dannyplug1

GUIDE FOR IN LINE HOOKS ON COMMON PLUGS

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have begun to change some of my plugs over to owner in line singles.  I crunch down my barbs but I am tired of injuring fish and cutting my hands releasing fish. I have seen articulate reccomendinf certain sizes but I need to know sizes for the plugs I use frequently.  In specific, I need sizes for the regular northbar bottle darter, the north bar jr. bottle darter, beachmaster Danny six inch size, small mombo minnow, two ounce super strike little neck popppet, and the super strike bottle plug.  If others have favorite plugs please feel free to post.  Thanks Charlie 

Not sure of the others, but I frequently use the 5” mambos with 3/0 owner inlines any bigger and they do not swim right.

Posted (edited)

VMC inline is what I have used.  I think they were mostly the 2/0 and 3/0 size and the 5/0 for my biggest plugs.  Basically just used the size hook that looked appropriate for the plug.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

23 mins ago, Kima said:

You sure as hell don't want the 3/0 on a 13F SP. Learned that one the hard way.

Anytime you alter a plug it's a good practice to give it a test swim, particularly wooden lures. 

13 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

I have begun to change some of my plugs over to owner in line singles.  I crunch down my barbs but I am tired of injuring fish and cutting my hands releasing fish. I have seen articulate reccomendinf certain sizes but I need to know sizes for the plugs I use frequently.  In specific, I need sizes for the regular northbar bottle darter, the north bar jr. bottle darter, beachmaster Danny six inch size, small mombo minnow, two ounce super strike little neck popppet, and the super strike bottle plug.  If others have favorite plugs please feel free to post.  Thanks Charlie 

Inline's won't work right on plugs with swivel hangers.

If you do use them you'll find out.

HH

45 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Inline's won't work right on plugs with swivel hangers.

If you do use them you'll find out.

HH

Thanks didn’t think of that.  Just trying to cause less damage to 5he fish and me

I have been using mustad singles on the back of my plugs. 2/0-5/0 depending on the plug. 2/0 or 3/0 on SP, bomber, and mag darter type plugs

4/0 and 5/0 on bigger needles and poppers 

What makes anyone think some chart put together by some :guy somewhere will be the best decision for the environment and conditions that YOU are fishing? How do you think the decision on what style, size, brand was determined? Do you believe each and every size, style, brand and combination was tested before recommendation? Does anyone believe that someone else knows what will work better for you other than yourself? How could anyone change things up across the board without experimenting for themselves first? Have you compared the "stock" hooks with the "chart" hooks to what you think is best? Impossible to change one character in an equation without changing the outcome. Small changes make big differences, sometimes better and sometimes not.

Anywhere from 3/0 to 5/0 depending on the plug....you really have to mess with it as with some plugs the hook can snag on the top.  For swimmers, I'm done trying with the SP's and Hydro's....and I tried it all.  Lately, I'm loving the Rapala X-Rap Long Cast swimmers with factory inlines.     

2 hours ago, SC said:

What makes anyone think some chart put together by some :guy somewhere will be the best decision for the environment and conditions that YOU are fishing? How do you think the decision on what style, size, brand was determined? Do you believe each and every size, style, brand and combination was tested before recommendation? Does anyone believe that someone else knows what will work better for you other than yourself? How could anyone change things up across the board without experimenting for themselves first? Have you compared the "stock" hooks with the "chart" hooks to what you think is best? Impossible to change one character in an equation without changing the outcome. Small changes make big differences, sometimes better and sometimes not.

I totally agree with this but a little aggressive in the delivery. Perhaps the op is just looking for some basic recommendations so he doesn't have to drop $50 on a bunch of different hook sizes only to find out just two work and the rest are worthless.  There ARE certain 'generalities' that do fit no matter what the circumstances are.

1 hour ago, Mandoborg said:

I totally agree with this but a little aggressive in the delivery. Perhaps the op is just looking for some basic recommendations so he doesn't have to drop $50 on a bunch of different hook sizes only to find out just two work and the rest are worthless.  There ARE certain 'generalities' that do fit no matter what the circumstances are.

I've always been a little rough around the edges, I apologize for coming across harshly but I wouldn't be interjecting if I wasn't trying to help. I fished a long time and over those years I've seen many different hooks used by many different manufacturers for the exact same lure. Why?, they all can't be thought of as "best" by the manufacturer. Eventually I concluded the reason for the disparity in hooks had little to do with the effectiveness of the lure they were installed on. I think spending $50 on an assortment of hooks would be the best investment any caster could make and I guess I'll never be able to comprehend why someone would spend $100 on a single plug but not invest $50 for an assortment of hooks and hardware that will pinpoint the best combination for that plug and every plug the caster owns. I guess that was the point I was trying to get across but failed in the delivery. 

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

Thanks didn’t think of that.  Just trying to cause less damage to 5he fish and me

You're welcome and I will say this, those in lines when they do hook a fish they hook it so deep I mean they really dig in the very few times that I have used them and actually hook the fish with them they were buried all the way to the bend, it could just be those few times that I can count on one hand but they really do dig in deep.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter