrong ?

Aside from bearings or tiny parts I mean.

1 hour ago, olvart said:

That is correct.

My local shop is chum chum with some of the EU Shimano tops, said that their factories were shutdown to certain capacities (and some still are).

Not to mention Shimano cares more about cycling sales than fishing anyways....

Recently, there have been power outages for 2/3 of China with their moving toward carbon neutrality in the future.  If that is right, things will get worse and we will find out what parts are really from China with fishing.

7 hours ago, olvart said:

I’m pretty sure my saragosa sw-a is made in korea, in fact I don’t think shimanos start gettingnmade in japan until you reach the twin power. That being said it can still be made in house since shimano is an international company with locations in japan, malaysa, korea, singapore, and china.  The house is just very large. For all I know my saragosa could have been made at the doyo factory like 75% of all the other reels in the industry.

Lot of manufacturing delays are due to the acquisition of raw materials which I guarantee Daiwa or Shimano don't mine or refine on their own. That is the issue effecting most industries right now. 

Remember if even one small outsourced plastic shim is not available, the reel cannot be built.  That simple.

I warned everyone in the assbaby this spring.

Its even worse than I thought.  If you want it and its available buy it.  

7 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Remember if even one small outsourced plastic shim is not available, the reel cannot be built.  That simple.

You might need to clarify what the "assbaby" is out here.  :laugh:

47 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Thanks for responding but I was referring to all the product that is stuck in containers off our coasts.

Not talking about production but delivery problems.:howdy:

13 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I’m pretty sure my saragosa sw-a is made in korea, in fact . . . 

It'll be made in Malaysia (but i dunno if this makes a difference). Daiwa has factories more scattered - China, Vietnam, Thailand & Japan. 

56 mins ago, olvart said:

Thanks for responding but I was referring to all the product that is stuck in containers off our coasts.

Not talking about production but delivery problems.:howdy:

I think it would be tough to land a plane on a cargo ship filled with cargos no?  :)