October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

9 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Can’t spot burn since I have all these fish to myself but it’s north of nj and south of Canada :wee:D64E3583-CC68-4D4E-A65F-4FB3D3DF3A3D.jpeg.21d24baddc1f7d9be48f8a87033d0aed.jpeg

couple years ago we did an airbnb family trip to a house on the water in chaumont bay.  finally got a couple hours to myself to take the yak out, found the weedline and marked a ton of fish so dropped down a dropshot, within 2 minutes i had a def PB smallie, but couldnt get it up to see it and broke off.  re tied and dropped right down again, hooked up to an even bigger one, finally got it to the net and it was a freshwater drum about 8#.  those bastids bothered me the whole trip thank god we dont have them in nj theyre like the bluefish of freshwater

NE wind didn't live up to its reputation this morning.  Good looking bass water but never found any.  Started up in the north country and had one swimmer chopped off.  Made a move to the south and pulled out a single small blue.  Saw some birds picking way off shore just never could find any bait in close.  Still lots of bugs around so gave that a try and had one pickup but didn't get the hook.  Will stay closer to home in the morning and hope the NE wind does its thing.

Oc started at 7 ish . Wanted the outgoing. Had rocks to myself which was shocking. Hell of a nice day. Had over a dozen shorts but they had some weight to em. Blues no bigger than 6 lbs and 1 weakie decent size. Everything was on clouds of rain fish. Luckily they weren’t picky …top water ruled the day but plenty on metal and bucktails. Had to get rid of the barrel swivel. The blues would bite it after I had a fish on and cut me off. Water was perfect.  

2 hours ago, blind squirl said:

Mike, I had the same results this morning. I made some casts and said ,” I’m getting a bass on this cast” cause the water looked so good but didn’t get a hit. Oh well. I always seam to struggle the first couple weeks of October. 

Past few Octobers have been brutal for me out front. Seems like the resident fish follow the mullet out and no migratory fish to fill in the void. Gotta love juicy water though when you can get hit at any time...or so it seems.

Gave it a go this evening water is nice, warm a bit dirty roiling perfect Too much garbage/ cabbage for my taste NE no issue and a tad of a N to S sweep that was helping; will be more dramatic on the outgoing A few little rats, participation was high & I actually saw another rat caught No bait visible or birds picking would still be out there if the cabbage wasn’t getting worse in the pockets Making dinner getting ready for some Yankee baseball 

47 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Pretty much the same as @suntzu . MoCo from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Same conditions as he reported, except not a bump. One word of caution; there was quite a bit of wood on the beach, some decent size. Saw wood in the water, with one piece pretty big.piece bobbing up and down. 

I was not fishing but couple weeks ago last day fluke season on beach NE wind multiple times had to take degraded plastic off my line. As much as I dislike beach replenishment the amount of trash we deposit in the ocean is a much bigger threat to fisheries and other wildlife 

Fished Sandy Hook incoming, the light NE wind allowed us to fish the front for change. Had one bass on for a short fight but lost in battle. Whales and dolphins were feasting just off the beach on the large schools of bunker which blackened the water. Take the kids to see them feeding after school. 

Note: one fish at SH is not spot burning. It's a pathetic report for October...damm surf gods.

11 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Fished Sandy Hook incoming, the light NE wind allowed us to fish the front for change. Had one bass on for a short fight but lost in battle. Whales and dolphins were feasting just off the beach on the large schools of bunker which blackened the water. Take the kids to see them feeding after school. 

Note: one fish at SH is not spot burning. It's a pathetic report for October...damm surf gods.

Saw you out there Salty, you and the other guy were in a hot summer fluke spot!

• Sudsy locked this topic