Cape Cod Canal report

Rate this topic

codfish

That's good. I often wonder how much fishing stuff is stuck in the canal. Especially lead. 

I've found a couple decent lures over the years but I don't go out of my way to look for them. They just happened to catch my eye. 

20 mins ago, JimKu said:

That's good. I often wonder how much fishing stuff is stuck in the canal. Especially lead. 

I've found a couple decent lures over the years but I don't go out of my way to look for them. They just happened to catch my eye. 

My son makes it a habit to find at at least a few plugs everywhere we go. He's 15 now but he's been doing since he was little. He climbs down into the nasty crevasses in the jetty rocks with the rats and dead sea robins and climbs out with $25.00 plugs. Often practically new.

I've seen him climb trees for freshwater plugs many times.

37 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I've seen him climb trees for freshwater plugs many times.

There was a tree at a trout pond that I like to fish that was starting to look like a Christmas tree with all the kastmasters and krocodiles that I lost in it. This particular tree, near my favorite spot on the pond, had a big branch that hung over the water.

Because of a rainy summer/fall, the water line was tighter to the trees so casting room was getting tight.

At one point I brought a surf rod with me and cast a cheap lure into the branch so I could pull it down and recover my lures. I got all but one back.  :)

Edited by zak-striper

27 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

with a pole saw during ice season at a popular pond you can full a bucket with lures in short time. 

Yup. Ice season is prime for getting lures out of the overhanging trees.

My kid is so passionate about finding plugs, he was seriously plotting ways to get the big tangle of plugs hanging from the overhead wires over a bridge we were fishing from. Obviously I reiterated that you don't go near wires.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:22 PM, codfish said:

:th:Any one willing to guess if this is the Canal or not?? 

It's not. There are no 2 bridge abutments that close together on the Canal, nor is there a tree growing that close to the water around any of the bridges.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver