October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

12 hours ago, bechill11 said:

Thats what i need help with. Would love to learn how to fish a bucktail.  Been trying it over the years but never have landed one yet or got one to hit at all for that much

33 mins ago, MattieG said:

Pickup the John Skinner “fishing the bucktail” or “Striper pursuit” books. They should help you understand how to fish it.

20211021_103620.jpg.9b4675c423e510aea4ccc6b606739c89.jpg

I read Doc's book years ago and immediately started catching on bucktails. I've migrated away from some of the technique in the book. (Cant buy Uncle Josh rinds anymore, but I still have a stash.) Added to some of it. About half my surf bass have come on bucktails since reading it. It's my absolute go-to offering.  Not that I'm a sharpie or have lots of trophy fish too show for it. Most of the other half fell to one specific redhead CC pencil. :laugh:

Hot dogs were invented in 1936 by Larry Hotdogs when he accidentally dropped a bag of prize-winning pig buttholes into his Dick Shaper Machine. :read:

34 mins ago, levari said:

Fishing with bucktails by William "Doc" Muller is the best...

:laugh:. What he said.

Hot dogs were invented in 1936 by Larry Hotdogs when he accidentally dropped a bag of prize-winning pig buttholes into his Dick Shaper Machine. :read:

4 hours ago, ICastAsJason said:

Have to say, in reading the reports, was happy to be on these little guys last night out back in OC. Tons of bait and tails slapping all around. Fun for last two hours of incoming, then when tide stopped moving, the bite did too. Light tackle night.  

20211020_191914.jpg

That a 2400 creek chub? What size treble is on that? I’ve got one in my freshwater box I used to use on LMB, stock hooks too small for stripers.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

7 hours ago, Niffty said:

20211021_103620.jpg.9b4675c423e510aea4ccc6b606739c89.jpg

I read Doc's book years ago and immediately started catching on bucktails. I've migrated away from some of the technique in the book. (Cant buy Uncle Josh rinds anymore, but I still have a stash.) Added to some of it. About half my surf bass have come on bucktails since reading it. It's my absolute go-to offering.  Not that I'm a sharpie or have lots of trophy fish too show for it. Most of the other half fell to one specific redhead CC pencil. :laugh:

Got cha 6” curly tail is as good as uncle Josh... I’m catching them daily with 1oz Andrus jetty and 6” curly tail. 

Thank you for the insight on the bucktail fishing. I have def been doing it wrong after reading your posts.  I was basically hopping it all the way back to me. Just off the bottom on a slow retrieve makes sense and best with light bucktails. Was always wondering how guys were killing them with 1/2 and 3/4 bucktails. I was basically dragging it along the bottom.  I am def going to get the book sounds like it will help a lot as well.  Appreciate all you guys and the help. Hoping to get out tomorrow.

20 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

I know a guy that had a plug snap back at his eye where it sank its hooks. Surgeries and rehab still hasn't made it normal. Even cheap glasses are better than none but no substitute for buying a good pair.  I fly fish and have had a hook end up on my hat, my back and stuck in my hand.....but I always crimp barbs and wear glasses (I have to, the make me see better). They help when you get a wave in the face as well.

Would that be me or you know 2 guys :howdy:

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

2 mins ago, R.O.G said:

Decided to try and get them from the other side today and hit S.I. Water was murky and crab shed incredible. Lots of participants, didn’t see anything caught. Missed 2, days like this make me second guess the single back hook.

Put the treble back on 

i cheated again. Jumped on a boat.   Sun came up 100 boats in a fleet quickly swelled to 200. 
Awful morning.  

On 10/20/2021 at 9:58 PM, bechill11 said:

Thats what i need help with. Would love to learn how to fish a bucktail.  Been trying it over the years but never have landed one yet or got one to hit at all for that much

I recently finished Fishing With Bucktails by William "Doc" Muller. He noted that, when first using bucktails, most people get frustrated with them and stick them back into their surf bag after a few casts. His advice is to go out with bucktails only and to fish with them exclusively for a few months. Sooner or later, you will get a feel for them. I'm not a great angler, but I did this and have seen a lot of success. 

For instance, at dusk yesterday, out front in MOCO, a stiff south wind sent the surf onto the south side of a jetty. The deflection of water from the jetty, coupled with the incoming waves and current, created a strong rip about ten feet off the jetty. It was perfect bucktailing conditions. I threw out a 1.5 ounce white bucktail trailed with a 4" Uncle Josh Pork Rind (you can still find them on Ebay) and within a few casts hooked up onto a keeper size striper. 

Good luck gentlemen. Some moving water, finally. 

• Sudsy locked this topic