Oldfordtruck

Fishing Log

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Looking to purchase a fishing log book.  Was wondering if there was a specific one that peeps like to use.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  

Just make one yourself.  Spiral bound notebook for $3.  Even better, keep your log on your PC and you can include photos.  Screen grabs of aerials, weather forecasts, etc.

For a log to really be useful to you in predicting future fishing, you need to track conditions not only the day that you fish but the several days in advance of when you fished.  But even if you don't, the log does make for a nice hardcopy memory of your season to enjoy during the offseason and in future years.

I keep a journal  every year. While I don’t keep track of everything in each entry I have a record to go back and look at.

A lot of it is stored away in my brain, it’s nice to go back and find that my memory is not that good sometimes. Part of getting old I guess.

2 hours ago, Oldfordtruck said:

Looking to purchase a fishing log book.  Was wondering if there was a specific one that peeps like to use.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  

Black and Composition book.

HH

Just use any version that you have.  Jot down your thoughts, observations, and experience as best you can recall.  Make sure to include how any others may have done that were with you so you get an accurate account of what happened.  Although You might have had a bad outing others may have done better and that is good to note.  

I've been using a surveyors field book for my log. These are designed to be used outdoors and are small and very sturdy. I put the hours run on the engine (never trusted the fuel gauge), what I caught and with what, tide etc. Your choice of what matters Always fun to see what happened, where it happened, tide etc. Every year is a new chapter.

I used a small notebook for many years but eventually moved to a spreadsheet.  I'm an IT geek so I have some bells and whistles in mine, but it doesn't have to be.  The best thing I did was pre-populate dropdowns which makes things quick because I get lazy.  The sheet also give you the ability to sort which helps you plan. 

Maybe that "techie" in your family can help you set one up if you're so inclined, if not an old school book also works. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A calendar.  Write down relevant conditions each day and then record days you fish and your success. The big desktop ones with lots of space to write. 

Edited by TheSuperApe

Ive been using the notes on my phone. Backed up to icloud so i dont ever have to worry about losing it, and if i have alot to type i can open the same note from my laptop to type it out