Shag

Aluminun Flat bed replacement on F350

16 posts in this topic

I’d like to replace the bed in my 2006 F350 with an aluminum flatbed with tool boxes under it.”

Anyone have a source for a used one? 

Not sure of any Manufacturers but I see quite a few of them down here in South Florida. Mainly Farmers and truck mechanics. some pretty snazzy ones to I must say. Maybe a search on the local social media classifieds. Treasure Coast and S. Florida.

3 hours ago, JPO said:

Not sure of any Manufacturers but I see quite a few of them down here in South Florida. Mainly Farmers and truck mechanics. some pretty snazzy ones to I must say. Maybe a search on the local social media classifieds. Treasure Coast and S. Florida.

Thanks for info. Actually in the process of going for a new flatbed. Painting the chassis today, had the bed pulled off last week, wire wheeled the rust, new Band W gooseneck installed on chassis yesterday. Pics are bed and chassis after being taken off. Forgot about replaced both stacks of rear springs and mounting hardware.

EB70745F-11CD-4817-91C1-748129083EF7.jpeg

C3C3890F-CFE5-4409-982D-BE8587EE796A.jpeg

How bad is the rest of the bed ?   You can buy replacement bed rails that weld on.  That is what I did on my 06 when they got bad.

51 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

How bad is the rest of the bed ?   You can buy replacement bed rails that weld on.  That is what I did on my 06 when they got bad.

That was the plan, until we had to cut the bed off. Fender wells had cancer, bottom of tailgate rusted through. My under bed fifth wheel rails over the chassis had empty spots between the bolts, and the replacement is unavailable.

I know it is far from you but there is a place in Bangor called CM Truck Beds.  They do aluminum beds and their prices seem reasonable .

15 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

I know it is far from you but there is a place in Bangor called CM Truck Beds.  They do aluminum beds and their prices seem reasonable .

Thanks for the reference. I’m going with a Martin, made in PA.

There’s a dealer that has one in stock out here on the North Fork. He got the bed off, so I could get what I needed done. Although, I’m still waiting for the Timbren air coil bunk stops, to arrive.  Hopefully bed will be installed next week. Time frame just didn’t allow for a lot of travel.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:31 AM, giant basshole said:

Probably a good time to grow a new fuel pump and brake lines at it .

Absolutely.  Bed is off.  Git er done.   Rear diff as well.  

Diff was serviced 10k miles ago. 
Brake lines appear to be stainless. At less than 300 lbs the bed could come off again if a big project was needed. New Bilstein 5100s installed yesterday, two new spring stacks as well. Tank vent hoses when the rain stops. New B and W gooseneck installed.  Here’s before and after of the chassis. 

41F63CFA-05AF-4852-8D0F-0408AF3BF53C.png

1AB8F454-8430-497B-BA69-C85B95E3EC9A.png

CE0636F8-AABB-4DA7-B70B-8787C69CF74C.jpeg

6F40FF6E-DC11-4754-8699-5D84F3B43A2B.jpeg

9 hours ago, JPO said:

How did you make out with your aluminum flatbed project?

So far so good. Bed’s on and usable. Still have the forward part of the chassis and front end to wire wheel and paint. The Timbren front suspension enhancement system, and Bilstein 5100’s go next. E6E7571E-0982-40DC-B987-4E64499ACAF1.jpeg.8c7905380e5ccfa27e85909ed1e35c08.jpeg2B1FC8FA-EBE4-4535-9D07-E37916910087.jpeg.7dec8c725e129c4bdedd8cb7d6bc1af7.jpeg

Looks awesome! I really like the taillights. Toolbox, headache rack and fuel fill is clean looking. Didn't you have a Quigley before this?

2 hours ago, JPO said:

Looks awesome! I really like the taillights. Toolbox, headache rack and fuel fill is clean looking. Didn't you have a Quigley before this?

Never had a Quigley, but I love them. That hatch on the bed accesses the gooseneck hitch that will hold an Andersen Ultimate aluminum hitch that weighs 35lbs. The old Reese was close to a 100lbs, and as awkward as hell, to get in the bed where it stayed all season. There will be a bulkhead toolbox and side rails once I see  where the fiver sits. The Timbren system will help with some of the sag caused by “Jimmy The Welders (Hunter) over built cooler rack. 
Thanks!!!