Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of pics of him and the crew from ptwn given to me by a member of the townsend family. about a dozen are displayed on the upper walls at riverview bait and tackle in s. yarmouth all black&whites.great history.kissels,arnold lane,kay and rosa,etc etc.he's got the pipe in his mouth and the head down looking in the camera.

2 hours ago, unskunk said:

who's frank woolner?

NuSkunk  you must be younger than 60ish or did not spend time in Worcester country or throw a plug in the cape surf early 50 or 60  please do yourself a refreshing favor and go online or YouTube  read about frank woolner and his stories  You will love what you read. 

8 mins ago, stifftip said:

NuSkunk  you must be younger than 60ish or did not spend time in Worcester country or throw a plug in the cape surf early 50 or 60  please do yourself a refreshing favor and go online or YouTube  read about frank woolner and his stories  You will love what you read. 

Frank's book on striper fishing is a classic.  The book is really dated, but the photos are amazing, not to mention Frank was an excellent writer. Might be tough to find.

About 1968-70 ish Frank and brother had a 1/2 hr Sunday morning sporting show on channel 27 state mutual broadcasting  in Worcester called outdoor with the woolner brothers. His show and some guess were Ted Williams  , Curt Gowdy ,maybe the flying fisherman  Gadabout Gadders  or Paul kukonen  and a lot more 8mm  hunting’s and fishing film and books  but you have to be a old true Worcester warrior too   To understand 

29 mins ago, stifftip said:

About 1968-70 ish Frank and brother had a 1/2 hr Sunday morning sporting show on channel 27 state mutual broadcasting  in Worcester called outdoor with the woolner brothers. His show and some guess were Ted Williams  , Curt Gowdy ,maybe the flying fisherman  Gadabout Gadders  or Paul kukonen  and a lot more 8mm  hunting’s and fishing film and books  but you have to be a old true Worcester warrior too   To understand 

I watched that show every night it was on.   Some really cool topics. Some not so cool, like a 15 minute segment on snow fleas.  Or ice fishing for pickerel on Eddy's Pond.  Or cleaning yellow perch. But you're right,  you had to be from the Kingdom to understand.

Peter, nice talking with you the other night and listening to your accounts of some real good days on the outer beach . I forgot to mention why I called, so I will do it here. Frank Woolner was a great writer as many here have posted, He helped to write with Henry Lyman the complete book of Striped Bass Fishing. A book of many surf secrets at that time. Frank was also Editor of the Saltwater Sportsman and Henry Lyman was the Publisher and both if I recall correctly,  both shared ownership of the Sportsman. which was published once month from High Street in Boston. I had read many accounts from there beginning days of fishing for striped bass, especially inside the Cape Cod Canal . It was only after I was honorably discharged from the U>S>Navy in 1961 that I bumped in to Frank one evening at a low tide around  carson beach  in Southy . I found at that time after they put the magazine to bed he would go fishing and thus began some interesting evenings . We both had fresh water gear, myself was a 6 foot Mitchel Rod I had purchased in France and a Mitchel 300 one spool with 10 pound and the other with 15 test mono. I know that he had something similar and be both used small atoms swimming plugs and also the PfluegerBallerina and something close to NILS Master later. WE would often sit as he smoked his pipe and I with a cigarette, before heading out . It was all fishing in the dark , he would go to the left and I would go to the right . We would walk out as far as we could before be started to make a cast. A small light and hand gaff and the fish would be all you would see before the fish was tied to the rope we both had around our waist . Frank out fished  me most times in numbers we would meet , but I was still able to put one larger fish on the stringer . To think that we were able to sub-do fish up to 25 pounds on our light gear over time made the trips even better on those nights when it was not uncommon to not be able to stop a fish of size stripping the spool on occasion. I suspect those fish were blue fish not bass however. Having later on taking two blue fish at Moon Island on the same gear during the low daylight hours and having a chance to actually see one of the reasons I preferred to go after them over the bass. Frank had a place at the foothills of blue mountain in Milton , If my recollection is correct that he invited me to see, however I never made it . Peter the story from the past seem to be more in tune to the one you told me with your friend and his 50 on fresh water gear. Peace and Prayers        

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

I watched that show every night it was on.   Some really cool topics. Some not so cool, like a 15 minute segment on snow fleas.  Or ice fishing for pickerel on Eddy's Pond.  Or cleaning yellow perch. But you're right,  you had to be from the Kingdom to understand.

AMEN to That!!!

I've got to dig out my Woolner book and re-read it. 

It was the first striper book I ever read, at a time when there really weren't any other striper books to read.

Damn, I sure hope I didn't lend it or give it away.