Mainiac

Was a time.............

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

......... on a day such as today, I'd head to the OOB pier to scout out actively feeding stripers and blues. I'd walk out on the pier and glass first north then south along seven miles of beach. I'd look for feeding herring gulls. They were always the prime indicator of p-nuts. At times I'd spot several different groups of gulls workin'. I'd judge the distance from shore as I'm a fly guy. If close enough I'd drive up or down Grand ave. and try to cut off a feeding group. Then I'd book it to the water ahead of them. If hey came in range I'd often catch a dozen or more fish before they moved out of reach. next i'd re-establish contact with the next school by spot and run. 

i'd get stripers from 15"to 25 lbs. , depending on the school or slammer blues up to 15 lbs.. This was a regular thing from early September to the first of October. At least from 1977 thru 2004. After that there was a gradual reduction in the fishing leading to our current lack of fish.

It is a ha'ad thing to witness.:dismay:

3 hours ago, makomakoman said:

amen brother... 

I'm headed to RI for next week's new moon... lol

Lol I’m hitting cape. 207 takeover baby!!!

13 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I'd head to the OOB pier to scout out actively feeding stripers

I took a look at the beach the other day just before dinner with the dog, and my wife. Didn't even bring any rods for I wasnt expecting anything. IF there's any action I only live 2 minutes down the street. Other than 1 surf fisherman, the place was deserted. No birds and not a disturbance anywhere on the water. That's when I said AFD, All Friggin Done. I went home and broke down all my rods and slipped then into their tubes. My next cast will be on the beaches of Naples. Leaving Maine Tuesday. :howdy:

On 10/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mainiac said:

......... on a day such as today, I'd head to the OOB pier to scout out actively feeding stripers and blues. I'd walk out on the pier and glass first north then south along seven miles of beach. I'd look for feeding herring gulls. They were always the prime indicator of p-nuts. At times I'd spot several different groups of gulls workin'. I'd judge the distance from shore as I'm a fly guy. If close enough I'd drive up or down Grand ave. and try to cut off a feeding group. Then I'd book it to the water ahead of them. If hey came in range I'd often catch a dozen or more fish before they moved out of reach. next i'd re-establish contact with the next school by spot and run. 

i'd get stripers from 15"to 25 lbs. , depending on the school or slammer blues up to 15 lbs.. This was a regular thing from early September to the first of October. At least from 1977 thru 2004. After that there was a gradual reduction in the fishing leading to our current lack of fish.

Very sad to see, but states Like Mass will stop at nothing to fill quotas….. no matter what it takes to harvest the big breeder fish

I have never been a skilled angler but I used to fish  6 to 12 hours at a stretch in my kayak, from late afternoon until hours after midnight.  16 years ago: I remember sunsets in  New Castle, Little Harbor, herring surfacing at sunset; afternoons, big schools of pogies being chased by bluefish in the Piscataqua across from Spruce Creek, and nights when shining a flashlight near Leach Island made stripers jump.   The distinctive  popping sound made by of stripers feeding on baitfish...was heard throughout the backchannels.    Things are much quieter nowadays.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, makomakoman said:

amen brother... 

I'm headed to RI for next week's new moon... lol

So are a lot of other people.  RI gets invaded on the Oct new moon.

36 mins ago, Kooky said:

Especially when it lands on/near Columbus day. 

Do they still have the tri-state derby that weekend?

Those New Yawk guys know how to flood an area. 

Headlights up and down the beach all night long, headlamps shining from all the jetties all night long.

Was a time prob back in the early 90s when I was a kid, late July august.  My family and I would be down at the square in OOB. My parents would take us to the end of the pier to look out over the ocean. There were many a times when my dad saw busting schools of bluefish chasing pogies along the shore. We’d race home to our cottage on OOB so he could intercept those bluefish, throw his Big Mac plugs out from shore and catch as many fish til his arms couldn’t take it anymore. Those were the days. I was never old enough to experience those bluefish for myself but those memories of my father n grandfather catching fish off the beach will never be forgotten. 

45 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Especially when it lands on/near Columbus day. 

Do they still have the tri-state derby that weekend?

Those New Yawk guys know how to flood an area. 

Headlights up and down the beach all night long, headlamps shining from all the jetties all night long.

Bright lights and yellow license plates all around

2 hours ago, polizonte said:

I have never been a skilled angler but I used to fish  6 to 12 hours at a stretch in my kayak, from late afternoon until hours after midnight.  16 years ago: I remember sunsets in  New Castle, Little Harbor, herring surfacing at sunset; afternoons, big schools of pogies being chased by bluefish in the Piscataqua across from Spruce Creek, and nights when shining a flashlight near Leach Island made stripers jump.   The distinctive  popping sound made by of stripers feeding on baitfish...was heard throughout the backchannels.    Things are much quieter nowadays.

I fish or have fished the same areas in my kayak and this year I all but gave up night fishing. It's easy to stay out when it feels like anything could happen, but after enough lackluster nights where things feel dead it's hard to stay persistent. Never caught a blue in this area. I wish I was fishing the salt back in the good old days to at least know what it was once like... 

1 hour ago, Nbourque said:

There were many a times when my dad saw busting schools of bluefish chasing pogies along the shore.

18 mins ago, drmevo said:

I wish I was fishing the salt back in the good old days to at least know what it was once like... 

Saw it and fished it.....Just means I'm old.  :rav:

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mainiac said:

Those were awesome days, I also won’t forget your “newbie “ days were you welcomed anybody and taught so many. We didn’t have worry about about spot burning . We could anytime of day or tide and enjoy ! Thumbs sanded smooth, wearing out fly lines . Your 0300/ 0400 hours were awesome as 5-7  guys with headlamps heads out, most all even should up early. Keep fishing my friend, we still can like “the Old Man and Sea”:rav:

Edited by RAW
Correction

On 10/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, Kooky said:

it wasn't that bad...  a few places we went we had the place to ourselves... got mah PB surf-fishing bass the other night... :D