UncleJohn

October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

862 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Dead out front in MoCo for me too. Pods of bunker way out floating by with nothing on them. The previous week I had some success fishing at night with needles. Caught one nice fish last Friday night on a SS. Been fishing needles hard this fall to try and gain confidence in this plug. This week though was a totally different story. Couldn't get anything going out front or out back.

I also noticed a small leak in my waders this week. Filled them with water in a tub and couldn't find the leak, sprayed the inside with rubbing alcohol and didn't notice any dark spots. Not sure what else to try. I don't have an air hose to try and find bubbles after submersing them. Any other methods you guys know about would be greatly appreciated!

For the gentleman trying to perfect his bucktail craft, make sure you don't go to heavy! Using the right weight for the right conditions is crucial. When I first started learning this lure I always wanted to strap on a 1 Oz and heave it as far as I could. But I ended always reeling to fast to keep it off the bottom. I usually only throw between 1/2 and 3/4 unless real rough outside. I like to fish them as slow as possible mainly on open beaches and jetty pockets.

Edited by Juanma25

On 10/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, saltyh2ofly said:

Hit the back of NoMoCo this afternoon as the front was not worth it, a fisherman coming off the beach had one bluefish 20" on a popper. Tyed this fly at lunch by 3:30 it was destroyed by 6 to 8lbs bluefish. Put on a top water Gurgler and had a chunk school bass about 22'. Few fish on tons of bait they just move onto another pod of 4" bunker. Its the birds pointing the way as the bait is pushed on top.

FB_IMG_1634874225175.jpg

Great tie. I have been dying to get some blues on the fly via boat but my last few trips I could not find them any where. I hope they show up in numbers this fall. 

21 mins ago, Juanma25 said:

I also noticed a small leak in my waders this week. Filled them with water in a tub and couldn't find the leak, sprayed the inside with rubbing alcohol and didn't notice any dark spots. Not sure what else to try. I don't have an air hose to try and find bubbles after submersing them. Any other methods you guys know about would be greatly appreciated!

I learned it here from one of the nice folks of SOL. Use a flashlight inside your waders in a dark room. Turn it inside out if need be and repeat. Goodluck. 

42 mins ago, Juanma25 said:

Dead out front in MoCo for me too. Pods of bunker way out floating by with nothing on them. The previous week I had some success fishing at night with needles. Caught one nice fish last Friday night on a SS. Been fishing needles hard this fall to try and gain confidence in this plug. This week though was a totally different story. Couldn't get anything going out front or out back.

For the gentleman trying to perfect his bucktail craft, make sure you don't go to heavy! Using the right weight for the right conditions is crucial. When I first started learning this lure I always wanted to strap on a 1 Oz and heave it as far as I could. But I ended always reeling to fast to keep it off the bottom. I usually only throw between 1/2 and 3/4 unless real rough outside. I like to fish them as slow as possible mainly on open beaches and jetty pockets.

Try a flashlight

Outback last night 8pm to 1am. Met my buddy at his secret spot. Started real slow but ended up being a good night. Good number of fish caught and some decent sized keepers in the mix. Most fish were caught on smaller mag darters and hydro minnows. As the bite started to slow down again a number of folks showed up, so we left. The spot wasn't so secret after all. 

9 mins ago, adoboboy said:

Outback last night 8pm to 1am. Met my buddy at his secret spot. Started real slow but ended up being a good night. Good number of fish caught and some decent sized keepers in the mix. Most fish were caught on smaller mag darters and hydro minnows. As the bite started to slow down again a number of folks showed up, so we left. The spot wasn't so secret after all. 

Look at you crushing it.  Do you provide guide service

7 mins ago, Goldy said:

Look at you crushing it.  Do you provide guide service

My buddy can provide guide service but he said you would need to wear an inflatable

T-rex costume while fishing. 

Son had crew practice Rutgers New Brunswick today and an adult bunker jumped into skull boat. Freaked one of kids out my son just threw back in water. Do people actually fish that far back. Personally I don’t care I do not fish north of 195. Just seems pretty far back for menhaden.

Nothing changing for me this morning.  Make a move to the north country but it didn't matter since the skunk tagged along for the ride.  We visited two other spots together before I pointed the car back home.  At least the water was looking better now that the lake like conditions are gone, and  surf is forecast to build through the week starting Monday.  At this point looking for anything that might get these fish on the move out front.