RedGreen

Covid19 materials supply chain disruptions the source of defective products

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I can't be the only one who has had mysterious failures in products bought fairly recently that should never have happened.

Lots of you have worked on cars and know how tough a brake rotor is. Check this out. 

Between me and a friend 5 Penn slammers dead, all main gear failure within 10 trips. Four 20' saltigas with various parts issues; stripped drag knobs and defective magseal ball bearings causing raspiness, in one case after it's first gentle rinsing in fresh water. Shimano tranx 400 bought late 2020 that lasted 5% of the usage of one bought in 2017 before the gears buzzed like crazy. Tranx 500 bought mid/early 2021 that has the same issue, actually went bad even faster. Phenix 927ML that exploded 30" above the blank butt under 20 lbs of drag at 90 degrees. 

Why is nobody talking about this? Am I just missing it? Lots of you have to be experiencing weird problems like this in all sorts of products. There's no way it's just me. How many others have had weird random issues due to what seems to be defective materials?

In May I had a bass amplifier repaired after 12 years of use. 100’s of gigs and practice hours. The entire circuit board was replaced and I was given back basically a new amp in a old chassis. 
Used it little since, 2 gigs and maybe 20 practice hours. Go to turn it on last week, no power,

Brought back to the shop, fuse is good. They open it up and one of the chips actually exploded. There was a burn spot where the chip was. He said he has never seen a failure like this in his 30 years of service.

Not surprised.. and it’s only going to get worse. The list of parts that are backordered/unavailable from FoMoCo right now is crazy.. brake pads/rotors on back orders, basic air filters back ordered… it’s not good. Nevermind the parts that are unavailable due to ‘labor shortage’ or ‘manufacturer went out of business’. 

There isn't an investment manager or manufacturing executive alive who doesn't wake up in the morning and wonder what American job he can outsource today. I wish Dan's thought could happen, but outsourcing without end has been a part of managerial religion for years, decades even, and I don't see that changing.

What kind of crap metal was that brake rotor made out of? How is that even possible that the whole cap sheared off. It makes me nervous about how many others are out there and the catastrophic failures that will happen. 

Just now, z-man said:

What kind of crap metal was that brake rotor made out of? How is that even possible that the whole cap sheared off. It makes me nervous about how many others are out there and the catastrophic failures that will happen. 

The exact same kind of crap metal that EVERYTHING is being made out of these days, and it's only going to get worse.

34 mins ago, z-man said:

Imagine buying a new car built in 2020 and it's totaled in 2K miles because the engine block cracked. Driving just around town. 

All because covid19

5 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Bring manufacturing back to the US. We are too accustomed to the sweetness of low price.  After that comes the bitterness of poor quality.

Tin man you speak the truth.  Republicans, Democrats,  independents,  all of us have sold out manufacturing in our country to save money by buying cheap goods from over seas.  We are all to blame. Most Americans would gladly put an American manufacture out of business in order to save a few bucks.  We the America consumer are the problem.